Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Oh sh#% I remember something!

So there's an episode of Voyager where the aliens have some sort of bridging of body tissue over their mouths. Chuck calls is nonsensical because traits tend to have a purpose suggested in principles of adaptation in the theory of Evolution. Just that, when I was watching the review, my first thought was that I didn't feel confident in saying that evolution couldn't produce it. As obstructive as something in definitely blocking your consumption line, I just tend to assume there's an environment that prompted it for some reason.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Admiral X wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:53 pm I'd say his problem had to do with how they basically made what he was doing a lot more complicated. IIRC, the imposters show up just as he was about to get the jump on Scarecrow and his mooks and effectively ruined whatever he had planned there, an ended up getting him hurt in the process from what I remember.
Personally I don't see the situation as complicated. I mean I think as the audience we aren't given any indication that this is any different because of the imposters, as far as B Man is concerned.

Before I said that I don't think it's an issue of competency, but taking his line about hockey pads, I think you have to consider it a bit. Problem is, I just don't see Batman caring about if they get themselves into harm's way.
..What mirror universe?
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:29 am Oh sh#% I remember something!

So there's an episode of Voyager where the aliens have some sort of bridging of body tissue over their mouths. Chuck calls is nonsensical because traits tend to have a purpose suggested in principles of adaptation in the theory of Evolution. Just that, when I was watching the review, my first thought was that I didn't feel confident in saying that evolution couldn't produce it. As obstructive as something in definitely blocking your consumption line, I just tend to assume there's an environment that prompted it for some reason.
I guess another possibility is that it's some sort of ritualistic body modification. Like we have people here that point their ears, slit their tongues, make giant holes in their earlobes, like those, just much more extreme.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Zatman wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:19 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:29 am Oh sh#% I remember something!

I guess another possibility is that it's some sort of ritualistic body modification. Like we have people here that point their ears, slit their tongues, make giant holes in their earlobes, like those, just much more extreme.
haha funny name. I get it.

Anyways that's a totally valid proposal of an interpretation, and Hawkins razor would probably go to you instead of me. Still though with Trek I just personally believe that they meant for us to take it as a natural thing.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

One area I disagree. Chuck says games shouldn't be to the death in "Move Along Home?" While he is fully right to criticize how boring the games are, or paper-thin, the game being lethal is logical. Alien culture and all that. Like how Mayan games ended in the loser being sacrificed.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

I think the objection was more that death games are such an overdone cliche.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

True enough, but it could've been clarified better.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I disagree with what he said in "Shadowplay." Not necessarily the score, mind. But how he discussed the holograms and whether they could be sentient. This is probably why Voyager fans accuse him of being biased, since there is literally no difference between "Fair Haven" in what the Doctor said out of emotional sentimentalism, or what Odo says here for the same reason, that even Chuck himself admits was splitting hairs. Now granted, I think if he'd meant that because they've been active and running for so long, then like the Doctor, they could have spawned self-awareness. And while that's in the same spirit of his argument, it's not what he ultimately said. It's like in B5 where that spy dude said to Londo that if "you can never mean what you say you can never say what you mean."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's a major area I disagree with him. He said in his review of "Indiscretion" that Dukat is merely bad, not evil. Then he later goes on to talk about how in "Things Past" that Dukat probably had forced himself on women before. Maybe it's just me, but I'd consider a guy like that, to be evil, period. And this is not me harping on another round of "Chuck loves rape" either like he had said people sometimes do in his review of "The Jem'Hadar," and given what he had said in his review of "Prototype," I feel it to be especially true. No, it just feels a bit inconsistent, tbh. And I know that no human being alive will be consistent, but it does feel as if maybe he'd gone through some sort of change between the "Indiscretion" and "Things Past" review. I mean, for all his flaws, I don't think Dukat ever forced himself on women. He'd sooner play mind games and trick them, which I think the episode with Kira's mom proves. That's technically rape-y, but not really. That's actually downright decent compared to the hellish system he oversaw.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Seriously disagree with Chuck in "Superman VS the Elite." I think it's reached the point Batman should kill the Joker. Of course, it doesn't help that he never dies in the comic because he's "too popular." Logically, he would be executed at some point.