King's Demons (Doctor Who)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Maximara
Redshirt

King's Demons (Doctor Who)

Post by Maximara »

Things are a little more complicated with King John then is related by Sfdebris.

In 21 May 1216 King Louis arrived with an army and proclaimed himself king. King John died of dysentery 19 October 1216 leaving Louis as the only king in England. More over thanks to his marriage King Louis was the only adult male with any claim to inherit the throne.

The papal legate, less then thrilled with this development, rewrote the rules of succession and quickly crowned John's nine-year-old son, Henry, king. The battle between King Louis and King Henry III for the throne ended on 20 May 1217 with Louis defeat.

Now the Magna Cara was agreed to on 15 June 1215 or over a year before King Louis showed up. By associating John with demons the Master would have raised serious questions about Henry becoming king...making King Louis the First (and Last) more likely to be king past 1217.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: King's Demons (Doctor Who)

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Not that it still made a hell of a lot of sense why the Master would care which medieval king was running things in thirteenth-century England.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah, usually his type only screw with the timeline like that to create a massive quantum thingy with the paradox energy, which wasn't going to happen here.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Not that it still made a hell of a lot of sense why the Master would care which medieval king was running things in thirteenth-century England.
Obviously, knowing England is the Doctor's favourite country in the whole universe, it was a gambit to eliminate the English as a distinct nationality and the English language and replace them with French ones; and as we all know the English and the French are mortal enemies and thus replacing English culture and language with French is the ultimate sacrilege to Englishmen and Anglophiles through all of time and space and thus replacing one medieval king with another would be the ultimate insult to the Doctor!

:P

Okay, being serious, iirc isn't it established that Kameleon was a recent acquisition of the Master's? Maybe he was using this as a test run, mucking around in a small way before he used Kaleleon for something greater (maybe even using him to impersonate the Doctor for some scheme or another?).
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

To be frank, few (maybe even none) of the Master's schemes make much sense if you look at them closely.

He's not so much a super villain as a troll on a universal scale.

And now I'm envisioning Missy horribly messing up history then saying to the Doctor, "It was just a prank, bro!"
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

ScreamingDoom wrote: And now I'm envisioning Missy horribly messing up history then saying to the Doctor, "It was just a prank, bro!"
That's actually close to canon already - the destruction of ~1/3 the universe in the 70s/80s back in 'Logopolis' was an accident and not what he originally intended.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Dînadan wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:Not that it still made a hell of a lot of sense why the Master would care which medieval king was running things in thirteenth-century England.
Obviously, knowing England is the Doctor's favourite country in the whole universe, it was a gambit to eliminate the English as a distinct nationality and the English language and replace them with French ones; and as we all know the English and the French are mortal enemies and thus replacing English culture and language with French is the ultimate sacrilege to Englishmen and Anglophiles through all of time and space and thus replacing one medieval king with another would be the ultimate insult to the Doctor!

:P
Given that John, being from the House of Normandy, was also French (his last name was Plantagenet for crying out loud), I don't think that would have worked. :P
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

ScreamingDoom wrote:To be frank, few (maybe even none) of the Master's schemes make much sense if you look at them closely.

He's not so much a super villain as a troll on a universal scale.

And now I'm envisioning Missy horribly messing up history then saying to the Doctor, "It was just a prank, bro!"
Well, confusing the lengths she'll go to for a birthday present...
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Given that John, being from the House of Normandy, was also French (his last name was Plantagenet for crying out loud), I don't think that would have worked. :P
I know that and you know that but does the Master know that? Or the writer of the episode in the above exaggerated-for-comedic-effect-spiel? ;)
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Well, it wouldn't be the first historically weird thing the episode did (teaching children that King John wanted to sign the Magna Carta? What?).