SF Debris's thoughts on Sisko's real mother?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: SF Debris's thoughts on Sisko's real mother?

Post by Yukaphile »

Then that fits perfectly in line with what Roddenberry wanted. Themes of sexual coercion, and how people just shrug off truly devastating things, like death. And now we can see how we transitioned from the glory of TNG/DS9 to... Voyager... and Enterprise... where yeah, it definitely fit what Roddenberry had in his mind with regards to Trek.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 pm My big problem with how this was presented is how calmly Joseph took it. Finding out your life's great love was a lie, you were used as a pawn to rape a woman, and you yourself were a victim of rape by deception should be about the most devastating thing a person could experience outside the death of their child, but he just shrugs it off.
While it’s probably an issue of the writers dismissing the true horror of what they wrote, it could also be Joseph keeping strong in front of Ben and Jake. It would be like him to deny the emotional pain here, particularly in front of his family.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Meushell wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:39 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 pm My big problem with how this was presented is how calmly Joseph took it. Finding out your life's great love was a lie, you were used as a pawn to rape a woman, and you yourself were a victim of rape by deception should be about the most devastating thing a person could experience outside the death of their child, but he just shrugs it off.
While it’s probably an issue of the writers dismissing the true horror of what they wrote, it could also be Joseph keeping strong in front of Ben and Jake. It would be like him to deny the emotional pain here, particularly in front of his family.
Honestly most likely The Writers NEVER considered it that way

I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode the Principle and the Pauper on the commentary, The show writers seem rather baffled by the strong negative outcry the episode garnered cause to them they were adding a new dimension to a character but to the fans they basically threw out everything about the character for cheap drama

I think the issue with the DS9 Prophets is the writers were struggling to tie the Dominion and Emissary arcs together so in the same way GL's need to get rid of plot threads led to alot of questionable choices. They came to the conclusion to simply write the Prophets like Classic Mythic gods including divine birth... which defeated the whole point of the Prophets... which like A Q civil war destroyed the whole mystic nature of the Q

also this in turn contradicts the Prophets whole not understanding humanity if one of them had lived among them for years
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I haven't seen all of Deep Space 9, but I have recently watched the episode where a Pah Wraith takes control of Keiko, and has O'Brien reconfigure the station into a chronoton emitter that, if aimed at the wormhole, would instantly kill the Prophets (and, we see in the episode's climax, can also kill the Pah Wraiths).

Does this technology ever come up again? Like, say, when the Prophets interfere with the Dominion's invasion plans? Or when the Pah Wraiths were in danger of breaking loose in the finale?
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Thats one of the problems with the Pah Wraiths... They are suppose to be the Prophets opposite and Equal in power

but you had two or three episodes where the crew pretty much tech themselves an answer that could easily kill the Wraiths 'Said device, and a Gas come to mind'

Pah Wraiths being the Demonic unstoppable horror was essential de-balled to the point DS9 pretty much acts like those episodes didn't happen

Thats kinda the one thing about Trek... The Supernatural beyond them stuff tends to end up getting neutered... The Q again spring to mind
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Fianna wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:04 am I haven't seen all of Deep Space 9, but I have recently watched the episode where a Pah Wraith takes control of Keiko, and has O'Brien reconfigure the station into a chronoton emitter that, if aimed at the wormhole, would instantly kill the Prophets (and, we see in the episode's climax, can also kill the Pah Wraiths).

Does this technology ever come up again? Like, say, when the Prophets interfere with the Dominion's invasion plans? Or when the Pah Wraiths were in danger of breaking loose in the finale?
Season 6 episode "The Reckoning" touched up on this. Where they used chronitons to wound, not kill, a Prophet and a Pah-wraith in order to get them to leave the station to save Kira and Jake's life.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

^ And what a terrible episode that was. You know something's seriously wrong when I find myself rooting for Kai Winn.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm ^ And what a terrible episode that was. You know something's seriously wrong when I find myself rooting for Kai Winn.
That's the thing I love about Kai Winn. Even when she's ostensibly doing the right thing, as she arguably does here, it's for her own gain and not because it's the right thing to do. That's just a bonus for her that she can also use for her own gain.

The best part, in retrospect, is how this comes back to destroy her in the end. If she'd let it play out, things would have been very different.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

The fact is that Sarah was a red shirt to the writers. She was something to be disposed of to suit the story they were telling. They probably didn't consider or care about the long term implications because the character was merely a way to get from point A (Sisko believing he's 100% human) to point B (Sisko was born special).

To some degree, it's disservice to the character. Sisko's about as human as any Trek character. He gets mad. He's willing to get his hands dirty for the greater good. He'll punch Q in the face. Being "half god" kind of diminishes that.
Marko Kujundžić
Redshirt

Post by Marko Kujundžić »

Did anyone notice that that makes him the only alien captain main cast member in ST?