Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

I still don't buy Hitler had any good in him or Dukat for that matter.

but I did bring up new topics of discussion.

and as I said on the thread for "The Wolf Inside" what happened to Mirror Sato? shouldn't her family still be in control of the Empire with the Defiant as their personal flagship?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Two possibilities:
1) Georgiou is a direct descendent of Hoshi.
2) Hoshi or one of her descendents was bounced from power in typical Terran fashion.

And obviously, the Terrans built a bigger better ship to replace the Defiant.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:36 pm Two possibilities:
2) Hoshi or one of her descendents was bounced from power in typical Terran fashion.

I apologise for the crudity of my language, but she is essentially nothing more than a whore with a powerful ship. What political, military, tactical or command experience does this woman have? There is nothing special about her beyond her language and bedroom skills. Lets say for example that she did take over the Empire; is it really likely that with her skill set that it would have continued to flourish well into the 23rd century?

My opinion is that she was an incompetent ruler and an incompetent captain who probably wasted every advantage she had and was then knocked off. And let us remember how inefficient Star Trek technology is - the Defiant probably broke down pretty quickly without any of its trained engineers to hand to maintain it. Which is probably why the Mirror 23rd century doesn't seem to have improved upon the design despite having access to the specs for a hundred years.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 pm one last thing on the whale thing, I should have said that whalers seek out whales, it isn't the wales' fault they keep getting killed, it doesn't matter if they know to avoid ships.

and I'm not sure Dr. Crusher was being reasonable in "Ethics" she was causing harm to Worf by not letting him kill himself, since, in his belief system, he's go to Klingon Hell if he didn't.

and there really is no evidence that there is more then one Borg Queen. obviously, there is more then one body but it's always the same mind. the change in actresses for the Queen meant nothing in-universe, we, the audience, were just supposed to pretend such a change did not happen like with James Bond. the Queen from "Unimatrix Zero" is the same one from "Endgame" she just didn't blow up her own ships because there was nothing for her to gain from doing that in the latter case.

and a different disagreement with the companion video to the TNG episode "First Contact". Chuck brings up the famous quote from Carl Sagan but sometimes, I do think the scientific community is prejudice against the paranormal because most people don't realize that the paranormal is just parts of science we don't understand yet and not something separate from science. so, extraordinary claims do not require extraordinary evidence because saying you saw a UFO may seem like an extraordinary claim but it in fact, is not.

and on his review of "A Better World" from Justice League where he gave his thoughts on the "should superheroes kill" debate. I really can't take stories that say "no" to it seriously because they always rely on the slippery slope, witch is a logical fallacy.

and I don't really know if the Mirror Universe Trek characters are Stupid Evil. they always seem to accomplish their goals, even the crew of ISS Enterprise NX-01.
And I maintain that whales are dumb.

No one's culture is above the law. No one's. If Federation law does not permit a doctor to allow a patient to die (which is true in many places in real life) then she has a duty by law to prevent him.

I do not recall Chuck ever saying that the multiple Borg Queen idea is anything other than his personal headcanon. And it is headcanon that works given the bullshit mess that is the Voyager-era Borg.

If it is real then it is science. If there is no evidence whatsoever for it being real then it isn't. That is why God, alien visitations, ghosts, and all other ooglie-booglies you can name are not scientific theories. What the scientific community is prejudiced against is any hypothesis that is unfalsifiable.

No. The Mirror Universe is stupid evil. No real life civilization could function if everyone was as backstabbing, conniving and cruel to each other as this one is.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:39 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 pm one last thing on the whale thing, I should have said that whalers seek out whales, it isn't the wales' fault they keep getting killed, it doesn't matter if they know to avoid ships.

and I'm not sure Dr. Crusher was being reasonable in "Ethics" she was causing harm to Worf by not letting him kill himself, since, in his belief system, he's go to Klingon Hell if he didn't.

