Doctor Who: The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Megabeatman
Redshirt

Doctor Who: The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End

Post by Megabeatman »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/s30e12.php
https://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/s30e13.php

There were some things about this finale that I enjoyed like the callback to Genesis of the Daleks and the companion team up. My main grip is what happened to Donna. It would’ve been nice if we had more adventures with her and the Doctor. Thankfully, Big Finish released and audio set with Ten and Donna so I can atleast enjoy some more adventures in some fashion.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: Doctor Who: The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End

Post by Sir Will »

I love this story. Except, yeah, it sucks what happened to Donna of course. She didn't die, but he brought out the best in her. She was kind of a jerk without him and not living up to her potential. Well at least she's rich and married, so still a happy ending.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Donna's growth as a person was reset, but her mother and grandfather will treat her a little differently, and she has the potential to grow again. "Where there's life," after all...
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

So Rose gets her happy ending, getting her spare Doctor who
Actually, the character's name isn't Doctor Who, that's just the title of-
'll age with her.
. . .

Never mind.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Donna was my favorite companion of the Tennant years and she sort of got shafted. Not only in her ending, but she has to share a multiparter with Martha, then got sidelined in the Library so River could get screentime, and then had to share the finale with everyone. She basically only got a couple episodes to be a companion on her own.

Someone that would talk back and argue with the Doctor was so much better than petty lovesick Rose. Ugh, can't stand Rose.
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:37 pm Donna was my favorite companion of the Tennant years and she sort of got shafted. Not only in her ending, but she has to share a multiparter with Martha, then got sidelined in the Library so River could get screentime, and then had to share the finale with everyone. She basically only got a couple episodes to be a companion on her own.

Someone that would talk back and argue with the Doctor was so much better than petty lovesick Rose. Ugh, can't stand Rose.
Table for 2 on hating Rose. Donna is my favorite and I hate her ending. She was clear she would rather die than lose her memories and lose who she had become and The Doctor overrides that. Which is just wrong. Plus Rose gets a happy? ending? Yeesh! These are 2 great episodes that I hate because Donna does get shafted in so many ways.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Apparently this is the big controversy of the tenant years. To be fair it does lead to the idea of the doctor getting more and more I know what's best for everyone until he's shocked out of it by the return of the time Lords.

I have to be honest I thought I was going to hate that shit out of Donna. But yeah after 3 or so people who practically worship the ground he walked on it was kind of nice to have someone who thanks to her own self-importance certainly liked the opportunities he offered but wasnt basically a young chippy in order to make him feel better. I think that the last companion set of The Grouchy guy years reflects That Bass. Sure he's deliberately teaching them but it feels as if he's taking responsibility for that as opposed to just being so awesome it passively happens

still I mean is it a good thing

she was going to die because she randomly got dowsed with artron regents energy
She was Mentally compromised and the results of a conspiracy by a Dalek in order to make her into this. I think that overrides some ideas about personal autonomy. When someone's having a psychotic break we sedate them and provide base level treatment regardless of what they're spewing at the time

But still yeah this seems like the most genuinely tragic of the companion is as opposed to oh no I won't have that hot guy though I have my entire family in the new universe to play in
User 2632
Redshirt

Post by User 2632 »

I'd like to think that if the Doctor hadn't been so arrogant, and discussed what was going to happen with Donna before she started to destabilize, she may have come up with the idea to use the Fobwatch Chameleon thingy to change her Human brain into a Time Lord brain, thus allowing her to retain her consciousness and survive.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I honestly find this ending sadder than if she'd just plain died. As non-sequiter as it is, it makes me think of Red Dwarf's Back to Reality. "You got stuck playing Rimmer as the pratt version for three years?"

Feck if you really want to give her a happy version of a normal life, go set her up with her husband from Shadows in the Library. ( I know, I know, past memories would set it off, but she thought he wasn't real so maybe it wouldn't trigger?)

For those of you who want more Donna, I highly recommend the novelizations on audio (dunno if they also have a print form) Shining Darkness and Beautiful Chaos. Worst thing about Beautiful Chaos is its well-meaning attempts at a sympathetic portrayal of Donna's mum, whom I feel is overdue for an appointment with a trained clitoris-attacking hermit crab.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Rjak
Redshirt

Post by Rjak »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought it was wrong of the Doctor to do that to Donna. If she would rather keep her memories and die then that's her choice. It's like if a brain surgeon decided to operate on someone without their permission. Too bad this Doctor doesn't have to answer to a medical board.