Mahoromatic

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
kyuven
Redshirt

Re: Mahoromatic

Post by kyuven »

Watching today's review...

Chuck finally found the golden plot arc for "half season" (12-13ish episode) anime.

episode 1 establishes the story, 2-4/5 introduce characters, 6-7 is fucking around, and 8 is when the plot finally shows up.

Seriously it's hard to unsee that the more you watch.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Yes. It's amazing how quickly this series will now descend from the current frivolity and hijinks to deadly seriousness and sadness in the space of only 9 more episodes (14th is the last).
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

jstrahan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 pm Yes. It's amazing how quickly this series will now descend from the current frivolity and hijinks to deadly seriousness and sadness.
I believe that accurately sums up a lot of anime.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Are the other extreme, shows that got a hundred or more episodes. There doesn't seem to be much of an in between with anime. Either they get about a dozen episodes, or they get hundreds.
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

I'd like to register an official complaint with regard to the latest review. I like to eat while watching vids, and it took me forever to eat watching the latest vid due to how much laughing I was doing :P
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Now they got such a thing as "seasonal" anime. Dragon Ball Super got 100 episodes. One Punch Man might break that barrier, but it'll take years to do so, while it only took DBS within a handful of years. Less than five.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

How about Detective Conan? It has 938 episodes ... and counting. That would be $23,450 if somebody were to ask Chuck to review all of them. Plus, $4200 to review all 22 movies. Plus, $350 to do all 14 OVAs. That makes a total of $28,000 for Chuck. Too bad (for him, not us) it has little science fiction or fantasy.
Last edited by jstrahan on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Pokemon is also a long-runner, and has been going nonstop since 1997, 22 years, which is the length of some sci-fi franchises. Shit, that's longer than the run we had with Trek from TNG to Enterprise. Of course, that they rebooted the universe four years later... does that really count? Because the plans for it went back to 2006. Soon, Pokemon will surpass Classic Who, mufufufufu...
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:31 pm Pokemon is also a long-runner, and has been going nonstop since 1997, 22 years
Detective Conan has been going nonstop for 23 years. :)

BTW, what anime is your Yuka from?