Upcoming Review: Gravity Falls - Season 1

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Re: Upcoming Review: Gravity Falls - Season 1

Post by Chaos Sepher »

I just checked my copy of Journal 3 and the Gremoblin entry really is written that way that the water thing continues into the next page! XD
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabel does have some serious learning episodes too like when she tried to show she was better at business than Uncle Stan, only to find out that being nice doesn't actually cut it at the Mystery Shack and people will walk all over you.
SigilBreaker26
Redshirt

Post by SigilBreaker26 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:14 pm I pretty much lost all respect for their other Grunkle (grandpa?) when he dismissed Mabel on what I presume to be sexist grounds. He only focused on Dipper and tried to get him to even ditch Mabel. Because 12 is the perfect age to assume when a person is going to develop an interest in STEM or not. Apparently, you can pick and choose relatives to encourage the interests of.
This is a gigantic stretch.

I assume we're getting into outright spoiler territory now, which I was trying to avoid so Mr. SFDebris, if you're prowling your forum please don't read the rest of this post.
-
-
-

Ford approaches Dipper because they have a very similar outlook on life. Him and Dipper just have very very similar personalities - they're intelligent and curious but also take themselves a bit too seriously. They even have similar hobbies. If you swapped Mabel and Dipper's personalities Stanford would have had an identical reaction to Mabel instead of Dipper.

Stanford doesn't offer Mabel an apprenticeship in his - for the lack of a better word, mad science - because Mabel never shows any interest in science, even really paranormal science.

At worst you could argue that he takes a dim view of sibling relationships because he senses a parity between how Mabel and Dipper's relationship is and how he saw Stan's relationship to him - he saw Stan as sabotaging his dream uni spot because Stan was intent on keeping them together rather than caring about what Ford wanted to do. So maybe on a subconcious level he sees this as a chance to relive his life. But Mabel actually acts exactly according to his expectations - when push comes to shove and Dipper is considering taking Ford's offer, Mabel tries to have Blendin stop time over all of Gravity Falls just to subvert Dipper's wishes. Sure, she didn't know what she was actually getting into and what havoc it would cause, but the deal she agreed to is completely selfish - and at the end, she gets exactly what she wants.
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

Exactly this! It’s all about the *massive* sibling trust issues because he identifies so strongly with Dipper. He sees Dipper and Mabel as being a direct counterpoint to him and his brother, and thus, thinks Mabel is sure to sabotage Dipper out of selfishness.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I just wish they'd picked a better animation style. The blob with spaghetti arms art style just detracts too much from the story's presentation to make it an enjoyable experience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm I just wish they'd picked a better animation style. The blob with spaghetti arms art style just detracts too much from the story's presentation to make it an enjoyable experience.
It makes the twins so CUTE, though.

You just want to cuddle Mabel like she's cuddling Waddles.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:16 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm I just wish they'd picked a better animation style. The blob with spaghetti arms art style just detracts too much from the story's presentation to make it an enjoyable experience.
It makes the twins so CUTE, though.

You just want to cuddle Mabel like she's cuddling Waddles.
No. On both counts. It makes them look like mutated abominations that need generous applications of the medical flamethrower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfqwHck2Qg
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

I know it's still a kid's show, but I was disappointed with the season one finale's reliance on the idea that physical possession of a deed somehow transfers ownership.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:22 pmokkkkay
Yes, my heart is cold, dead, and flinty. If I was any more heartless and joyless, then I could have written for Season 1 Enterprise.