Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:15 am Look at it this way. She would have murdered that prisoner in "Equinox" and also locked Tom up for 30 days for simple defiance, but she does not apply the same to Suder. That's bat-shit insane, to the point you have to wonder if Janeway is bipolar. The show does not care about continuity. At all.
I think that Equinox bit was intended to show her as going too far, and outside of her normal behavior. IMO, she was losing her way at the same time as Captain Ransom was finding his, and Equinox played the two off each other. Kirk's behavior in "Obsession" had Spock and McCoy coming to him together to very officially question whether or not his little space-caboose had gone off the space-rails; only by unforeseen plot developments was he shown to have retroactively been right.

And 30 days for violating a direct order would be pretty mild, as far as I can tell. He attempted to violate the Prime Directive at the same time. In the U.S. military that could get someone six months of confinement.

On the writing of the character overall, though, I agree that she was done inconsistently. I think Mulgrew complained of that herself.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, it is so woven into the general aura of incompetence that went into writing Voyager, you can't ignore this. It's kind of a central tenet of the show. It's why Voyager was such a huge disappointment.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and about the Ocompa being screwed anyway, wasn't part of the point of "Caretaker" that the Ocampa needed to lean to take care of themselves?
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 pm and about the Ocompa being screwed anyway, wasn't part of the point of "Caretaker" that the Ocampa needed to lean to take care of themselves?
Weren't the Ocampa screwed because of their fucked up reproductive cycle that would make it impossible for them to survive as a species? In addition to other factors, they would only give birth once to a single child in their lifetimes. Meaning they would halve their population every generation, making it unlikely they would have actually gotten to the point of being a natural species.

Unless they have artificial wombs to help bulk up the population, the Ocampa are screwed.

I wonder if all the fucked up reproduction issues the Ocampa suffer from are due to Caretaker tinkering that went horribly wrong and that's why they're so unviable as a species.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My headcanon was always how the Caretaker messed up the Ocampa. It's why he stayed.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

SpacePaladin wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 pm and about the Ocompa being screwed anyway, wasn't part of the point of "Caretaker" that the Ocampa needed to lean to take care of themselves?
Weren't the Ocampa screwed because of their fucked up reproductive cycle that would make it impossible for them to survive as a species? In addition to other factors, they would only give birth once to a single child in their lifetimes. Meaning they would halve their population every generation, making it unlikely they would have actually gotten to the point of being a natural species.

Unless they have artificial wombs to help bulk up the population, the Ocampa are screwed.

I wonder if all the fucked up reproduction issues the Ocampa suffer from are due to Caretaker tinkering that went horribly wrong and that's why they're so unviable as a species.
I read that in Beta canon, Ocampa commonly have twins and triplets. also, after Voyager got back, I guess they found another wormhole or something because Starfleet started requiting Ocampa, so, they'd get Federation help too.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:21 pm My headcanon was always how the Caretaker messed up the Ocampa. It's why he stayed.
My headcanon:
Ocampans only have one baby therefore they go extinct.
BUT this Negative space Wedgie makes Ocampans horny again.
NsW visits Ocampa often enough for them to breed.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, perhaps the Caretaker gave them artificial wombs too, to help repair the damage he'd done. That's a pioneering sci-fi concept I see in Baxter's words.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Artabax wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 amNsW visits Ocampa often enough for them to breed.
NsW?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 am
Artabax wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 amNsW visits Ocampa often enough for them to breed.
NsW?
Negative space Wedgie from Parturition made Kes achieve sexual maturity. Maybe there are enough so Ocampans can breed.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.