5ive Days to Midnight

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: 5ive Days to Midnight

Post by clearspira »

My question here is the same I had when watching ''Minority Report'': why not just go where it isn't?
In Minority Report, Cruise knows that Precrime only works in one state. Therefore go somewhere else in the country, wait it out, and suddenly you are a free man. Don't go looking for the crime scene where you know there is a very good chance you are about to murder someone; go looking for answers after it has been proven that you are not guilty.

Same here. This is a police report with a named detective on it so it is easy to work out what state the murder happened in. Go on vacation to anywhere else and boom, you are no longer murdered. Dilemma solved. Fewer tropes bother me more than the idiot plot.

PS I often wonder what is behind certain requests. Don't get me wrong, its his money and his request, he has every right to request what he wants. But why go for something this forgettable and vanilla? My only guess is that it has Nicole De boer in it; which has shades of the only reason I think someone requested ''Night of the Comet''. Although in that case Beltran is very much playing an alternate version of Chakotay, so much so that you honestly wonder if Janeway was the one behind the zombie apocalypse.
Killerbee256
Redshirt

Post by Killerbee256 »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am My question here is the same I had when watching ''Minority Report'': why not just go where it isn't?
In Minority Report, Cruise knows that Precrime only works in one state. Therefore go somewhere else in the country, wait it out, and suddenly you are a free man. Don't go looking for the crime scene where you know there is a very good chance you are about to murder someone; go looking for answers after it has been proven that you are not guilty.

Same here. This is a police report with a named detective on it so it is easy to work out what state the murder happened in. Go on vacation to anywhere else and boom, you are no longer murdered. Dilemma solved. Fewer tropes bother me more than the idiot plot.

PS I often wonder what is behind certain requests. Don't get me wrong, its his money and his request, he has every right to request what he wants. But why go for something this forgettable and vanilla? My only guess is that it has Nicole De boer in it; which has shades of the only reason I think someone requested ''Night of the Comet''. Although in that case Beltran is very much playing an alternate version of Chakotay, so much so that you honestly wonder if Janeway was the one behind the zombie apocalypse.
I was thinking the same thing during chuck's review, the man is a professor if I was him and truly worried I would take a sabbatical and go on vacation for two weeks.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Killerbee256 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:03 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am My question here is the same I had when watching ''Minority Report'': why not just go where it isn't?

I was thinking the same thing during chuck's review, the man is a professor if I was him and truly worried I would take a sabbatical and go on vacation for two weeks.
You know, if I had gotten some cosmic message that someone was going to kill me... I am assuming the person trying to kill me WILL KEEP TRYING but I won't get another cosmic warning.

Might as well use this incredibly small bandwidth of circumstances to change the future toward an optimal outcome, than just temporarily dodge a bullet... Literally dodge a bullet.

The only way out is thru.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Depending on how time travel rules work, if you leave the state, and thus avoid getting murdered, then you'd never be sent warning of your impending murder in the first place, thus you never get the warning, never leave the state, and never get murdered. Thus, the only people who can ever receive a warning of their impending murder are those too boneheaded to make effective use of the warning; everyone else gets their warnings destroyed via paradox.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

This is off topic a bit but if the other thing is with Deboer as a main char pre ds9 who else thinks thats going to be cube? Threres only three things I could think of that were right before ds9 and only two of them were science fiction related.At least with stuff she played a main role in.
smcrabtr
Redshirt

Post by smcrabtr »

Good review as always. I remember previews for this miniseries, but never watched it when originally aired.

Just one thing unrelated to the plot that I noticed in the clip shown early on in the daughter’s bedroom as she first plays with her new laser. As a geochemistry professor who does a lot of elementary school outreach, I love it when movies and tv episodes/miniseries show kids taking an early interest in science, without being like the annoying kids in so many Godzilla and Gamera films.

Her periodic table, supposedly self-drawn given the font style, seems pretty thorough, including element symbols, names, atomic numbers, and seemingly even atomic masses, as well as being color coded for metals, metalloids, and non-metals. And yet....the symbol for Palladium (Pd) is shown as Ph. I actually rewound a few times to check. And no, this error isn’t noted on IMDb. Just curious if I’m the only one that picked up on this, and if I’m the only one bothered that her physicist father didn’t notice the error.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

sayla0079 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 am This is off topic a bit but if the other thing is with Deboer as a main char pre ds9 who else thinks thats going to be cube? Threres only three things I could think of that were right before ds9 and only two of them were science fiction related.At least with stuff she played a main role in.
Hewlett from Stargate is also in it. Very good bet.
And damn am I looking forward to it. The sequels were absolutely awful though.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, I've never heard of this miniseries before now, and I can already tell that this is going to end with his investigation forcing him into the exact cause of death that the police report has. Mostly because their own investigation is making people want to kill him in the first place. It's a bit of a cliche plot, to the point where even My Little Pony has covered this type of story. Unless this miniseries is VERY clever about it, the main character will come off as an idiot for not just doing what they can to avoid what they can, and just enjoy a few days in the Bahamas, Alaska, Las Vegas, Austin, wherever.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 am
sayla0079 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 am This is off topic a bit but if the other thing is with Deboer as a main char pre ds9 who else thinks thats going to be cube? Threres only three things I could think of that were right before ds9 and only two of them were science fiction related.At least with stuff she played a main role in.
Hewlett from Stargate is also in it. Very good bet.
And damn am I looking forward to it. The sequels were absolutely awful though.
Looking at her IMDB before ds9 it has to be either cube (movie) or mission genesis/deepwater black (short tv series) science fiction wise considering how long her IMDB is.
Killerbee256
Redshirt

Post by Killerbee256 »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:16 pm
Killerbee256 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:03 pm

You know, if I had gotten some cosmic message that someone was going to kill me... I am assuming the person trying to kill me WILL KEEP TRYING but I won't get another cosmic warning.

Might as well use this incredibly small bandwidth of circumstances to change the future toward an optimal outcome, than just temporarily dodge a bullet... Literally dodge a bullet.

The only way out is thru.
Honestly it depends on why they are trying to kill you. Could looking into your future murder attract the killer's attention? Would running away? Either way it is a gamble. As I said if it was me I would get as far away from that strip club as possible