and there really is no evidence that there is more then one Borg Queen. obviously, there is more then one body but it's always the same mind. the change in actresses for the Queen meant nothing in-universe, we, the audience, were just supposed to pretend such a change did not happen like with James Bond. the Queen from "Unimatrix Zero" is the same one from "Endgame" she just didn't blow up her own ships because there was nothing for her to gain from doing that in the latter case.

and a different disagreement with the companion video to the TNG episode "First Contact". Chuck brings up the famous quote from Carl Sagan but sometimes, I do think the scientific community is prejudice against the paranormal because most people don't realize that the paranormal is just parts of science we don't understand yet and not something separate from science. so, extraordinary claims do not require extraordinary evidence because saying you saw a UFO may seem like an extraordinary claim but it in fact, is not.

and on his review of "A Better World" from Justice League where he gave his thoughts on the "should superheroes kill" debate. I really can't take stories that say "no" to it seriously because they always rely on the slippery slope, witch is a logical fallacy.

and I don't really know if the Mirror Universe Trek characters are Stupid Evil. they always seem to accomplish their goals, even the crew of ISS Enterprise NX-01.

No one's culture is above the law. No one's. If Federation law does not permit a doctor to allow a patient to die (which is true in many places in real life) then she has a duty by law to prevent him.

I do not recall Chuck ever saying that the multiple Borg Queen idea is anything other than his personal headcanon. And it is headcanon that works given the bullshit mess that is the Voyager-era Borg.

If it is real then it is science. If there is no evidence whatsoever for it being real then it isn't. That is why God, alien visitations, ghosts, and all other ooglie-booglies you can name are not scientific theories. What the scientific community is prejudiced against is any hypothesis that is unfalsifiable.

No. The Mirror Universe is stupid evil. No real life civilization could function if everyone was as backstabbing, conniving and cruel to each other as this one is.
again, it doesn't matter or not if whales are smart or not if whalers chase them wherever they go.

the thing is that skeptics of unknown phenomenon always come up with the same supposedly rational explanation for everything witch leads me to think they are at least at some level, lazy and go with the easy answer instead of actually looking at it further. and stuff like UFOs and ghosts do at the very least have circumstantial evidence witch is a start. but it's always left to the "pseudoscientists" to study things further and not the mainstream.

and again, the Mirror NX-01 accomplished their goals. if they were as stupid and incompetent as Chuck says, the Tholians would have killed them all and kept the Defiant.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:11 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:39 pm

again, it doesn't matter or not if whales are smart or not if whalers chase them wherever they go.

the thing is that skeptics of unknown phenomenon always come up with the same supposedly rational explanation for everything witch leads me to think they are at least at some level, lazy and go with the easy answer instead of actually looking at it further. and stuff like UFOs and ghosts do at the very least have circumstantial evidence witch is a start. but it's always left to the "pseudoscientists" to study things further and not the mainstream.

and again, the Mirror NX-01 accomplished their goals. if they were as stupid and incompetent as Chuck says, the Tholians would have killed them all and kept the Defiant.
Real scientists do not need to look into bullshit. Just because it is the ''easy answer'' does not mean that it is the wrong answer. In fact the easy answer is often the easy answer because the answer is just that obvious. It is left to pseudoscientists (read: amateurs with blogs) because all of the real scientists are off doing actual work.

The Mirror NX-01 crew died with nearly all hands and the survivors turned on each other leaving only a handful alive. That is not a success.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:43 pm
Real scientists do not need to look into bullshit. Just because it is the ''easy answer'' does not mean that it is the wrong answer. In fact the easy answer is often the easy answer because the answer is just that obvious. It is left to pseudoscientists (read: amateurs with blogs) because all of the real scientists are off doing actual work.

The Mirror NX-01 crew died with nearly all hands and the survivors turned on each other leaving only a handful alive. That is not a success.
some things can be proven or debunked like the story of Bob Lazar and Area 51 is BS and even some ufologists know this. and there is physical evidence for these things too. we're not going to have an answer either way as long was we look at known science and the unknown as two different things.

and the Mirror NX-01 crew still managed to get the Defiant away from the Tholians, at least temporarily defeat the Rebels and overthrow the Emperor. and why is Mirror Chekov the only dumb member of the crew of the next ISS Enterprise? they seemed to function alright despite superior officers being assassinated every other day.

and I still disagree with any story that says killing is always wrong when it relies on the slippery slope fallacy like the Justice League episode I mentioned before. and Chuck even seems to believe in the slippery slope fallacy when he talked about the cremation places from Torchwood Miracle Day.
LordGigaIce
Redshirt

Post by LordGigaIce »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:10 pm
TGLS wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:36 pm Two possibilities:

I apologise for the crudity of my language, but she is essentially nothing more than a whore with a powerful ship. What political, military, tactical or command experience does this woman have? There is nothing special about her beyond her language and bedroom skills. Lets say for example that she did take over the Empire; is it really likely that with her skill set that it would have continued to flourish well into the 23rd century?

My opinion is that she was an incompetent ruler and an incompetent captain who probably wasted every advantage she had and was then knocked off. And let us remember how inefficient Star Trek technology is - the Defiant probably broke down pretty quickly without any of its trained engineers to hand to maintain it. Which is probably why the Mirror 23rd century doesn't seem to have improved upon the design despite having access to the specs for a hundred years.
I hate to be blunt, but you're wrong. And that's not my opinion. The Discovery writers have confirmed that, while Georgiou isn't a biological descendent of Hoshi, she is very much part of Hoshi's "line" of rulers.

Mirror Georgiou's full title as Emperor of the Terran Empire was Her most Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Qo'noS, Regina Andor, Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius.

Very Roman, really. Which fits, seeing as the Terran Empire always had a bit of a Roman theme to it. The part of that title list that concerns us, however, is the "Iaponius" part. It is, essentially, Latin for "Japanese."
Jordon Nardino, the writer who canonized that list of titles, went to Twitter to explain it all. Here's what he had to say about "Iaponius."
Iaponius is Latin for Japanese. This (in my fever dream) is a title Hoshi Sato adopted when she named herself Empress, to honor her homeland. So is Georgiou descended from Hoshi!?

Well... Hoshi was Empress. 100 years later, Georgiou is Emperor. Georgiou took one of Hoshi's titles as her own to connect them. So Hoshi's legacy as Empress must be good and Georgiou must either be connected to her in a chain of succession or might want to create that connection... But they have different ethnic backgrounds. Hoshi is Japanese, Philipa is Chinese-Malaysian. So I don't think it's likely Philipa is a direct descendant like a great-grandchild. Cousins is possible. More likely tho......whoever inherited Hoshi's throne was someone she adopted as a child & heir, the way most Roman emperors did. And that Emperor adopted his/her heir, and so on, until we get to Georgiou. And she is proud of the connection and flaunts it with the title Iaponius.
https://twitter.com/jnardino/status/955642131086917632

He admits that this isn't "canon" until it appears onscreen, but given that he's the writer of the show that worldbuilt it? And we have nothing in the established canon that contradicts the above? I think we can say that it's pretty damn close to being canonical.

One more thing to address...
...essentially nothing more than a whore with a powerful ship...
Yeah. Hoshi was nothing more than a whore with a powerful ship. Just like William the Conqueror was just a bastard with a powerful army. That didn't stop William from establishing a line of English monarchs whose lineage can be traced to the current reigning monarch of the UK.

Sometimes the whores and bastards of history bend it to their will.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Also keep in mind that that Empress Hoshi has a 100 years of advances stored on her ship in the databanks. One nice thing about Federation ships, they keep historical data on almost everything. So she was probably able to give the Terran Empire a huge leg up in R&D. Presuming she's able to get Mirror Trip or Mirror Phlox or some other loyal officer with some brains on her side, she could be seen as the great reformer who brought a golden age of new medicines and technologies to the Empire.

That would buy a lot of loyal followers for her reign.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

and I sometimes forget this but I think the problem I perceive with skeptics is more with the layman and not actual mainstream scientists. scientists may be perfectly willing to explore the paranormal but the general public will dismiss him/her as a quack because for a lot of them, skepticism has become as much a matter of faith as any religion or belief in ghosts.