SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

Post by Steve »

I believe that's his plan. BH is next.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Although the timetable on when that'll be released is anyone's guesswork at this point. These game review videos take an unusually long time to put together and can run longer than expected.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

SabreMau wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 am Although the timetable on when that'll be released is anyone's guesswork at this point. These game review videos take an unusually long time to put together and can run longer than expected.
So much grind.

Having played many MMOs in my day, I can't express how much I appreciate the tedium we're being spared through watching these rather than playing them.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Steve wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 am I believe that's his plan. BH is next.
Can't wait to see Chuck verbally eviscerate Skadge.

I love this series so far, I've always enjoyed lightside Warrior ( my first SWTOR character, I was a giant cyborg, had so much fun Vadering at people) and wish they'd put out some decent content again to tempt me back into the game.

Keep up the good work, Chuck!
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I dunno, if he plays a Dark Side Bounty Hunter then Skadge makes perfect sense.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:28 amSo much grind.

Having played many MMOs in my day, I can't express how much I appreciate the tedium we're being spared through watching these rather than playing them.
I'm imagining him working through FFXIV. Yeah there's a bunch of really cool parts and fantasy and sci-fi and etc, but then there's the 2.x MSQ. 101 quests before you can start Heavensward.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Yeah, the timesink's pretty big for FFXIV, even if it's brilliant as of 2.0. And he might not like being on rails.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Steve wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:43 pm Yeah, the timesink's pretty big for FFXIV, even if it's brilliant as of 2.0. And he might not like being on rails.
Well, it does have that in common with SWTOR, kinda. Both games have a ton of do-whenever-you-feel-like-it side content, but they both still have a single linear progression main story that wouldn't be too out of place in a single player game. The biggest difference is that FFXIV weaves group content into the main scenario storyline.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

I'd argue that TOR does give more freedom in the early class stories, but is increasingly on rails through the expansion material. The decisions you make can have an effect on your class story, even it's outcome. Does the Jedi Knight spare Lord Praven on Tatooine and convert him to a Jedi, or spare Bengel Morr? Or do they even let Bengel go and agree to become his disciple in the cause of killing the Sith? Does the Imperial Agent play along with Jadus in order to catch him, or kill that Jedi General (Kothe IIRC?) at the Shadow Arsenal on Quesh? Sometimes these differences are only cosmetic, but they can have an actual effect upon the ending of your class story (a Dark Side Jedi Knight is denied being made a Master, for instance, but instead becomes a Republic-appointed General, while Light Side becomes a Master).

In FFXIV, you get only a few bits where you can give different answers in small things like your character's motivations, whether they're more in it for the cause or mercenaries looking for wealth or adventurers for fame. Or picking between a humorous response or a serious one or even none at all. Even the cosmetic differences are almost non-existent. Choice of class can sometimes influence dialogue in specific places (like finishing the Dragoon story before doing the 2.4 and 2.5 content changes a little bit of dialogue involving Estinien in his appearances, or later in Heavensward sees your character acknowledged as the second Azure Dragoon).

SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

I remember a couple instances in the Warrior where sparing an NPC instead of killing them means they show up later on, but still in primarily a cosmetic difference. They're there and they say a few words but it doesn't materially affect much outside of the cutscene. It's definitely much more than FFXIV gives in terms of affecting outcome, but still not too much. As far as I know they don't really branch off into anything like, you make this choice, now you have access to this entire other area and missions you wouldn't have had if you'd made the other choice. Unless there's some particular mission I missed where choices do affect things outside of dialogue, I think it's varying degrees of cosmetic.