Dredd

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Dredd

Post by Fianna »

The promised review of Dredd is up, adding to the "Chuck lectures on awesome and deadly things" series.

https://www.sfdebris.com/videos/films/dredd.php
stryke
Captain

Re: Dredd

Post by stryke »

I was not expecting "Chuck lectures on awesome and deadly things" to be a series, but I very much appreciate it.

Also dang, Dredd was so ludicrously good. It's the one film I regret not watching in 3d in a cinema. Mostly that was a pretty rubbish overly dark experience, but man this really looked like it would have been amazing.

Best thing about it is it nails Dredd in that for him this is just another Tuesday in Megacity same 'ol same 'ol, and he's doing stuff like this most days.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Yeah, that's great - at the end, just sums it up for their boss as "Drug bust".
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

I think this movie might did better if the movie came out with only "Dredd" in the title, and not "Dredd 3D" during a time when audience were started to move away from 3D films.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

Dredd and The Raid: Redemption make a great double feature. Both are gritty, action-packed and make great use of their claustrophobic settings, they both have a big action piece in a drug lab too. Though the former is based more on gunplay while the latter is directed towards martial arts.

One thing that always stands out to me is how well Karl Urban acted not just with most of his face concealed but wearing Dredd's trademark scowl for the whole of the film. It takes a special kind of talent to display touches of emotion while playing a stoic character. There's only a couple of times when his voice breaks away from his normal rasp but rewatches show the little inflections he gives here and there. Proving there's a lot more depth and emotionality than you'd get from the standard action hero.

A shame there wasn't a proper sequel. At least The Raid got one.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

I would pay money to see a Cursed Earth movie.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I never knew it was out in theaters until I got the blue ray for Christmas from my cousin. Like wow, Karl Urban is in this? Awesome!

But go figure, that Blu-ray was faulty and came with no sound and no it wasn't my player. I eventually swapped it out, but getting a Blu-ray with no sound is what I immediately think when it comes to this movie.
I got nothing to say here.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

stellar_coyote wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:22 am Dredd and The Raid: Redemption make a great double feature. Both are gritty, action-packed and make great use of their claustrophobic settings, they both have a big action piece in a drug lab too. Though the former is based more on gunplay while the latter is directed towards martial arts.

One thing that always stands out to me is how well Karl Urban acted not just with most of his face concealed but wearing Dredd's trademark scowl for the whole of the film. It takes a special kind of talent to display touches of emotion while playing a stoic character. There's only a couple of times when his voice breaks away from his normal rasp but rewatches show the little inflections he gives here and there. Proving there's a lot more depth and emotionality than you'd get from the standard action hero.

A shame there wasn't a proper sequel. At least The Raid got one.
Karl joked that he had a sticky note inside the helmet

SCOWL HARDER!
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Wargriffin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:59 pm Karl joked that he had a sticky note inside the helmet

SCOWL HARDER!
Hah, that's amazing. I like the film even more now :D