Babylon 5: Deathwalker

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Archanubis
Officer

Babylon 5: Deathwalker

Post by Archanubis »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/babylon5/b5s1e09.php

Surprised Chuck didn't mention the two hanging plot threads that weren't revisited in the series (unmarked spoilers ahoy):

1) Deathwalker's serum was the instrument that was going to heal Garibaldi after being shot in "Chrysalis." JMS apparently couldn't make it work to his satisfaction, which is why he introduced the life-sapping machine in "The Quality of Mercy."

2) Talia's meeting with Kosh and the "Vicar" (for VCR) actually had a purpose; copying Talia's (current) personality. Why Kosh does it is anyone's guess, but it's another "Chekov's Gun" that was sadly left behind when the Talia's actress left the show.

Also, fun trivia fact: the vicar was originally written for Gilbert Godfrey, but his schedule wouldn't allow him to play the part.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: Babylon 5: Deathwalker

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Archanubis wrote:2) Talia's meeting with Kosh and the "Vicar" (for VCR) actually had a purpose; copying Talia's (current) personality. Why Kosh does it is anyone's guess, but it's another "Chekov's Gun" that was sadly left behind when the Talia's actress left the show.
The weird thing about this is that the episode where she left had clips from this in the "Previously On," suggesting that even at that point, they were still planning to use this to bring her back eventually.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Always did like this episode.
Archanubis wrote:http://sfdebris.com/videos/babylon5/b5s1e09.php

Surprised Chuck didn't mention the two hanging plot threads that weren't revisited in the series (unmarked spoilers ahoy):

1) Deathwalker's serum was the instrument that was going to heal Garibaldi after being shot in "Chrysalis." JMS apparently couldn't make it work to his satisfaction, which is why he introduced the life-sapping machine in "The Quality of Mercy."

2) Talia's meeting with Kosh and the "Vicar" (for VCR) actually had a purpose; copying Talia's (current) personality. Why Kosh does it is anyone's guess, but it's another "Chekov's Gun" that was sadly left behind when the Talia's actress left the show.

Also, fun trivia fact: the vicar was originally written for Gilbert Godfrey, but his schedule wouldn't allow him to play the part.
Fascinating.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Wow, I never knew about that first thread or that bit of trivia there. I wonder how or why JMS couldn't make it work.

I've realised something since watching this all the way through for the third time or so. It's ironic that Kosh (and presumably all the other Vorlons) believes the younger races "are not ready for immortality" even though both the Shadows and the Vorlons have been constantly abusing their own advancements in biology and technology for god knows how long. It doesn't seem like either of them were ready for it either, those crazy weirdos became immortal demi-gods and clearly had no idea what to do next so they did some of the least sensible things instead. :\

I know a lot of B5 fans love this episode but I'm not quite as fond of it, both the Vicar and Deathwalker are quite cartoonish, over the top characters in my opinion. It's still quite entertaining as far as Season 1 stuff goes though.
Durandal_1707 wrote:
Archanubis wrote:2) Talia's meeting with Kosh and the "Vicar" (for VCR) actually had a purpose; copying Talia's (current) personality. Why Kosh does it is anyone's guess, but it's another "Chekov's Gun" that was sadly left behind when the Talia's actress left the show.
The weird thing about this is that the episode where she left had clips from this in the "Previously On," suggesting that even at that point, they were still planning to use this to bring her back eventually.
I think I have an answer for this. Lyta, the original magical telepath teammate who ended up coming back eventually, had always been intended to have a character arc involving the Vorlons. When she left all that stuff had to be moved to Talia somehow, had Talia's actress stayed on the show she would have ended up getting involved with Kosh as well through this in some way.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I enjoyed the episode, but whenever I see Jha'dur I can't help but be reminded of the captain from Treasure Planet.
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

SlackerinDeNile wrote:I think I have an answer for this. Lyta, the original magical telepath teammate who ended up coming back eventually, had always been intended to have a character arc involving the Vorlons. When she left all that stuff had to be moved to Talia somehow, had Talia's actress stayed on the show she would have ended up getting involved with Kosh as well through this in some way.
Probably but one of the things JMS repeatedly made clear was that plots for character that left weren't automatically dumped into their replacements. For instance Sinclair's original second in command from the pilot was going to be the one to shoot Garibaldi, when she left it Ivanova didn't become traitor (though JMS did play with that since he know anyone who had been following on the forums knew about the original plan).

I have heard repeatedly (though I am unsure on the original source) that the Dilgar made their own sun go nova (either to go out in a blaze of glory or as one last f you to the galaxy).
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

SlackerinDeNile wrote:

Wow, I never knew about that first thread or that bit of trivia there. I wonder how or why JMS couldn't make it work.
A lot of this came from the old Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 site; don't know if its been updated recently, though.

BTW, I erred; it's Gilbert Gottfried, not Godfrey. ^^;
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

SlackerinDeNile wrote: Wow, I never knew about that first thread or that bit of trivia there. I wonder how or why JMS couldn't make it work.
To be fair it would be hard to transpose the idea that Garibaldi is now an immortal with a hairline that's receding faster than the French at Agincourt.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

CareerKnight wrote:
I have heard repeatedly (though I am unsure on the original source) that the Dilgar made their own sun go nova (either to go out in a blaze of glory or as one last f you to the galaxy).
The Dilgar never 'made their own sun go nova', they started trying to conquer other worlds in order to find a suitable new home because their sun was going nova. In one of the Babylon 5 tabletop rpg's and some of the fan stuff they apparently succeeded even though they lost the war, there is one remaining hidden Dilgar colony.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

One thing I never really understood was if the immortality serum needed a member of that person's race, or if any person worked. Either a slaughter of their own species for immortality, or a genocidal kidnapping of other races for the necessary ingredient.