Star Trek Discovery: The Vulcan Hello

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Meushell
Officer

Re: Star Trek Discovery: The Vulcan Hello

Post by Meushell »

WhiteDragon25 wrote:Oh man, I have been waiting for this review. I hope Chuck absolutely rips it to shreds, because STD truly is a most terrible insult to virtually everything what Star Trek is and stands for. No Star Trek fan should tolerate such a slap in the face, least of all Chuck, whose very career has been built around it.
Please, don’t speak for an entire fan base. I enjoy the show myself.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

WhiteDragon25 wrote:Oh man, I have been waiting for this review. I hope Chuck absolutely rips it to shreds, because STD truly is a most terrible insult to virtually everything what Star Trek is and stands for. No Star Trek fan should tolerate such a slap in the face, least of all Chuck, whose very career has been built around it.
Care to elaborate?
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

^It's "SJW" because it has non-white-straight-males in it
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Arguably the show takes into account two of Chuck's biggest criticisms: it has the character conflict that early TNG lacked and it never hits any Voyager style reset buttons.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

The show is fine as a show. But it doesn't feel like Star Trek at all.

Also still don't get why they changed the Klingons so much.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Durandal_1707 wrote:^It's "SJW" because it has non-white-straight-males in it
There are plenty of legitimate complaints about the show. I hate the term SJW and diversity is good. Though I do think the makers were far too 'in your face' about it and tooting their own horns. I'm gay, I like gay characters, I don't need 'hey look at us, we have gay characters!' But anyway, lots of reasons besides any of that. Of course I don't speak for the other guy so I don't know what his specific issues are with it. But you don't speak for him either.
GandALF wrote:Arguably the show takes into account two of Chuck's biggest criticisms: it has the character conflict that early TNG lacked and it never hits any Voyager style reset buttons.
It has conflict because everyone's an asshole from what I've heard. And, well, that is on display in the first episode from our 'hero' with what she did.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Please. You can't insult Star Trek anymore. Voyager and Enterprise still exist.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

I think he might come in middle of the road in both. That it's OK sci-fi and OK Star Trek. Both have room to improve, and chances are it will have the time it needs to improve.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Enjoyed the review, haven't watched a lot of Discovery so far, keep meaning to get into it, but can't seem to find the time or energy. One question what's going on with the January schedule?
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Huh that was faster than I thought