The Orville Marathon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: The Orville Marathon

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

As much as I personally believe McFarlane is responsible for the downfall of satire and deserves to live long enough to find out what his own left kidney tastes like, the phrase "we want the clown alive" earned a few Good Place points in my book.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Andrew Joshua Talon
Redshirt

Post by Andrew Joshua Talon »

I was initially leery of The Orville, and I will agree with Chuck that the first couple of episodes were nothing really special. But "Priya" and "Krill" won me over and I'm eagerly anticipating the next season.

I too get a little tired of the anti-religious bent (and hope they ease up on that in Season 2), and things could be better, but these hiccups feel more like trying to figure out what a show is supposed to be rather than the creators just hating their audience. You can tell that MacFarlane really does love the source material but he's struggling to get it right.

It's like... Seth is a Star Trek fan, and with any fan we'll disagree on what was good or bad in any given series. But at the end of the day I recognize that he's doing this out of love for the same thing, and I can give him the benefit of the doubt to keep watching. There is potential here, and I hope the show realizes it.
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

Episode 8: Chuck, cannibals don't want people with good taste. They want people that taste good.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

I admit I was iffy on the Orville when it came out and the first three episodes really didn't impress me but it did grow on me. Its biggest issue right now is MacFarlane's confidence level. He wants the show to be this grand love letter to Star Trek and sci-fi in general but at the same time he's known for his comedy and his comedy is very goofy/immature-ish, at times off color, and can be a bit pop culture heavy.(The random Doc Brown cameo from his cowboy movie comes to mind.) I think he struggles with trying to balance that-but I feel like this will improve over time.

All in all it's just nice to see someone trying to write more lighthearted sci-fi on TV. (I would say the Expanse sort of kinda of follows under this too since at least it doesn't glorify its darker elements like some other works do nowadays but I still won't call it super lighthearted.)
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Andrew Joshua Talon wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:48 am I was initially leery of The Orville, and I will agree with Chuck that the first couple of episodes were nothing really special. But "Priya" and "Krill" won me over and I'm eagerly anticipating the next season.

I too get a little tired of the anti-religious bent (and hope they ease up on that in Season 2), and things could be better, but these hiccups feel more like trying to figure out what a show is supposed to be rather than the creators just hating their audience. You can tell that MacFarlane really does love the source material but he's struggling to get it right.

It's like... Seth is a Star Trek fan, and with any fan we'll disagree on what was good or bad in any given series. But at the end of the day I recognize that he's doing this out of love for the same thing, and I can give him the benefit of the doubt to keep watching. There is potential here, and I hope the show realizes it.
In fairness, Gene hated religion too, or at least came to as time went on. It certainly isn't out of place depending on how accurate a parody he was making.

Your last paragraph is on the nail mate. The ultimate difference between STD and Orville is love.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:40 am
Andrew Joshua Talon wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:48 am I was initially leery of The Orville, and I will agree with Chuck that the first couple of episodes were nothing really special. But "Priya" and "Krill" won me over and I'm eagerly anticipating the next season.

In fairness, Gene hated religion too, or at least came to as time went on. It certainly isn't out of place depending on how accurate a parody he was making.

Your last paragraph is on the nail mate. The ultimate difference between STD and Orville is love.
The ultimate difference between STD and Orville is love.

Care to elaborate?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Care to elaborate?
One is made by what is clearly a life long Star Trek fan, someone who like Chuck points out in ep 1 no doubt spent his days as a kid dreaming that he was Captain Kirk. And the other is a cash grab made to sell CBS All Access and to attract a new audience outside of it core fans regardless of whether they alienated their core fans or not. (And here you'll bring on the same bullshit you brought up last time we discussed this about there being no proof despite the Jason Issacs quote above, several other quotes from the crew, the thousands of hate videos on Youtube, the tens of thousands of forum posts, the crappy STD toy sales, the crappy DVD sales and lackluster reviews from viewers - nope, no proof at all that the majority of Trekkies hate STD.)

I genuinely pity you if you think that the creators of STD are fans that made the series out of love for the property. I really, really do.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 am I checked, and yes, Jason Isaacs really said the "diehard" fans would watch it anyway, and really dared them not to. Only Mr. Isaacs knows if he's come to regret it since.
Well there is clearly room for interpretation he seems to me to be saying in that twitter thread that he dares only those people ("those few idiots") who BOTH told him to go f$%$ himself AND that they would not to watch, to actually not watch. To me that is a separate group from diehard fans...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

WILL YOU MARRY ME, CLEARSPIRA?! :P JK JK :lol:

But seriously, you put the nail on the fucking head. That's exactly what it's about. Selling their CBS All Access, and who cares if they alienate the old school fans in the process? Those who like STD don't even see it as a continuation of the Trek of old. Shit, even Enterprise was an attempt at a continuation of the Trek of old. A poor attempt. As SF Debris said, it's like a man attempting to make an umbrella out of dog turds, but an attempt is an attempt. STD, just... UGH.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:57 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Care to elaborate?

I genuinely pity you if you think that the creators of STD are fans that made the series out of love for the property. I really, really do.
I think DISCO is barely okay and honestly don't know if it's creators love Trek or not.

Kristen Beyer probably does.