Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

FaxModem1 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 am Mask of the Phantasm is very much noir. This scene alone elevates it this Batman story to another level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAFbEP0wK4

A man pleading to let go of his childhood burdens, and due to fate, his neuroses, or the needs of Gotham, he can't. It's beautiful and heavy stuff.
I agree that the contemporary plot is noir. Or maybe maroon. It's paced very well for the goings on.

That scene is really something unique. Not sure I'd call it noir.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:25 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 am So how does everybody feel about this movie being a definitive Batman movie?
It's certainly a good movie but I wouldn't necessarily say definitive. It's a Year One sort of deal where it's about BECOMING Batman.

But very little about Bruce BEING Batman.
I just watched Batman Year One a couple of nights ago. Gordon steals the story.

MotP has an origin story, but it's very Netflix'y with how it uses it in sequence. In a way though I almost wonder if the origin story is really what's going on here. I think Chuck says it nicely though about how this is about Andrea being simply a mask of her becoming ego.
Power laces... alright.
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 am So how does everybody feel about this movie being a definitive Batman movie?
Yeah it is a definitive batman but then it is the batman from the old animated universe which pretty much produced some of the most iconic versions of batman, wonder woman and superman seen in decades as well as introduced long time comic book characters to a new audience who had never heard of them.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Alinis wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:44 pm
Yeah it is a definitive batman but then it is the batman from the old animated universe which pretty much produced some of the most iconic versions of batman, wonder woman and superman seen in decades as well as introduced long time comic book characters to a new audience who had never heard of them.
Yeah but when we say definitive we're talkin with respect to all the other movies that came out. The show and its spawning universe is iconic, but I don't think the movie is some grand opus for that. It had only done one season, and this was kind of a side stepping in terms of established characters. All the dramatic elements were stuff you wouldn't expect from the show though, and it's a narrative that both fit nicely with the show's format and was unique from all the other movies.
Power laces... alright.
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

I would say at the very least its better than any of the other batman movies I've seen.

However that is likely my personal tastes speaking given besides liking the animated series I also liked the 1966 batman movie and the 66 TV series but I'd sooner watch batman and robin again than watch any of Nolan's batman films ever again.

I'd certainly say its the only modern movie that I feel has both a good batman and a good Bruce Wayne not to mention a Bruce Wayne that is actually interesting.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

That's... certainly an interesting take. I read the first line and mused to myself that the list of movies you saw was going to be comprised of Batman: The Movie, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin.

I'm familiar with people not taking to the Nolan movie, but it's not an outlook I particularly adhere to. Likewise I don't think I have any real problems with this or Burton's 89 Batman, but they don't catch my attention as much as movies. The Animated Series itself is great to me, and that extends itself to this movie, but yeah.
Power laces... alright.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:40 am
Nevix wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:57 amIn my opinion, there's a number of laws and such in Gotham that are permanent city codes that unintentionally contribute to the corruption.
Like what?
Well, that's the issue. The Batman comics never really delve into the government, policies, and laws, other than to state that criminals brought in by Batman tend to either escape jail, or go to Arkham and escape anyway.

There's got to be something beyond just "Batman isn't helping" that keeps the criminals in power, and the most likely thing is that the laws in the city either aren't being enforced properly, or the laws benefit the corrupt because the corrupt wrote/rewrote them.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nevix wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:34 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:40 am
Nevix wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:57 amIn my opinion, there's a number of laws and such in Gotham that are permanent city codes that unintentionally contribute to the corruption.
Like what?
Well, that's the issue. The Batman comics never really delve into the government, policies, and laws, other than to state that criminals brought in by Batman tend to either escape jail, or go to Arkham and escape anyway.

There's got to be something beyond just "Batman isn't helping" that keeps the criminals in power, and the most likely thing is that the laws in the city either aren't being enforced properly, or the laws benefit the corrupt because the corrupt wrote/rewrote them.
Meh. Enemies escape, therefore it's an issue of the legislative that has failed to construct a solid construct of ordinance that prevents these credants from being able to abduct themselves from the institution that renders the otherwise civil nature of Gotham.

Yep, I think I'll go with the Gotham show doing a good deed. Gotham on Fox was a somewhat normal New York landscape, albeit in a sensible comic-book premise, to which really weird shit started happening, and thus we have the infamous Rogues Gallery.
Power laces... alright.