DIS - New Eden

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: DIS - New Eden

Post by FaxModem1 »

I don't think Pike was being disdainful of the Federation, far from it, as he was actually regretful that he wasn't one of the captains who defended it in the Klingon war. It was more polite respect and understanding of who and what they were. He was being tolerant and accepting of how they had seemed to have lived in peace, despite their initial differences, for about 250 years. It's called being diplomatic, something every Starfleet captain should be when they're in such situations.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 pm
So was 11,000 a constant figure or did they have to build up to that?
Cortez's expedition reads like bad fanfic.

"You wash up on a strange land and magically find a couple of guys who speak the local language, your language, and hate the locals for enslaving them."

"The natives initially mistake you for gods because of a prophecy you superficially resemble."

"You burn your ships so your men can't leave and they find this a dramatic inspiring gesture than something to gut you for."

"You are adopted by the King who protects you from the wrath of the locals until you can take him prisoner and hold him hostage."

"You find an army ready and willing to join you in overthrowing the largest in the world at the time."

"Disease you are immune to leaves everyone weak enough you can take it over."

God may have not been on Cortez's side but the Dungeonmaster was.
As ever there was a forgotten woman behind this famous man, and that was his native lover, Malinche/Dona Marina. A woman reputed to be both highly intelligent and charismatic who Cortez taught Spanish to thus becoming not only his mouthpiece but his guide to their culture and traditions allowing him to better manipulate them. Also, as ever, the Spanish and Mexicans later tried to diminish her involvement as merely a mistress out of sexism to the point that she now carries the nickname "La Chingada" which translates to English as "The Fucked One".
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pm And look where they're at today. Makes ya think.
Many of them would still be here if the ''One True God'' people never tried to exterminate them. The Conquistadors ring a bell?

That makes me think too... namely how much much blood has been spilled for the grace of an all-loving god.
No, a couple of them might be around maybe. Why are you defending the Inca and the Aztecs, two god-king empires that literally performed human sacrifice?
They sacrificed people, the white man enslaved them and worked them to death like animals. Are we really any better?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:54 am
Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pm And look where they're at today. Makes ya think.
Many of them would still be here if the ''One True God'' people never tried to exterminate them. The Conquistadors ring a bell?

That makes me think too... namely how much much blood has been spilled for the grace of an all-loving god.
No, a couple of them might be around maybe. Why are you defending the Inca and the Aztecs, two god-king empires that literally performed human sacrifice?
They sacrificed people, the white man enslaved them and worked them to death like animals. Are we really any better?
The Aztecs I'd argue were magnitudes worse than the Incans. The Spanish were at their worst in their history.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

There’s a reason that other nations under the Aztec Empire aided the Conquistadors in deposing Montezuma.

But as with most empires, the Spanish promptly enslaved and systematized racist policies against them.

Beats what the US gave tribes that joined against the Iroquois/British I suppose?
SYLOH
Redshirt

Post by SYLOH »

Oh man, religious syncretism is one heck of a rabbit hole to go down.
Simply put, throughout history, there have been many many examples of religions just combining to form a new one.
One of the more smooth integrations would probably be Chinese Taoism and the Chinese Branch of Buddhism.
Look at something like "The Journey To The West", it has the Gods of the Taoist pantheon interacting with Buddha and his various Bodhisattva. In fact a lot of Chinese Mythology is like that. The two religions don't say "Your Gods are fake and mine are real", it's more "Your Gods are real, your Gods are great, mine are just better". Sorta like Apple and Android fan boys, neither deny the other product doesn't exist, they just have deeply entrenched beliefs that their team is superior. In fact looking at Journey To The West, it's pretty clear that the deities of both pantheons are not in direct conflict, they're just both residents of higher spheres of existence.

Or you can get something like Romans, who's approach was "Your God is actually the same as my God, he just took on different guises to appear to both of us, also neither of us has all the stories, let's swap!".
And when the Gods didn't really fit, they just made it fit.
That's how Roman came to write down something to the effect of "The peoples of Germania chiefly worship Mercury, the Germanic word for Mercury is 'Odin'."

That being said, the Abrahamic religions tend not to play nice with others. Usually the approach was "you Gods are fake, but just keep doing what your doing and pencil in 'Jesus' wherever you would otherwise put a God". That's how we wound up taking in a pine tree and kissing under mistletoe to celebrate Jesus's birthday despite those things having exactly nothing to do with Jesus.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CmdrKing wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:22 pm There’s a reason that other nations under the Aztec Empire aided the Conquistadors in deposing Montezuma.

But as with most empires, the Spanish promptly enslaved and systematized racist policies against them.

Beats what the US gave tribes that joined against the Iroquois/British I suppose?
Limited self-rule, citizenship, sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health? I may be confusing some of that with the Romans, though.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm
CmdrKing wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:22 pm There’s a reason that other nations under the Aztec Empire aided the Conquistadors in deposing Montezuma.

Limited self-rule, citizenship, sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health? I may be confusing some of that with the Romans, though.
The Romans never gave the Jews polio or small pox. That's a pretty big point for the Iroquois Liberation Front of New Hampshire.

In the History of the World Part 2, the scene should be the Natives shaking hands with the Europeans before taking out some hand sanitizer.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm

The Romans never gave the Jews polio or small pox. That's a pretty big point for the Iroquois Liberation Front of New Hampshire.

In the History of the World Part 2, the scene should be the Natives shaking hands with the Europeans before taking out some hand sanitizer.
Didn't that happen before the U.S. was a thing? Or was time travel involved?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Probably referring to that time Natives were given blankets that were covered with smallpox.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR