Evangelion 3.33 Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: Evangelion 3.33 Review

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Who's Rodan?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

A nineteenth century French modernist sculptor, but that's not important now.
bluebydefault
Redshirt

Post by bluebydefault »

Oh thank goodness if Chuck is lost then I don't feel so bad. Of course, the people I watched this one with were jerks about the fact I asked questions about it. If I'm honest I think they mainly got angry because it was an emperor's new clothes moment.They didn't want to admit they were lost too.

On the names thing I wish people would cut others some slack on pronouncing them "wrong" sometimes. My irl name originated in Ireland, but depending on where someone is from in the U.S. it gets pronounced differently.I just roll with it though. I've heard it in different ways. I'm sure the same thing happens with names in other countries and regions.
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

Rodan56 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 am I'm only repeating what the damn video said
If you hate EVA it's in your right, and I don't have the right to force you change your opinion.

But what I want to say is: it's wrong to watch an analysis video - even worse, half of an analysis video- than automatically believed that's the show all about.

What you're currently doing is like watching a news, in which they talk about the story about someone in internet accusing CYBERPUNK 2077 being racist. And after watching half of it you just started running around saying you hate CYBERPUNK because it's racist and "it's not my fault, I'm just repeating what they said."
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

I think an easy lesson to learn here is: Don't watch DigiBro's content.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Rodan56 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 am I'm only repeating what the damn video said
So basically what you are saying that you don't have your own opinion about EVA and you don't even want to form your own opinion so you much rather repeat what some one else has said about it.

Thing that some people don't seem to realize about EVA that it's deconstruction of mecha anime (yes, that's were my forum name comes from) just like Puella Magi Madoka Magica (another anime that I like) is deconstruction of magical girl anime.

Also NGE was originally made when Anno was suffering from mental health issues which reflects to way characters are and way he handled End of Evangelion movie that was meant to serve as alternative ending since ending of proper series was what it was thanks to Gainax running out of money to complete it way it was originally planned.

First two Rebuild movies were basically retelling of NGE with 2nd one even bringing new to the table and introducing Marie as brand new character while better or worse 3rd one went to it's own direction to continue story it's own way. Very much like what they did with PMMM movies and what they are doing with Code Geass movies.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Gruntagen
Redshirt

Post by Gruntagen »

LavarosVA wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:58 am I think an easy lesson to learn here is: Don't watch DigiBro's content.
This isn't even Digibro's content.
Though I do agree you shouldn't watch anything made by Digi after 2016, though.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

J!! wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:01 am A nineteenth century French modernist sculptor, but that's not important now.
That would be Rodin... You were schooled in the US, right? :P
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:58 am Who's Rodan?
A member of this forum, Rodan56, who replied in this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=54782#p54782
Rodan56 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 am I'm only repeating what the damn video said, "Don't indulge in Escapism", "Eva's characters being actual characters with development instead of being annoying sad sacks is evidence of something being wrong!", "The happy girl who just wants to keep her spirits up is more evidence of something being horrible", "The movie is giving you what you always wanted and it's horrible! You're horrible for wanting this. See? See! The movie has fooled you all! It's giving you the finger and fooling you!" Yeah, fuck that. Sorry, you can't blame me for how the guy who made the video presented his argument.
Gruntagen wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:51 am
Dude, wrong interpretation. It’s not about saying “escapism is wrong, resign yourself to an Apollonian existence”, it’s about saying “don’t close yourself off to the rest of the world by reliving fantasies or happy memories in your mind, there’s so much more that you can do.”

That to live is to suffer, but that shouldn’t mean you should suffer alone.
Well, that's what the guy who made the video said, "Escapism bad, reality good." more or less his exact words. If you have a problem with that interpretation take it up with the creator of the video. His entire video sounded like a BS excuse to slip into nihilist cynicism and any other viewpoint meant you were selfish, stupid and shallow. That was what he argued was the message of Eva, not me.

Oh, and as for claiming "I just want a happy ending", buddy, one of my favorite animes is Black Lagoon, which is pretty much one giant "Every character in this is doomed" story. The difference is I want the the characters to get better, despite knowing they won't. I don't care enough about Eva to want anyone to be happy, because they're all horrible people. Shinji is a self-absorbed whiny shit who won't get over himself in favor of saving the lives of others. Meanwhile, everyone forces him to do this shit when he is very clearly not suited for it. Asuka is an asshole. Rei is a blank slate. Misato barely cares. The plot itself is nonsensical and constantly running over itself. I don't care about EVA having a happy ending because I've never cared about Eva to begin with. Now, I finally see a version of it I could like in these movies and apparently the movies are giving me the finger for wanting the series be more like this.

I'll grant EVA as a landmark series which did a lot for the genre. I don't have to like it though because everything I see about makes me less and less interested in really bothering. Now, one guy's interpreation claims that it's a giant anti-escapism screed and that has only turned me more off. At best, before, I saw EVA as a depressing series that was too far up its own ass for me to care about with characters that only served to piss me off because they all sucked. And the more and more I heard about it, the more I knew I'd hate it.

Again, don't blame me for this interpretation. The video I watched literally said "Escapism is wrong, don't do it." I turned it off at that point because I was now sickened by the fact these movies are essentially a longer version of that scene from One More Day where the older fat version of Peter Parker rants about how sad and pathetic people who enjoy escapist fiction are. And this guy was praising them for it. Screw that shit.

At least I still like Shin-Godzilla, that one actually has a decent message.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ninjadeadbeard
Redshirt

Post by ninjadeadbeard »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:10 pm Chuck complains a lot about being confused by the Lore, but the problem is the Lore was never as important as the hardcore fans wanted it to be.
It's funny because even if he understood the lore, it wouldn't matter. It's not very good anyway.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:32 pm
J!! wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:01 am A nineteenth century French modernist sculptor, but that's not important now.
That would be Rodin... You were schooled in the US, right? :P
Thank you Captain Pendantry.