Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Post by RobbyB1982 »

ninjadeadbeard wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 am I am very excited to see Chuck cover this.
Don't get your hopes too high, The way he phrased the bit at the end makes it sound like he doesn't have any more lined up. "I'd be happy to do more" rather than "more is coming next month" or "more next year" is pretty similar to him doing the first two robotech episodes and then saying he has no more commissioned.

And then given that he closed the commission list ages ago (no idea how long the backlog still is) it might be a loooooong time before he gets to FMA again, if ever.

(Also what circumstances led to someone just requesting episode 3 of one series....)

On the other hand, we generally actually have no idea what the list entails, so he could have the entire series commissioned. Just didn't sound like it.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

FMA is one my favorite anime franchises. Everything about it is just good. In terms of 2003 vs Brotherhood. I'll admit I kinda have a soft spot for the 2003 series. I got into FMA before brotherhood was a thing so it was my only option.I know the later half of that series is pretty inadequate but there's a lot to like.(Not to say Brotherhood isn't good. Brotherhood is great.)

I would love it if Chuck reviewed more of either series but understand the queue is well the queue. Maybe someday.
Nikas Zekeval
Redshirt

Post by Nikas Zekeval »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 am Honestly I think it was just cause Nina called Edward Big Brother in general that was what clicked the horrifying realization, but the aspect that everyone assumed Ed to be the little brother being a major clue was an aspect that never really occurred to me before that is rather neat to consider.
The 2003 series went deeper into the Tuckers. For starters the Elrics stayed with them while studying for the State Alchemy Exam. Looking at it in retrospect Mustang might have called in a favor since one of the thing the Elrics overhear is that not only is Shou up for a renewal of his State Alchemist position? The work he submitted for the last review was considered subpar. Another poor showing would get his position yanked, which included the house he and Nina were in. That was a state owned building.

Going by the weather outside it seems the Elrics were there for several weeks if not a few months. So far more time to get to know the pair, and Nina to become a surrogate little sister. Finally Shou's review came up soon or right after Ed becoming a State Alchemist. So not only did he have a closer connection to Nina, but his riding of the high of passing crashed hard. And Shou's words that "you would do the same thing" is far more devastating. He had to ask himself, "How far would I go to fix Al?"
Azaz129
Redshirt

Post by Azaz129 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 am
ninjadeadbeard wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 am I am very excited to see Chuck cover this.
Don't get your hopes too high, The way he phrased the bit at the end makes it sound like he doesn't have any more lined up. "I'd be happy to do more" rather than "more is coming next month" or "more next year" is pretty similar to him doing the first two robotech episodes and then saying he has no more commissioned.

And then given that he closed the commission list ages ago (no idea how long the backlog still is) it might be a loooooong time before he gets to FMA again, if ever.

(Also what circumstances led to someone just requesting episode 3 of one series....)

On the other hand, we generally actually have no idea what the list entails, so he could have the entire series commissioned. Just didn't sound like it.
Considering the review is listed under "Misc. Series" in the Anime section, I don't think you'll be seeing a another review this decade (even Code Geass has had its own subheading for the past few months despite there still not being any review of it).
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

I love all of Chuck's Fuhrer jokes in this review.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

For anyone who is now interested in the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, or in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood...

They're both good. I recommend watching the earlier version (including the movie) first, and then watching Brotherhood.

Another good option is to watch the first 8 episodes of the earlier version, and then skip ahead to watch Brotherhood. 13 episodes is also an option, but only 8 episodes is necessary for this method.

It's a pacing thing. Brotherhood rushes the earliest episodes, because the stories diverge heavily after a certain point. The earlier version lets those episodes last longer, and adds different details too.

I hope there's more FMA: Brotherhood covered later.
Necromas
Redshirt

Post by Necromas »

Wargriffin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:01 pm ... I enjoyed both

but if we're really gonna make this which one over the other

Ummm

The original had Bratja which I was sincerely disappointed didn't show up ONCE during all of Brotherhood... cause if anything sums up FMA the experience as a whole its Bratja

youtu.be/uwzAEwzUI8k
I'm definitely more of a Brotherhood fan, as I was already an obsessive fan of the manga when it came out so I didn't really notice the shortcomings nearly as much as others have. But the piece Bratja/Brothers is definitely something I loved from the original anime that I really missed seeing in Brotherhood.

I definitely recommend checking out the english version of the song as well. The lyrics are written from both Ed and Al's perspective and relate to their feelings over what transpired with their mother. Also Vic Mignogna, Eds's english voice actor, sings it beautifully.

youtu.be/vrL6BMN61Do