Babylon 5: TKO

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Babylon 5: TKO

Post by FaxModem1 »

As a kid, I really enjoyed Susan's sideplot with the Rabbi. The scene where they discuss whether or not an alien fish is kosher was the best part of the episode, in my mind. As problems like this is something that would actually happen in the future, due to our traditions, cultures, and religions are going to encounter alien traditions, cultures, and religions. It's a cute little slice of life scene of a religious mentor and our main character, a full grown adult who has experienced the world, exposing him to part of it.

The TKO plotline was boring to me, even as a kid.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

The one thing the episode had going for it was the cheeky mention of "You never did learn to watch your back Garibaldi" just a handful of episodes before the season finale.

But even then, it was still like 8 episodes out from the finale, so if JMS had never pointed it out I doubt I ever would have noticed that as something that was supposed to be a re-watch stinger.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Does anyone notice that the woman in front of Walker Smith appears to be a Dilgar (11:51)?

Does anyone else assume that the "humans not allowed" rule is something that every race has to face the first time one of theirs wants to be in the Mutai? Is there a particular resentment against humans, or had we just not proven our worth yet?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

G-Man wrote:Does anyone notice that the woman in front of Walker Smith appears to be a Dilgar (11:51)?

Does anyone else assume that the "humans not allowed" rule is something that every race has to face the first time one of theirs wants to be in the Mutai? Is there a particular resentment against humans, or had we just not proven our worth yet?
Season 1 of B5 treated the Earth Alliance a lot like 20th century USA, (such as in Midnight on the Firing Line where EA is treated like the US trying to be the galaxy's police), even though the circumstances for it didn't really make sense. In TKO's case, it's of this Western civilization barging it's way into other people's cultures, and how other cultures don't view it as a place for wealthy Americans, or in this case, wealthy Earthers, to interfere in, even though Earth is usually the racist of the bunch who wants to keep themselves pure, and not the Federation type who tries to bring in the melting pot.
Revolverman
Redshirt

Post by Revolverman »

Watching this, it hit me. TKO has a near identical plot to... Power Punch 2. The NES game that was meant to be the sequel to Punch-Out! but was so awful Nintendo pulled the plug on it.
Wild_Kraken
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Wild_Kraken »

When I was going through B5 for the first time, I had heard chuck rag on TKO in his other reviews, and was pretty excited to watch the worst B5 episode. But, as far as bad episodes go, it's not terrible. It's just boring as hell. There's gotta be some season 5 episode that beats TKO in sheer awfulness.
ConorJMS
Redshirt

Post by ConorJMS »

Did anyone else start thinking about the Tau when the sensei showed up
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

I wonder what will be the next Worst episodes
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Redem wrote:I wonder what will be the next Worst episodes
Has Stargate Atlantis had a turn yet? I know SG-1 has but can’t recall if Atlantis has or if it’s just had ‘Avoid’s so far.

Clone Wars has been covered a lot so that’s another potential candidate.

If Doctor Who gets divided between Classic and NuWho, then NuWho could get a turn.

Extremely unlikely, but we know two more Star Wars films are in the pipeline, so if Chuck is restricting SW film reviews to the OT, one of those could be viable, and if it’s not restricted to the OT the Holiday Special would potentially be in the running.

An honourable mention could go to Kanazuki No Miko or whatever it was called as not a worst episode, but worst series Chuck has ever covered.

On a side note, an idea for a new SFDebris tradition, as the Winter Solstice is traditionally the worst episode, how about making the Summer Solstice be for the best episode of a series? Trek is probably out as most, if not all 10s have been covered (unless a special edition review was made), but all the other series could probably get a look in.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Dînadan wrote:Has Stargate Atlantis had a turn yet? I know SG-1 has but can’t recall if Atlantis has or if it’s just had ‘Avoid’s so far.

Clone Wars has been covered a lot so that’s another potential candidate.

If Doctor Who gets divided between Classic and NuWho, then NuWho could get a turn.
Does it get worse than "Love and Monsters" or "Fear Her?" Maybe it does; I haven't seen all the later seasons.
Dînadan wrote: Extremely unlikely, but we know two more Star Wars films are in the pipeline, so if Chuck is restricting SW film reviews to the OT, one of those could be viable, and if it’s not restricted to the OT the Holiday Special would potentially be in the running.

An honourable mention could go to Kanazuki No Miko or whatever it was called as not a worst episode, but worst series Chuck has ever covered.
All good picks, I think. I can't think of a really bad Justice League episode, but some weren't as good as others.