Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by SpacePaladin »

The idea that a time bomb could have solved Voyager's problems.

Ignoring Tuvok's line about how the Array would take hours to activate (which I am convinced was a last-minute addition), that thing killed a third of the crew when it was functioning and was run by someone with centuries of experience. Why would it be spontaneously less dangerous after it lost its experienced commander and took a starship to the face? That last part was what knocked out the self-destruct (and presumably multiple other systems), which is why Voyager had to blow it up, instead of letting it run down. If they used it at that point, at best their scattered molecules would have been transported to the AQ.

Not letting the writers off the hook though. They seem to forget this too.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Tuvok's one off line really needed to be emphasized. Otherwise going home using the array was never a choice to begin with, or Voyager has no timers on any of their explosives.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

i wish Chuck would refrain from singing. :) just sayin
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I don't think that Lwaxana is always bad, and I genuinely enjoy "Menage a Troi" even though it is dumb and goofy, because the writers were smart enough to realize how annoying Lwaxana was in her earlier appearances and use that as a source of comedy in-universe.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

His review of In the Mouth of Madness. The female protagonist makes a statement to the effect that reality is just what we makes it. Chuck excoriates this being patently stupid. Which it is objectively true but taken out of context of the film. Within the film, where Sutter Cane has reality warping powers, this line turns out to be foreshadowing. I think Chuck missed the boat on that particular one.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Never had a problem with parsecs. When we say someone makes a rub. In x miles we just mentally add the per hour. That or as a way of saying the run was short with no swerves, stops, etc
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I forget if I mentioned this earlier? One problem I had was in his Angel One review where he acted all insulted at a woman in real life who questioned whether he was uncomfortable working with women in a primarily female-dominated work environment. There's a few reasons for this. One is that it is a genuine, real concern, and there have been actual studies done on this on men who feel uncomfortable working around so many women. By refusing to see that, it refuses to address a very real problem in our society that needs repair, no matter how minor. The second would be... and it's been years since I saw the review... that he seemed to act all offended at the idea, and he said the woman appreciated him getting angry at her more? I can't remember, but that honestly seems... I have issues with it. There's no need to be rude just because you're acting so "pious" and "noble-hearted" as to fail to see how this is a real issue, a real problem with men, even if it's just a minority. I mean, that's painting it as "Being rude to a woman who has personally done nothing to me and rejecting genuine concerns in favor of that in the name of 'equality' will make people like you!" It's why some have accused him, I believe, of ultimately concluding that he's not sensitive, or politically correct, or sexist, or arrogant. All mistaken impressions, of course. But it rubbed me the wrong and left me, a thirty-year-old white guy, feeling extremely uncomfortable. I dunno, your guys' thoughts?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

MyUserName wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am
Season 2 on the otherhand, well not only was Sheridan much less confrontational and unwilling to call BS with Sinclair's "come at me bro" attitude, But watch the first half of the season and watch Bruce struggle to get his character down and make his acting and performance feel natural. I think the episode where he confronts Mordon was the gamechanger since it let Bruce really delve deep into what made the character tick, but everything prior to that... ewwwwww. The worst acting on the show by far.
His growth acting on the show modeled the character well.

Whereas Sinclair was a battle vet and showed his scars, Sheridan was a junior officer and hero of circumstance that still revealed that he was pretty naive and young when coming to B5 despite outranking Sinclair (which one could assume could be a result of his sudden fame and also due to his more personable nature).

It's annoying to see yes, but so is any novice when he begins his journey, and given the LOTR inspiration behind B5, I can see a bit of Frodo in him.
SlackerinDeNile wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 pm I like Sinclair a lot too and I prefer him to Sheridan as well, Sheridan always felt to me like an American (Bruce is quite the patriot in real life) actor trying to play some all-American hero, although he really started to stand out in the latter half of season 4 and season 5 in my opinion. I don't think he was the worst actor on the show though, not by a long shot. Like you said Michael O'Hare's acting usually seemed pretty natural, that was one of the things I liked about Sisko as well, Avery Brooks gave a pretty natural performance most of the time.
The thing is it completely fit the role, and you felt a profound change in him over the course of the series (although I admit the change during Season 4 as they moved into liberating Earth was too abrupt even if he had a good reason for it). You get the feeling that after Sinclair's grim, unbending nature they wanted to bring in a hotshot climbing the ranks that wouldn't rock the boat too much at B5 because he looked on it as a prestigious step towards flag rank at a younger than normal age, only for Earth to realize their choice was actually an idealist, who through luck and determination, was able to pull through.

For Sinclair and his grimness, all that was left would be for a descent into even more grimness until he became Valen. Had B5 kept to the original plan and had things end with him basically as a forgotten parish alone on a planet that would fit, but as things panned out, the show ended (At Season 4 or 5, take your pick) with too much hope for that, and I think it worked out for the best that he went off to be Valen in Season 3.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

A lot of people agree with that Beastro, personally I thought B5 had too much of a fairy-tale ending for my tastes. Having ISA HQ moved to a big beautiful castle on Minbar seemed silly to me although I understand the in-universe reasoning for it. Politically it would be wiser to keep B5 as the central power of the ISA as it has become a very inspirational location for the league of non-aligned worlds and it's in neutral territory but it's also a great big, insecure target for terrorists and enemy civilisations. Minbar is one of the most secure worlds in the galaxy so from Sheridan's military point of view it makes sense for the ISA to lead from there.

This goes against the philosophy that was being built up throughout the show imo and I get the impression that JMS originally wanted B4 to be the seat of the ISA's power until Sinclair took it back in time. However in the canon it would have made more sense just to upgrade B5 with Minbari and leftover Vorlon technology, keeping it where it was and holding onto a more neutral and less offensive location for what is effectively supposed to be the United Federation of Planets for this universe.

There's a lot I don't like about Season 5 in particular but I'll stop for now. I'm tempted to start a B5 vs DS9 comparison thread at some point (a civil one ;) .)
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

One area I disagreed in would be how he bitched about Kirayoshi's birth. He makes some valid points, however, he just seems completely pissed off for some reason that it isn't hurting Kira. I know in a later video he clarified that he wanted it to be realistic, but... how are aliens, ray guns, and spaceships more realistic than an alien race who doesn't suffer during birth? Really. It felt either like complaining for the sake of complaining, or that he was just angry that she wasn't in pain. Then again, this is where he constantly reminds people that he's "not a particularly sensitive" person. He may think it was sexist to portray it like that, but I find it arguably sexist to make such a big, practically outraged fuss over how an alien species reproduces.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords