Evangelion 3.33 Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Gruntagen
Redshirt

Re: Evangelion 3.33 Review

Post by Gruntagen »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 pm Are you one of Digi's Patrons? Maybe you could make him rant about SFdebris Anime reviews?
Dude, no. No. Fucking No. NO! PLEASE, GOD, NO!
aaa1e2r3
Redshirt

Post by aaa1e2r3 »

I'm curious what Chuck's thoughts would be on the recent news confirming that the dub was changed to make Shinji and Kaoru's relationship to be much more explicit in contrast to the original Japanese where it was apparently supposed to be more ambiguous
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

And the 4th one is finally coming up, well get the 10min preview next week.

Here is some background on why 3.33 was completely different from the teaser: The "2011 earthquake off the Pacific coast of Tōhoku" happened.

After seeing the devastation caused by the earthquake, Anno scraped the original script, and rewrote this one.

Personally I think it was the bad move to make such a big change mid series...

I feel bad for Chuck having even less clue than the series' seasoned followers.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:10 pm Chuck complains a lot about being confused by the Lore, but the problem is the Lore was never as important as the hardcore fans wanted it to be.

I recommend watching the YouTube video called The Curse of Evangelion, by a YouTuber who's name is a Period.
Yeah I watched it and now I kinda dislike Eva even more. Oh, yeah, sure, escapism is bad, all these characters actually not being total shit heels is wrong and you fell for it, being shitty asshole people is inevitable, joy is stupid, having fun is self-destructive, cynicism and accepting the world as is and being a closed off asshole is preferable. Don't rely on others ever, cynicism this, nihilism that.

Sorry, I don't like being told I'm a terrible person for enjoying escapist fiction or wanting characters who aren't total pieces of shit who make me hate them merely by existing. You know, the more I try to understand Eva, the more I realize I'm never going to like it because its various themes, beliefs and narrative choices are completely opposite of my own beliefs and I find that offensive to me.
Gruntagen
Redshirt

Post by Gruntagen »

s955120 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm Here is some background on why 3.33 was completely different from the teaser: The "2011 earthquake off the Pacific coast of Tōhoku" happened.

After seeing the devastation caused by the earthquake, Anno scraped the original script, and rewrote this one.

I refuse to take that as a factual statement. People have made similar assumptions about the original Evangelion being reshaped because of a terrorist attack, only for those claims to have come out of thin air.

How about I start my own bullshit statement: Evangelion 4.0 will be six hours long and feature everyone dying before we get a half hour scene of Anno monologuing about what it was all about before blowing his brains out on film.
pir2confusion
Redshirt

Post by pir2confusion »

aaa1e2r3 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 pm I'm curious what Chuck's thoughts would be on the recent news confirming that the dub was changed to make Shinji and Kaoru's relationship to be much more explicit in contrast to the original Japanese where it was apparently supposed to be more ambiguous
There was no "news" someone just made up a post on something awful and people wanted to believe it.
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

I've said this elsewhere, but 1.11 and 2.22 always felt like they were retelling the story on a more happy note, and then 3.33 comes along to remind everyone: This is Eva.You're not going to get a happy ending.

A thing to note on the Shinji front at the end: He was supposed to be more responsive, but supposedly Megumi Ogata was so heartbroken after doing the scene where Kaworu dies, she couldn't do anymore of Shinji's lines. Anno thought it actually worked better, so decided to go with a catatonic Shinji at the end of the film. Granted this is just what I've read, so it might be false, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

As for the review... I'm honestly not surprised this one left Chuck exasperated, while I do think the rebuild movies are a vast improvement to the series over all, and I really do like this entry. It can be hard to follow at times, especially for those who have not watched the original series, because events there colour and inform the decisions made for this movie.
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

Gruntagen wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 pm
s955120 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm Here is some background on why 3.33 was completely different from the teaser: The "2011 earthquake off the Pacific coast of Tōhoku" happened.

I refuse to take that as a factual statement. People have made similar assumptions about the original Evangelion being reshaped because of a terrorist attack, only for those claims to have come out of thin air.

How about I start my own bullshit statement: Evangelion 4.0 will be six hours long and feature everyone dying before we get a half hour scene of Anno monologuing about what it was all about before blowing his brains out on film.
You are right, we should separate speculations and facts.
And for some reason I can't find the original source of the interview of Ogata, I think I will take that entire response back.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

LavarosVA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 pm I've said this elsewhere, but 1.11 and 2.22 always felt like they were retelling the story on a more happy note, and then 3.33 comes along to remind everyone: This is Eva.You're not going to get a happy ending.
To me 1.11 and 2.22 are so good because they are re-tellings of series that in my opinion actually improve it while 3.33 feels to me like downgrade when it comes to story and characters. It feels like sequel that wasn't needed but was made just to cash in since NGE is still so popular franchise with plenty of merchandise like figures, model kits and etc. still being made and sold to this day. And of course Rebuild movies gave new chance to make more of those. Of course I will surely eventually feel same way about 4.44 when or if it finally comes out. And I have seen both original anime series and these Rebuild movies so far as well as I have read manga adaption of NGE so I am familiar with it's lore, story and characters.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

Rodan56 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:10 pm Chuck complains a lot about being confused by the Lore, but the problem is the Lore was never as important as the hardcore fans wanted it to be.

I recommend watching the YouTube video called The Curse of Evangelion, by a YouTuber who's name is a Period.
Yeah I watched it and now I kinda dislike Eva even more. Oh, yeah, sure, escapism is bad, all these characters actually not being total shit heels is wrong and you fell for it, being shitty asshole people is inevitable, joy is stupid, having fun is self-destructive, cynicism and accepting the world as is and being a closed off asshole is preferable. Don't rely on others ever, cynicism this, nihilism that.

Sorry, I don't like being told I'm a terrible person for enjoying escapist fiction or wanting characters who aren't total pieces of shit who make me hate them merely by existing. You know, the more I try to understand Eva, the more I realize I'm never going to like it because its various themes, beliefs and narrative choices are completely opposite of my own beliefs and I find that offensive to me.
I didn't watch that video, but if that's what you get from it, then I think it got some serious problems...

Like, "escapism is bad, you're a terrible person for enjoying escapist fiction" ? Really? From Anno? The guy who made escapism fiction himself? The guy who chatted with dojin artists on the topic of how to draw better fapping material base on his creations?

"being a closed off asshole is preferable." In a show that ended with stop being closed off and still keeping hope in having contact with other people... right....

In which part of the show will you even get that kind of massage?