Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mercury01
Redshirt

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Mercury01 »

I'd disagree with Chuck on the scene from In The Pale Moonlight, when Sisko gets angry at Grathon Tolar and threatens him with torture. Tolar had already demonstrated how reckless he could be by stabbing Quark when he should have been keeping a low profile. Who's to say that the little slimeball wouldn't just half-ass his recording and skip town? After all, he's free now.

Sisko's threat was perfectly understandable. He had to make clear, in no uncertain terms, that Tolar was already walking on thin ice.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 am It's a real issue facing some men, sadly. They work in a primarily female-dominated work environment, which I find to be a sad thing to get upset over. It's what women had to endure in the 1950s as they were entering the primarily male-dominated workforce. Some jobs are just random that way, and it was harder for women decades ago. I'm just glad they've gotten ahead. If I worked with numerous women, I'd think of it was kind of flattering, but if it was mostly men, that would be fine too, tbh. I'd just like to get to know either side.

From my understanding, it was a woman employee like himself, not a boss, and in conversation, so he got all choked up, out of disbelief, which she took for confirmation, which I'll be honest, I'd have thought the same if I were her. It completely ignores the real-life problem of men who do feel this way. And even if so, there's no need to be rude. She "appreciated" that more? It's like sending a family-unfriendly aesop that being rude to your female coworker is okay. That just didn't sit well with me.
He was interviewing for a job, so they were not on the same level.

Even if that were not the case, I still think asking someone a question like that is rude. Statistics are not a reason to ignore that you are dealing with an individual person.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

I like Keevan, the Vorta who betrayed his men. He didn’t, as far as he knew, have a way to save them. It was basically having them die in a fixed battle...or they die in agony while killing everyone, including each other. Sisko didn’t offer the “put them in stasis” idea to him, assuming that idea would have even worked.

I agree the way he walks among their bodies, he doesn’t show a care. It’s not much different than when he was mortally wounded and needed a doctor. Magnificent Ferengi confirms that that’s basically just his personality, even as he was dying.

I like him because he does not want to die. All the programming built into him, and he defies it. I also just find him entertaining to watch.
Tonesthegeek
Redshirt

Post by Tonesthegeek »

I am a huge fan of Chuck's but I do feel he's a bit harsh on Voyager and especially Janeway. Granted she's not the best captain in history but then neither was Kirk (I'm so going to catch flak for that). She had some good moments and she can be absolutely badass at times on par with Picard and Sisco. Chuck does go a little overboard with his hatred of her to the point where he takes what she says out of context or misquotes her entirely for the jokes own sake. It's funny make no mistake, but it does hurt the critical analysis part of if doing a review if all you want to do is trash talk a character. I have not seen every Voyager review yet, but so far I have not seen any real discussion of Janeway's evolution as a character, sure Chuck has occasional commented on Mulgrew's acting chops in episodes like "The Thaw", but I wonder if he could do a legitamite discussion of her character without it degenerating to nothing but potshots and that ridiculous voice.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Yeah, Chuck's Janeway voice is a bit...I mean, I know he doesn't like it, but I think of it this way: at least it's not Fran Drescher as Janeway.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

I'll admit, I don't have his sheer love for Sisko as a captain, so I'll admit I wince a bit whenever it comes to him comparing Sisko to other captains. In particular, his talk in The Siege of AR-558 about how Picard and Sisko handled having their lives messed up by the Borg differently/How Sisko handled it better. While losing your wife is certainly a horrible tragedy, I really think it undersells just how justifiably traumatic being assimilated and used to kill your friends is. Or his love of how Sisko punched Q in the face, which always struck me as an incredibly, incredibly stupid action saved by the fact his name is in the title so he can't die like that.

I don't dislike Sisko but I do personally think his running joke of 'Sisko is the most badass guy ever, even the Borg wouldn't invade unless they knew he was elsewhere' is a bit tiring.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Tonesthegeek wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:04 pm I have not seen every Voyager review yet, but so far I have not seen any real discussion of Janeway's evolution as a character, sure Chuck has occasional commented on Mulgrew's acting chops in episodes like "The Thaw", but I wonder if he could do a legitamite discussion of her character without it degenerating to nothing but potshots and that ridiculous voice.
Chuck does take a few honest stabs at Janeway as a character, particularly the later reviews. "Endgame" and "Friendship One" cover pretty starkly how he views her honest, on-screen character arc, "Equinox", "Year of Hell", and "Dark Frontier" do legitimately tackle Janeway's character flaws as presented on screen, and how the show might have avoided them, or how they intended them to be seen and failed to do. "Counterpoint" is a Janeway episode where Chuck highlights her strengths, and he does make remarks in "Nothing Human", though that isn't a Janeway episode so I guess it half counts.

The problem of course; it's Voyager, long term character growth is not a priority, so to belabor his points (even among those six main reviews I mentioned, he repeats himself) would make every. single. week. pretty tedious. I think that's his reasoning to fall back on parody Janeway. Or as I call her these days; Canonical Janeway.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Stupid Neelix Moment: Neelix poisoned the bio-gel packs with cheese.

NO. It's a stupid Federation moment. Star Fleet High Command deliberately decided to build a fleet of ships that can be destroyed with cheese.

Charge the Cheddar Canon!
Load the Limburg Launcher!
Bring the Brie Bombs!

Maybe Fed thought it was safe.
Maybe Fed thought Vulcans are vegetarian, they have no cheese; Klingons are too barbaric to invent cheese; Cardassi are lizards they have no cheese. Romulans are too civilized to waste good cheese.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Belanna can't detect shit with a tricorder.

Yet another stupid Federation moment. Federation Council deliberately decided to design tricorders that cannot detect shit.

It might make sense if engineers have tricorders designed to detect engineering stuff, whereas only agronomists, hunters etc need the different kinds of tricorders that can shit. But Star Trek tricorders are all the same issue.

Picard made a big speech to the frozen banker that Fed has "evolved" beyond money.
Riker made a big speech to the fish ambassador assassins that Fed has "evolved" beyond eating meat. Maybe Fed has "evolved" beyond shitting.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Artabax wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 amPicard made a big speech to the frozen banker that Fed has "evolved" beyond money.
Riker made a big speech to the fish ambassador assassins that Fed has "evolved" beyond eating meat. Maybe Fed has "evolved" beyond shitting.
Have you ever seen a single toilet on any Federation ship, either in the show or on official interior drawings? Think about it ;)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox