Star Trek (TAS): The Counter-Clock Incident

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Lizuka
Officer

Re: Star Trek (TAS): The Counter-Clock Incident

Post by Lizuka »

CrypticMirror wrote:like that TNG episode with Worf's brother and the holodeck rescue
I keep hoping Chuck gets to that some day just because I cannot watch that episode without spending the entire time thinking, "Just gas them and dump them in a field when you find a place, this simulation hoax is pointless."
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

in theory, that's what social security is for.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Fianna wrote:
CrypticMirror wrote:Also, the idea that people shouldn't have to retire is one of the things that have roundly buggered the economy. There are 80 year old boomers still holding up promotions, blocking career progression under them for decades. Just retire already.
And what if they're in good enough health to live for another ten or twenty years? That's a long time to survive with no income.
They've had a full working lifetime to build up savings, especially the ones blocking the career chain. Its left everyone below them on next to no income, and -especially for Gen-X- no working career time left when they finally do fuck off to look after their knitting and vegetable patches to build up their own savings. No sympathy, none whatsofuckingever, for that argument. Retiring promptly is part of the social contract, along with downsizing during retirement so as not to cause a housing crisis, and paying taxes in full so there is a social welfare and infrastructure spending pot that benefits everyone. Guess what else boomers have fucked up.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Edvarius wrote:
J!! wrote:Yes, but not before having their shrunken, helpless bodies forced up their mothers' vaginas, in a painful, hours-long procedure.
Shouldn't that be "daughter's vaginas" in these cases?
Which apparently Carla 5 is going to have the pleasure of experiencing soon. I wonder where her daughter is?

Why does the de-aged April look like a slightly older Kirk?
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Cheap animation. I wouldn't be surprised if they just took a bunch of old Kirk-frames and drew some extra lines on top.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

CrypticMirror wrote:Retiring promptly is part of the social contract, along with downsizing during retirement so as not to cause a housing crisis, and paying taxes in full so there is a social welfare and infrastructure spending pot that benefits everyone. Guess what else boomers have fucked up.
I have not heard of such a 'contract', nor would I support one. Smack's of Logan's Run and/or Soylent Green. Your opinion is, to me, offensive. The idea that a fully capable person must retire at a particular age is something that must be fought. Once again I say, see if your opinion doesn't change when you're 50+ (like me).
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

It isn't a horrible episode (in terms of enjoyment anyway), but it's the sort of episode that screams "Saturday morning cartoon" A silly premise that would only work in animation.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the writer, Fred Bronson (under the pseudonym John Culver), was a young man when he wrote this. I'm not an older guy myself, but sometimes you can tell when a theme is written in a glib that doesn't seriously grapple with the issue at hand. A more experienced, older writer might have had something more profound to say about aging, usefulness, life satisfaction, etc., but as is the theme doesn't give any serious food for thought.
The owls are not what they seem.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

J!! wrote:in theory, that's what social security is for.
And yet Republicans keep treating it as a piggy bank.

Gotta say, using footage from the Red Dwarf episode instead of the Star Trek TAS episode was a real power move and one of Chuck's more clever uses of the format
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

CrypticMirror wrote:This is the absolute worst episode of TAS for me. It is so bad I'm not even going to watch the review of it, sorry Chuck, because even if Chuck hated it there would still be no joy in him doing a Night in Sickbay or even a Shades of Grey on it. It is so bad I just want to pretend it never existed. There are other episodes of Trek I want to pretend never existed (like that TNG episode with Worf's brother and the holodeck rescue) but I'll watch reviews of those okay, but this? It is literally the worst Trek ever made; worse than anything else with the Trek brand on it. Worse even than the pocketbooks novels with the Mary Sue lead character. Worse even than all the Mary Sue fanfic. The absolute nadir of all things Trek.
May I ask why? I haven't seen the episode myself besides Chuck's review of it but what did it do to so piss you off?
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
J!! wrote:in theory, that's what social security is for.
And yet Republicans keep treating it as a piggy bank.

Gotta say, using footage from the Red Dwarf episode instead of the Star Trek TAS episode was a real power move and one of Chuck's more clever uses of the format
The government treats it as piggy bank because that is how it was always set up as. That is how it was supposed to work. The "Trust fund" was always the government giving itself IOUs. FDR was one of the greatest con men of the last century.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress