King Kong vs. Godzilla Review and History

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: King Kong vs. Godzilla Review and History

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

A pretty good review, I always love how informative Chuck's background videos are, makes me really appreciate how much research he puts into this show.

And wow, it's been a long time since I watched this...but man, Kong looks like crud. Must've been low on funds if they couldn't afford to give the top billed character a new suit, something that becomes a recurring theme for Toho as the series goes on and the films are held back due to the studio's cheapness.

Fun Fact: The Octopus' name is Oodako and it goes on to appear in the alternate ending of Frankenstein Conquers the World and its sequel War of the Gargantuas.
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 am
TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 am I was a little confused by the joke about the main characters explorer outfits being associated with smallpox blankets. I'm guessing they're associated with the European colonization of Africa? Still, when I see those outfits the first thing I think is less "exploiting the natives" and more "cheap Halloween costume" or "whatever a character in a 90's kids show would wear when they're supposed to be in a jungle".
When the British colonized North America (this was before the American Revolution), they gave some Indians blankets that carried smallpox. The Indians through the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes area fell victim to a really nasty smallpox plague. Whether the blankets did it or not is in question, but the intent seemed to be there.
Though it should likely be noted that disease during that time was believed to be caused by Miasma as just what caused diseases and how they spread weren't really understood back then and wouldn't be until the latter part of the nineteenth century.

That being said the outfit was something more associated with british efforts in Africa in the 19th century as others have likely pointed out rather than anything in the British's american efforts.

Not enough armor and swords or multi-pointed hats to be british explorers of the Americas gear.
yamiangie
Redshirt

Post by yamiangie »

I'm so going to take "numbers don't work in the Godzilla universe" and modify and use it for people failing at math in fiction.
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

I thought the background was thought provoking and an interesting look into the films history... but one thing stood out to me. The picture he used when he mentioned Osamu Tezuka? It's a picture of Akira Toriyama. Just thought it was a funny little mistake.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

It's super weird that this was the third Godzilla movie ever, produced less than ten years after the original.

Chuck compares it to Aliens going in a different direction from the original Alien, but I'd say that contrast is pretty mild compared to what we get here. The only other possible contender for a sequel that is such a complete 180 from the original might be Rambo for First Blood.
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

As some one who understand Japanese. The subtitle in this movie are really F-up....
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Chuck discussed the rumors of the alternative ending. These were false, of course. There is no ending to this movie where Kong won. Godzilla is, and always has been in every incarnation, amphibious. The Legendary version even has gills. Godzilla not emerging from the water after they fall into the ocean does not mean he was defeated. He could fight under water all day. Kong, on the other hand, is an air breather. No way he could continue the fight in the water. Kong was swimming away like a bitch.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

s955120 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 am As some one who understand Japanese. The subtitle in this movie are really F-up....
Oh? Can you give some examples?
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

fun fact; the name 'Mr. Tako' literally translates to 'Mr. Octopus'. and seeing as he works for a pharmaceutical company, i wonder if he has some sort of doctorate.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Chuck, I think you've spent too much time reviewing Star Trek The Next Generation. You've started imitating Picard in his hatred of small, not yet fully developed humanoids.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.