DS9: Business as Usual

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
pilight
Officer

DS9: Business as Usual

Post by pilight »

Chuck confuses "debtors" and "creditors". But later in the review he gets it right!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: DS9: Business as Usual

Post by Yukaphile »

Came back to say I disagree with Chuck. A gun is not neutral, it's just as lethal with intent as sarin gas is. It was built with the sole purpose to maim or to murder, and even with the best of reasons and even if it's doing so to truly awful people, it's still as a byproduct of human nature, our endless conflicts and lust for war.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

Guns like spears, crossbows, slings, bows and arrows and so forth have had and do have good uses outside of war or murdering people as they have been used as tools for hunting for food or controlling dangerous pests like invasive species though.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've seen a gun erroneously compared to a hammer before, and it's a false equivalency. A hammer or any of those weapons cannot kill dozens or hundreds of people within minutes in a single hand.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I'm British, and hands down I would hate to have gun culture the likes of the US. I am very happy with the fact that only responsible, trained people are allowed to use guns. I say this because of what I am going to say next: its the person that kills, not the gun. Left on its own a gun is 100% harmless.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Perhaps, but then the same is true for any other weapon when it's not being used. The same argument can be made for a nuclear bomb, which has no other intent but to murder millions of lives in a single blast. It's just I find Chuck making a distinction between sarin gas and a gun to be a bit of a mistaken assumption. If he wants to say a gun is neutral, then so is sarin gas. After all, it will kill man, woman, and child regardless of political or religious backgrounds, whether they've sinned or not. That's kind of fair, when you think about it. In a natural way, that is. The same way we're all equal in death, rich and poor, young and old, doesn't matter.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

I do have to say the sci-fi elements of this episode are what tingle me most. It's such a clever use of the worldbuilding that it makes me jealous I wasn't the one to think of it, the whole holographic weapon shop. It's such a minor thing but it feels strangely...creative, I guess.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:40 pm I do have to say the sci-fi elements of this episode are what tingle me most. It's such a clever use of the worldbuilding that it makes me jealous I wasn't the one to think of it, the whole holographic weapon shop. It's such a minor thing but it feels strangely...creative, I guess.
Especially because it was also used as a loophole in the law.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 pm Perhaps, but then the same is true for any other weapon when it's not being used. The same argument can be made for a nuclear bomb, which has no other intent but to murder millions of lives in a single blast. It's just I find Chuck making a distinction between sarin gas and a gun to be a bit of a mistaken assumption. If he wants to say a gun is neutral, then so is sarin gas. After all, it will kill man, woman, and child regardless of political or religious backgrounds, whether they've sinned or not. That's kind of fair, when you think about it. In a natural way, that is. The same way we're all equal in death, rich and poor, young and old, doesn't matter.
Perhaps you'd like to make a couple dozen threads on the subject.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:33 pm Came back to say I disagree with Chuck. A gun is not neutral, it's just as lethal with intent as sarin gas is. It was built with the sole purpose to maim or to murder, and even with the best of reasons and even if it's doing so to truly awful people, it's still as a byproduct of human nature, our endless conflicts and lust for war.
:lol: A gun is just an inanimate object, dude.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR