Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

I've never had nightmares over any of his reviews. O.o I'm just a very passionate person in my views and beliefs. And it's always easy to get the wrong idea...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 am I've never had nightmares over any of his reviews. O.o I'm just a very passionate person in my views and beliefs. And it's always easy to get the wrong idea...
That was in reference to Chuck's apparent aversion to Neelix, not yours. ;)
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oops! My bad. Sorry...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:18 am I forget if I mentioned this earlier? One problem I had was in his Angel One review where he acted all insulted at a woman in real life who questioned whether he was uncomfortable working with women in a primarily female-dominated work environment. There's a few reasons for this. One is that it is a genuine, real concern, and there have been actual studies done on this on men who feel uncomfortable working around so many women. By refusing to see that, it refuses to address a very real problem in our society that needs repair, no matter how minor. The second would be... and it's been years since I saw the review... that he seemed to act all offended at the idea, and he said the woman appreciated him getting angry at her more? I can't remember, but that honestly seems... I have issues with it. There's no need to be rude just because you're acting so "pious" and "noble-hearted" as to fail to see how this is a real issue, a real problem with men, even if it's just a minority. I mean, that's painting it as "Being rude to a woman who has personally done nothing to me and rejecting genuine concerns in favor of that in the name of 'equality' will make people like you!" It's why some have accused him, I believe, of ultimately concluding that he's not sensitive, or politically correct, or sexist, or arrogant. All mistaken impressions, of course. But it rubbed me the wrong and left me, a thirty-year-old white guy, feeling extremely uncomfortable. I dunno, your guys' thoughts?
Regardless of studies, the question was rude and rather pointless. “Are you sexist/racist/etc.?”, which is basically what that question is, doesn’t belong in an interview. If the answer were yes, how many people would actually admit it anyway?

I don’t think he got angry with her, but rather, put down the question itself. That’s not against her. She was probably asking what she was told to ask. If not, there’s nothing wrong with reevaluating your interview questions.

If I’m wrong, and she can get a real answer from the question, well, then she got her answer.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's a real issue facing some men, sadly. They work in a primarily female-dominated work environment, which I find to be a sad thing to get upset over. It's what women had to endure in the 1950s as they were entering the primarily male-dominated workforce. Some jobs are just random that way, and it was harder for women decades ago. I'm just glad they've gotten ahead. If I worked with numerous women, I'd think of it was kind of flattering, but if it was mostly men, that would be fine too, tbh. I'd just like to get to know either side.

From my understanding, it was a woman employee like himself, not a boss, and in conversation, so he got all choked up, out of disbelief, which she took for confirmation, which I'll be honest, I'd have thought the same if I were her. It completely ignores the real-life problem of men who do feel this way. And even if so, there's no need to be rude. She "appreciated" that more? It's like sending a family-unfriendly aesop that being rude to your female coworker is okay. That just didn't sit well with me.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I absolutely disagree with his views on Tuvix. He has life solely because he STOLE it from Neelix and Tuvok. Not deliberately, sure, but we now have two men who are dead just so an accident can live. Wasn't the whole argument behind ''Dear Doctor'' and the Prime Directive being that letting others die when you can save them is wrong? Well here we go: a situation where we have the cure for Neelix and Tuvok and are going to kill them just so someone who should not actually be alive can live. I'm going to put this out there right now: i would absolutely do what Janeway did. Not only as an individualist (which is why I also agree with Riker and Pulaski killing their clones BTW), but also as someone who is tasked with protecting my crew. And Tuvix was not her crew.

I also read a very interesting argument on Ex Astris Scientia regarding this subject: would everyone be so keen to defend Tuvix and accuse Janeway of murder if instead of possessing all of the positive aspects of Tuvok and Neelix, he possessed all of their worst? What if like the Evil Kirk who went off and nearly raped Yeoman Rand, he had tried to rape Torres or Kes? I am willing to bet that Chuck wouldn't have given it a second thought in this scenario as Tuvix would now truly be the villain, and yet, nothing has really changed has it? We are still talking about the exact same action, only now, we are killing an asshole instead of a charmer. And speaking of Good and Evil Kirk, isn't THAT the exact same thing as this? Once they were split off from the actual Kirk, they were now two completely distinct people. So why is no one arguing that they were murdered?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 pmI also read a very interesting argument on Ex Astris Scientia regarding this subject: would everyone be so keen to defend Tuvix and accuse Janeway of murder if instead of possessing all of the positive aspects of Tuvok and Neelix, he possessed all of their worst?
One need not even go in that direction. I had a though watching Chuck's review. What if the merger was the result of Tuvak and Neelix being infected with a weird organism that causes there nervous systems to combine when they have skin to skin contact. This is mostly so you can image Tuvak and Neelix giving each other piggyback rides for the episode, but the point being all that would be required to suppress (even destroy) Tuvix would be tackling the two and make them stop touching. Would anyone really have much objection to that?

The one difference might be that in one case you can clearly see that Tuvak and Neelix are still around but suppressed whereas in the episode it seems like they are gone and the transporter process could just reconstitutes them. The thing is one can imagine the continuum between Tuvix being two obviously separate beings loosely connected, to more and more merged forms until we get something like in the episode. I am dubious you can draw the line where Tuvak and Neelix disappears and so I agree Janeway's decision is justified on those sorts of ground (She is not killing Tuvix in some dark ritual to recreate Tuvak and Neelix, but rather T&N are there inside Tuvix and the only way to let them express is suppressing Tuvix).

I think Janeway's decision is supposed to be tricky decision with pros and cons and in a moral gray area and I don't have trouble reading it that way, but if you try and give a dilemma with points on both sides, some people will find one side or the other convincing with the other side just seeming wrong.

Now as usual there is actually a technobabble solution, just copy Tuvix with the transporter (like what happened to Riker) and split one of the copies back into Tuvak and Neelix, so we get all three, for the price of none. Most Star Trek plots would be resolved too quickly or without enough drama if the transporter was not disabled or if the crew remembered what it had done in previous and used that capability. So I think we can ignore this.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'd argue that Neelix and Tuvok died in a transporter accident, the victims of an unfortunate accident which also happened to result in the creation of a new life. Tuvix was alive and had every right to remain so.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:11 pm I'd argue that Neelix and Tuvok died in a transporter accident, the victims of an unfortunate accident which also happened to result in the creation of a new life. Tuvix was alive and had every right to remain so.
I respect that. I'm certainly not going to start an argument over a 25(?) year old TV show. But what you bring up really is the thing that bothers me the most, because I do not see how two dead people can come back to life again even with Star Trek magic science. It is my opinion that Tuvix had Neelix and Tuvok inside his head all along; alive but unable to communicate. Thus it is my belief that allowing the mistake to live would have been condemning two of her crewmembers to death and Janeway (Real Janeway, not Parody Janeway) had a moral duty to do what she did. And as she ended up getting promoted, the Federation Council never brought any murder charges against her and thus logically she DID have the authority to do what she did. Riker and Pulaski when they shot their clones too for that matter.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Janeway getting promoted is probably more a matter of what she had on the other Admirals. They tend to be evil anyway so maybe they think she passes.