Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
LavarosVA
Officer

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by LavarosVA »

Rocketboy1313 wrote:He was far too kind to Doctor Who's "The End of Time". I consider it to be a bloated, poorly plotted, over acted, dumpster fire made all the worse for being the final for what remains the most popular of the modern Doctors.

I compare the death of 10 to the death of 9 and it suffers CONSIDERABLY. 10 dies whining that it has to end, 9 dies happy for having been.
Here's the thing about Ten that excuses his ranting and shouting to the heavens for me: for everything he gained, he always lost more. He gained a companion and they would be torn away, he saved the earth so many times, and had to watch as his friends began to resent him for his actions. He gained a true best friend, only to have to be the one to destroy that friendship for her life. And at his greatest moment of victory, when he thinks he's averted the worst, all indicators that this would be where he dies and he accepted it... and then comes Wilfred Mott, a man who he would be proud to call his father be the cause of his death? After all the losses he suffers, the wins he gets despite the stakes, and his life will be sacrificed for one man. He's got every right to act the way he does.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Well let's also be fair, the Voyager team struck paydirt with a really good child actor. I can forgive the fudge over firing her to get the calliber of one of the "age appropriate" kids from rascals. xD
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

His massive dislike for anyone who doesn't love having as high tech a society as possible is something I strongly disagree with. True, whenever episodes feature such they're usually pretty naive / ignorant / unpleasant characters, but then again they usually seem set up as strawmen by people who fail to grasp that a high tech world isn't for everyone (or are as ignorant as some of their characters are). And unfortunately he falls for it.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Riedquat wrote:His massive dislike for anyone who doesn't love having as high tech a society as possible is something I strongly disagree with. True, whenever episodes feature such they're usually pretty naive / ignorant / unpleasant characters, but then again they usually seem set up as strawmen by people who fail to grasp that a high tech world isn't for everyone (or are as ignorant as some of their characters are). And unfortunately he falls for it.
I agree with you. There needs to be balance, advanced technology is wonderful but you shouldn't be completely reliant on it the way most humans in Star Trek seem to be, there needs to be education on how to survive without it. Also the way some characters like Barcley want to live their entire lives in a holodeck is rather disturbing, makes you wonder just how many people in the 24th century Trek universe actually get away with that...
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

People like Barcley are just the 24th century version of hikikomori.

Also, I don't take it so much as Chuck thinking everyone has to want to live a high-tech world so much as a reaction against the rather naive depiction of "rural simplicity." I've lived the rural life, and I'm right there with him when it comes to what he talked about in the Insurrection intro. I don't know, if anything I'm a bit amused by what city folk apparently think of rural life. Kind of like the hippie version of Natives, as seen in such great examples as Chakotay, or the Na'vi in Avatar.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Admiral X wrote:People like Barcley are just the 24th century version of hikikomori.

Also, I don't take it so much as Chuck thinking everyone has to want to live a high-tech world so much as a reaction against the rather naive depiction of "rural simplicity." I've lived the rural life, and I'm right there with him when it comes to what he talked about in the Insurrection intro. I don't know, if anything I'm a bit amused by what city folk apparently think of rural life. Kind of like the hippie version of Natives, as seen in such great examples as Chakotay, or the Na'vi in Avatar.
Insurrection was the example I was thinking of when I was thinking of scenarios that look like they were set up as strawmen to attack, because of how ridiculous it is. But the very concept of a desiring a simpler and more hands-on life gets criticised as much as the hopeless examples on screen. IMO wanting that doesn't necessarily mean rejecting every new idea (I wouldn't be posting on the internet otherwise). I've no desire to slave in the wind and rain from dawn till dusk every day, but neither do I want the easy life of the humans in Walll-E, and I actually much prefer having a certain level of day to day chores (where there's enough technology to take the unpleasant edge off - thank you vacuum cleaner instead of a broom and dustpan, but I have no desire for a robot vacuum cleaner).
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Riedquat wrote:
Admiral X wrote:People like Barcley are just the 24th century version of hikikomori.

