The Nexus in ST Generations.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: The Nexus in ST Generations.

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:42 am
Beastro wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm Lucid dreaming has mostly been circumstantial for me. I did those audio tracks when I was 16 and it worked, but never really kept up with the practice.

And yeah, I get the dichotomy of being immersed in something on TV versus being taken out of it and finding it boring. That is just a non-existent thing with dreams though. It's usually a practice to not wake up even after you find out it's a dream because you can wake up from excitement or fear or something.
For Lucid Dreams I'm in a first person perspective knowing I'm "in" the dream and can control myself often running up against whatever the dream is about. The best example of that one where I was standing on the driveway of my childhood home and was been chewed out by a police officer as my mom and aunt stood by. I got tired of the dream demanding me to sit there and take that bored out of my mind, so I made a hand gun appear in my right hand and killed the cop, to which my mom and aunt reacted freaking out saying I'd murdered someone as I kept trying to convince them it was just a dream.
I've only had that kind of directive once, but it was much more acute. A nuclear blast went off in the distance, but I was just fed up and tired of that -- that kind of nightmare I guess -- and I made the bright flash revert in on itself as soon as it took to light up but just in reverse. I think I woke up pretty soon after, but knew at that moment that I was controlling a dream. It was prolific in the sense that I just defeated a nightmare.
Interesting. I rarely get nightmares or bad dreams in general. In the past ten years I can only recall one bad dream I've had (And I remember a ton of my dreams, even if I can't bring them to mind right now I'll often have one come to mind that I'd had years or even decades ago) which was the only "dream within a dream" dream I've ever had that was more frustrating and disconcerting than anything.

The last full on nightmare I had was interesting because it was non-visual and was just sound and feel as my vision was black. Was back in 2006 when I had a really hard time and had read the novel Red Phoenix about a Second Korean War done in the middle of winter. After reading the bit about the defence of the Han River bridge as they fought to set up the charges and demo it, I went to sleep and spent the night stuck in a freezing foxhole with artillery falling around me as trees were snapping and shattering landing pieces of debris around.

It was the worst thing I'd ever dreamed and the closest thing to actual combat I ever want to live through, though I am amazed at the ability of the rest of me to use "our" imagination to create such an intense, realistic experience of something I've never personally faced before in my life.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 am As slow as it is, The Motion Picture is much, much better than Generations.
The TV movie feel is too strong in it. It's the same reason I can't like The Undiscovered Country. It doesn't feel like a feature film to me, but something they did on TV like a typical movie from an older cancelled series that was so common in the 80s and 90s.
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Generations is a mediocre movie because it tried to do too much. You had Kirk and Klingons and Soren and Data being emo and all that crap. And then you spent all that time because Stellar Cartography looks pretty. In the end nothing really happens that means anything until the halfway point. And then let's blow up the D just cuz we need a new movie ship. Oh, and let's kill Picard's family offscreen because we need the screentime for Data to cuss and stuff.

Picard's time in the Nexus and meeting with Kirk is still quite nice. Soren and the Duras sisters were just not very good antagonists and are an excuse to get Picard to meet Kirk. There should have been more focus on the former and less so on the later. They could have just made it much simpler like that. Cut out the useless crap about shield modulation and crap and have the Nexus damage the Enterprise while the Duras Sisters try to take advantage or something while they are weak. It certainly would have made more sense than losing the D because someone left a postit with the shield frequency on the wall. All that contrived plotting and even the Enterprise-B stuff needs little more than a passing mention.

If they had trimmed all that useless fat, we might have had a decent movie.