Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Re: Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

Post by Fianna »

SFDebris wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:49 am Factor in the other, stupid, thing that has emerged from it, and I wish to Christ I had put it off for even longer.
What's the other, stupid thing?
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Ah, this is the updated version of the compilation movies.

In the original series, EVERYONE broke down crying like little babies at Ryu's death, and they cried so hard that it ruined all of the dramatic impact.

It was a great change to put in Amuro getting into a fist fight with Bright Noah.

I... rather get the "Don't really give a F*** anymore" response. We need to give Chuck better anime to review.

Maybe some Cowboy Bebop, or some Trigun, or... or...

Wow. Chuck deserves a medal for raising his kids.

Oh right! Good anime. Outlaw Star, Fullmetal Alchemist, or maybe something a little more grounded and not as crazy, with less scifi and more... well, trek or something.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Knights of Sidonia? :P
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

Really sorry for the frustrations Chuck. Do hope this doesn't turn you off to reviewing other Gundam stuff in the future. Hopefully rest of it will be properly dubbed.

And I personally am very sorry for bringing up the Char pronunciation thing.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I'm annoyed to learn that the Dubs of the movies apparently aren't on any DVD or Blu Ray releases. I'm not gonna pay money for them if they don't include the Dubs. And I've heard the Tirlogy's Dub is the only Dub that properly gives Bright a British Accent.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

SFDebris wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:49 am The point is that trying to get the names if you don't speak Japanese is frustrating because the words they tell you in the subtitles are inconsistently pronounced throughout the films. The "sir" example is just meant as an obvious demonstration of that because it's a simple sound: if sometimes the word is said one way, and sometimes another, consistently figuring out the right one is frustrating.

The purpose was to try to express my extreme frustration with this series because of this; I try (or rather, tried, past tense) to always get foreign names pronounced correctly, and with this series, it has been so irritating and inconsistent that by now, I DON'T CARE. Even if you tell me, I won't correct it, because I'm far, far too annoyed at trying to sift through this flotsam and try to make sense of it. It has frustrated me so that I honestly, truly, no longer give a shit. Factor in the other, stupid, thing that has emerged from it, and I wish to Christ I had put it off for even longer.
Just a thought as I am no expert on this series either. But I do know it is older than most. Could these be really bad translations in the subtitles due to the age? From what little I know, more current works tend to be more accurate.
K.E. Schwartze
Redshirt

Post by K.E. Schwartze »

It's an old show, that was teetering on cancellation most of its run, and has a large number of "futuristic" fake names. And Japanese uses Italian vowels, AND half the cast didn't get the memo that it's Mirai (future) not Mira (which WOULD work as a name). Oh, yeah and sometimes the subs probably mention a name that no one actually said (they may have been "zero-pronouned" or referred to by title).

From this stuff, Chuck is trying to figure out who is who so he can discuss things about plot and character, I could see it getting rough (big cast too). I think the "hai" bit is him having a joke about how hard it is to know what people are really saying if you don't know the language (and Japanese is WAY up there for this sort of thing).

Oh yeah, the other issue is that a fair number of shows have an "official" version of "foreign" words they may have made up or repurposed, and their choices can be.. Interesting
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Nevix wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:54 amI... rather get the "Don't really give a F*** anymore" response. We need to give Chuck better anime to review.

Maybe some Cowboy Bebop, or some Trigun, or... or...

Wow. Chuck deserves a medal for raising his kids.

Oh right! Good anime. Outlaw Star, Fullmetal Alchemist, or maybe something a little more grounded and not as crazy, with less scifi and more... well, trek or something.
Tenchi Muyo's got a relatively decent dub performance for its day.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

SFDebris wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:49 am The purpose was to try to express my extreme frustration with this series because of this; I try (or rather, tried, past tense) to always get foreign names pronounced correctly, and with this series, it has been so irritating and inconsistent that by now, I DON'T CARE. Even if you tell me, I won't correct it, because I'm far, far too annoyed at trying to sift through this flotsam and try to make sense of it. It has frustrated me so that I honestly, truly, no longer give a shit.

youtu.be/fcQzheaGE-w

Honestly, it's laudable you tried to get the pronunciations right and all, but I hope you aren't letting the weebs get to you too much. Like you've said more than once, the idea of you even looking at the stuff is to get that outsider's perspective, and people giving you crap over how you pronounce Japanese words and names need to realize that's all part of it. Hell, have some fun with it and mispronounce some of them on purpose, like Brad Pitt trying to speak Italian in Inglorious Basterds. :lol:
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Ah, people just grab the Gundam for a ride whenever they feel like it. I notice that's always a thing in Gundam; they always leave it where anyone can just grab it. It's almost as bad as those shuttlecraft in Star Trek!

And yea, I rarely remember people's names in anime either. It's often just "main character", "old guy", "girl with green hair", douchebag, awesome dude.