Insurrection was the example I was thinking of when I was thinking of scenarios that look like they were set up as strawmen to attack, because of how ridiculous it is. But the very concept of a desiring a simpler and more hands-on life gets criticised as much as the hopeless examples on screen. IMO wanting that doesn't necessarily mean rejecting every new idea (I wouldn't be posting on the internet otherwise). I've no desire to slave in the wind and rain from dawn till dusk every day, but neither do I want the easy life of the humans in Walll-E, and I actually much prefer having a certain level of day to day chores (where there's enough technology to take the unpleasant edge off - thank you vacuum cleaner instead of a broom and dustpan, but I have no desire for a robot vacuum cleaner).
Interesting that you bring this up, I too enjoy a certain amount of effort from day to day life, it helps make it all feel real, like you're in control and helps keep things in perspective, in my opinion.

This is something I discussed with some other people on a Silent Hill forum years ago. I would actually like a life that really challenged me, I don't mean in terms of being a homeless drifter, because that's quite a lonely, cold and hopeless existence if you don't have some friends or support to fall back on now and then. The people I discussed this subject with were quite average people like myself who did straight-forward jobs with long hours. They said that if they had the chance they would rather be individually powerful, but living a sort of scary, adventurous fantasy life that challenged them. I guess Batman would be a good example of this. They also said that this was one of the reasons they loved the Silent Hill games, I guess they were bordering on being 'nightmare fetishists.' I won't get too in depth here but human myth, fantasy and our primal desire for power, thrills, excitement and adventure is a subject that really fascinates me.

This also ties into the idea I brought up of living most, if not all your life in a Holodeck. You could effectively be God and live life exactly as you desired, providing you had a way around the issue of power outages and any other technical issues that may arise. It's also quite worrying as well as you'd miss out on all the perks of an actual real life as well, even if you had a completely different concept of what was 'real' and 'genuine' and what was not.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

I think the problem the writers were trying to address was not so much about technology but the extremely materialistic philosophy espoused by the full Roddenberry vision of early TNG which pushes the idea that moral perfection can be achieved through technology and once warp drive, replicators and such were invented the entire human race turned into Dudley Do-rights and could comfortably look down on their morally inferior barbarian ancestors.

I think Ba'ku were a botched attempt at trying to show that high-tech didn't automatically mean morally superior with the high-tech Son'a being the villains. Obviously their most successful challenge to the Roddenberry materialism are the Borg, who are what the Federation might look like to someone who doesn't agree with that philosophy.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Atlantic: The Lost Empire and Justice League: Unlimited Epilogue.

For the former I actually like the film and think its a bit underrated and don't agree with his assessment of Milo as I felt he really did grow as a person and most of the problems that he was related to are mistakes that anyone in his position would make.

And as for the latter its the opposite as I feel the episode is very overrated and does a great deserves to Terry's character as he goes from a every man who choose to be Batman to he was genetically destined to be Batman and no I do not consider Terry saying that Bruce is like a father to him foreshadowing of his "True" lineage because by that logic, Dick and Tim should also be Bruce's biological sons.

With that said, I still respect Chuck's opinion and to date these are the Only times I've disagreed with his opinions and I'm still a huge fan of his work. So Chuck if you're reading this silly little comment I still love this channel and I can't wait for more. :)
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

I don’t think A Night in Sickbay is that bad. I don’t particularly like the episode, but Enterprise and other Trek shows have worse.

I admit I have not seen Voyager since it came out, but I didn’t like Seven. It felt like she was focused in every episode after her introduction, either in the main plot or a side story. I could be remembering that wrong though. She started out as a great character, but she became an overused gimmick, smothering the other characters. (Admittedly, with the exception of DS9, Trek is pretty lousy with handling all of its characters. Every other show relies too much on the same few characters.)