Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

True. Starfleet should have dedicated more efforts to stopping piracy, and for all we know, they did, but because Enterprise was so limp-wristed a show, they never address this. How much more awesome would it be if Archer had promised to tell Starfleet, and get them on this matter? It would show Ryan was obsessed, and not listening to reason. And make Archer seem more human. Getting back to the topic, I think perhaps... one big area of Chuck's I disagree in that I'm finding related to these two points is that he seems to be in favor of making hard choices for the greater good, and while that's a good idea a lot of the times, it's not always a good idea. Depends on the battle.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 am True. Starfleet should have dedicated more efforts to stopping piracy, and for all we know, they did, but because Enterprise was so limp-wristed a show, they never address this. How much more awesome would it be if Archer had promised to tell Starfleet, and get them on this matter? It would show Ryan was obsessed, and not listening to reason. And make Archer seem more human. Getting back to the topic, I think perhaps... one big area of Chuck's I disagree in that I'm finding related to these two points is that he seems to be in favor of making hard choices for the greater good, and while that's a good idea a lot of the times, it's not always a good idea. Depends on the battle.
yeah, you can be both a moralist AND a pragmatist. "situational ethics" is also a part of that morality spectrum. and I still completely disagree with Chuck on "Equinox". I don't know if I was clear on this but the Spirit things were sapient and thus, what Ransom did was no different then if he was killing humanoids to get his ship home.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What is "situational ethics?" I also think it was muddied by the fact Janeway will unapologetically let billions die and defend it by "the way things are and should be." At least Picard had the decency to feel bad for them.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I think that speaks to the quality of the writers who worked on TNG vs. VOY. VOY always struck me as a pathetic attempt to recreate TNG without understanding the qualities that made that show popular.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:23 am What is "situational ethics?"
Uhm nothing like I thought it meant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situational_ethics

Honestly I thought it had been turned into a person that goes to what ever helps them or their cause the most. The definitions here make me wonder what I had been reading to get that idea.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

about Janeway being willing to let billions die, since there is no way I can see to keep that and still have the character sympathetic, I choose to just ignore that that ever happened, like with "Dear Doctor".
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Headcanon for the win! Thank you, Voyager. :lol:
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's another area I disagree with Chuck. He said how stupid Riker's line is that he believes in "brain over brawn" or something like that with the comparison "that's like saying you're in favor of safe sex, but don't believe in condoms." I mean, take it from me, there are some guys out there who hate the idea of rubbers so much, they'd rather go with any other means they could to avoid it, even if that means a vasectomy. :lol:
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:27 am Here's another area I disagree with Chuck. He said how stupid Riker's line is that he believes in "brain over brawn" or something like that with the comparison "that's like saying you're in favor of safe sex, but don't believe in condoms." I mean, take it from me, there are some guys out there who hate the idea of rubbers so much, they'd rather go with any other means they could to avoid it, even if that means a vasectomy. :lol:
Even if it means the woman gets pregnant or aids. Hey that's her problem, not mine.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hey, you can get checked out for STIs or STDs, easy. My point, however, was that condoms aren't the only method of birth control, and some people, men and women, might not prefer them.