Unable to watch any videos on the site.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Oren
Redshirt

Unable to watch any videos on the site.

Post by Oren »

Hey, Oren here.

So I went to check out The Expanse (Side note, when is Chuck gonna review The Expanse tv show?), and the video wouldn't play. One of those "beat Amazon" ads came up, but after that the player was just a blank screen. This has happened with the other five videos I've tried as well. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I click "skip this ad" or wait for the timer to run out.

Anyone know what's causing this or a work around?
-Oren
Eishtmo
Officer

Re: Unable to watch any videos on the site.

Post by Eishtmo »

Reload repeatedly until you get a video ad and let it play out. It works for me at least, and yes, it is VERY bothersome.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Current vids are on Dailymotion, so they can be watched there (this is in direct response to this error). Of course you can do as Eishtmo has advised and reload until you get a video advert.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

It may be my luck, but different devices seem to be better at getting the right ad. I have a much easier time on my phone than the kindle. I have no idea why that would make a difference, but it's been consistent.
SotF
Redshirt

Post by SotF »

Robovski wrote:Current vids are on Dailymotion, so they can be watched there (this is in direct response to this error). Of course you can do as Eishtmo has advised and reload until you get a video advert.
That doesn't work with the most recent ones. They aren't up yet there it seems...
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

There is a bug with certain banner ads that is being looked at. Reloading the page and clicking on the center square of the video the moment it comes up has been known to help.

Apologies for the inconvenience. This will likely go away after the transition at the end of the month.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

SFDebris, I have a method of dealing with this, but it uses the assumption that you are getting paid for the ads even if the video does not run afterwards. What I have been doing is watching the ad all the way through, then reloading the page, turning the adblock on, starting the video, and after it starts playing, immediately turning the adblock off. That way, I see the ad once, and I see any ads that play after the video. Assuming that the ad pays even if the video glitches at the end of the ad, I think I get the same amount of ad as if the video had just played at the end.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

G-Man wrote:SFDebris, I have a method of dealing with this, but it uses the assumption that you are getting paid for the ads even if the video does not run afterwards. What I have been doing is watching the ad all the way through, then reloading the page, turning the adblock on, starting the video, and after it starts playing, immediately turning the adblock off. That way, I see the ad once, and I see any ads that play after the video. Assuming that the ad pays even if the video glitches at the end of the ad, I think I get the same amount of ad as if the video had just played at the end.
I have been using the same method when a video just refuses to play after two or three tries. Turn adblock on, start video, turn adblock off... hope that next time around or at the end its ads I can actually let play.