Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Full Moon

Post by TGLS »

Hm. 1747 days; previous prediction was 2284 days, off by about 30.7%. Blocking the episodes burned through the remainder I suppose.
--
On one hand, I have to agree that there was too much filler. This was part of what turned me off from the series to begin with (well that and KnM). When the story picked up in the last two blocks, I think that's where my opinion turned around on the series. After watching the series over the past three weeks, I think the mistake was not watching it earlier, though it ended happier than I expected.

Also, was Chuck a much faster talker 5 years ago?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Almost 5 years later and Chuck has reached end of Full Moon. Following his reviews of Full Moon have been it's own journey. Ending was more happier than I had expected but then again I guess they already had saddest part when Mitsuki found out that Eichi had died and she was willing to die as well. At least to me that was easily saddest part in entire series. Also I find Meroko looking really beautiful as Angel compared to way she looked as Death Spirit.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Kid, you make a terrible Reaper

... lucky for you they got an opening in the Guardian Angel squad
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

I guess, after five years, it's time to change my avatar. :)
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

That show was unexpected, and I'm glad to have stuck through all the reviews. Even when it was a bit silly, it was never bad. Lots of satisfying character arcs, and some true pathos without any deaths-for-the-sake-of-it and the sad endings were at least bittersweet. In the end, it was a fairly realistic (despite the fantastical elements) and hopeful show.
kyuven
Redshirt

Post by kyuven »

Deledrius wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:45 pm Lots of satisfying character arcs, and some true pathos without any deaths-for-the-sake-of-it and the sad endings were at least bittersweet. In the end, it was a fairly realistic (despite the fantastical elements) and hopeful show.
Honestly I'd say this is helped by its genre and target audience.

One of the great advantages of family media (not necessarily kids media, but stuff like this where an adult can get something out of the show the same as a kid) is that it serves as a restraining bolt on how nasty the writers are allowed to get.

As pointed out before in other posts, the original manga went to some REALLY dark places. Places you really can't go for a family show, but would be fine for a "young women's" audience.

Any deaths you have have to MEAN something. They either further the plot or the characterization. You can't get away with senseless destruction and loss of life, such as Gantz or Deadman Wonderland or Berserk, because you're basically awarded a finite number of deaths before your show gets executive interference and/or moral guardian outrage.

A lot of the animated shows Chuck has done operate within this principle: Avatar, Batman: TAS, and Justice League. Even Star Trek basically operates under this principle.

And honestly, I love it. Sure a lot of tension can be lost, but it also ups the stakes when it DOES happen. And good writers can really make it work.

Plus when you can't just murder characters you don't like, it encourages you to actually DO something with them.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

kyuven wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:44 pmHonestly I'd say this is helped by its genre and target audience.

One of the great advantages of family media (not necessarily kids media, but stuff like this where an adult can get something out of the show the same as a kid) is that it serves as a restraining bolt on how nasty the writers are allowed to get.

As pointed out before in other posts, the original manga went to some REALLY dark places. Places you really can't go for a family show, but would be fine for a "young women's" audience.

Any deaths you have have to MEAN something. They either further the plot or the characterization. You can't get away with senseless destruction and loss of life, such as Gantz or Deadman Wonderland or Berserk, because you're basically awarded a finite number of deaths before your show gets executive interference and/or moral guardian outrage.

A lot of the animated shows Chuck has done operate within this principle: Avatar, Batman: TAS, and Justice League. Even Star Trek basically operates under this principle.

And honestly, I love it. Sure a lot of tension can be lost, but it also ups the stakes when it DOES happen. And good writers can really make it work.

Plus when you can't just murder characters you don't like, it encourages you to actually DO something with them.
I entirely agree. I think the big advantage of a "nominal children's show" appears to be that there are some limitations about what you are allowed to do. Necessity being the mother of invention, putting a break on that crap seems to give you rather better story-telling.

Character death in particular has moved from a tool to be used sparingly at critical moments to something to be abused for limited shock value where it appears that quantity is believed to important and that many character deaths have geometically more impact than one. Whereas the reverse tends to be true. (See, for instance, the big two comic book producers in the last decade or two. Heck, you could argue that the MCU has benefitted from them not being able to gratuitously killing all the characters off every five minutes for no good reason, compared to Marvel and DC's comic book offerings...)
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Difference between American and Japanese way of thinking is that Japanese seem to have more respect towards they children and they ability to handle topics like death. For example Super Sentai (made for audience younger than Kamen Rider) that Power Rangers is adapted from tends to involve death in them with some writers that they have had being best at stories like that. Of course Japanese also make shows that are more in line with what American parents find acceptable that are targeted towards younger kids so there is that as well. So yeah, not entire world follows same standards as you Americans do.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

kyuven wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:44 pm And honestly, I love it. Sure a lot of tension can be lost, but it also ups the stakes when it DOES happen. And good writers can really make it work.

Indeed. In my experience, shows where everyone is dying all the time without narrative weight or justification are the ones that tend to lose tension. Full Moon managed to maintain that tension by having it be rare and meaningful.
Aotrs Commander wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm I entirely agree. I think the big advantage of a "nominal children's show" appears to be that there are some limitations about what you are allowed to do. Necessity being the mother of invention, putting a break on that crap seems to give you rather better story-telling.

Character death in particular has moved from a tool to be used sparingly at critical moments to something to be abused for limited shock value where it appears that quantity is believed to important and that many character deaths have geometically more impact than one.
Exactly!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

jstrahan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm I guess, after five years, it's time to change my avatar. :)
Yeah, i was wondering why you decided your online face should be represented by the result of Frosty's magic hat being put on a crunchy sock.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville