What is Captain Janeway's biggest mistake?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What is Captain Janeway's biggest mistake?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I don't think Captain Janeway made any mistakes.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You damned sarcastic brat...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:41 am I don't think Captain Janeway made any mistakes.
It was all intentional.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Robovski wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:41 am I don't think Captain Janeway made any mistakes.
It was all intentional.
lol
Power laces... alright.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Robovski wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 am
It was all intentional.
:lol:
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Not erasing that damned Irish village.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:19 am Not erasing that damned Irish village.
That was intentional too. Janeway upheld PD every single time. Genocide is not a Person with good Intentions making a mistake. Genocide is a True Believer deliberately and efficiently applying PD.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

I haven’t read the last three pages, but, regarding protecting the Ocampa from the Kazon, that was *not* an internal matter, that was an aggressive external and most importantly, *warp-capable* species. An internal matter that they can’t involve themselves in is the Klingon civil war. The Cardassian revolution. The infighting between the Kazon themselves.

Janeway stopped a *warp capable* species from assaulting a (let’s call them) primitive species, using equipment left by another, warp-capable species, after being forced to break the prime directive BY said second species. *She* didn’t break it, the Caretaker did that in a way that was beyond her power to stop.

You may as well say that Harry broke the prime directive when he got sucked up by those people who toss their dead into an asteroid; there was no possibility *not* to.

There’s several examples AFTER Caretaker which are, shall we say *dubious*, with regards to the Prime Directive, but the events of Caretaker are not one of them.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, we know even if the Cardassians had initially invaded, that the Bajorans were aware of other races, and they also initially welcomed the invasion. At least according to what might be revisionist historians. Possibly. I mean, in our own world, some slave owners thought they were doing a good thing, giving a job to the "heathens." Or that to invade another country is helping them, because we have better technology to give to you! Or, like in the case two decades ago, that because being crushed under Saddam's boot heel is bad, we will invade and remove him. In this case, the Ocampa knew about other species thanks to the Caretaker. And there was no signs that the Ocampa would welcome the invasion of the Kazon.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

Janeway's most egregious mistake was rendering aid to the Borg.