DIS - Point of Light

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: DIS - Point of Light

Post by Deledrius »

Nightbeat74 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 am just what kinda drugs is the DIS on! :roll: :!: they need a guy :geek: like chuck on the team to read the scripts and watch the test shots say things like less crane cam spinning it is making me dizzy and less space magic this is not star wars this is star trek! more green alien women! or what ever other colour you want :lol:!
Watching The Mandalorian has me jealous of Star Wars fans. We Star Trek folks should be so lucky. ;)
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what Chuck thinks of any given Discovery episode since he doesn't have a post episode follow-up for it. Most of this review seemed quite positive, but the (not entirely unwarranted) harsh comments about the cinematography end the review on a pretty downbeat note.
clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:17 pm My experience of the last few DIS reviews is that either almost no one will respond or most of the thread will be about something else. It seems to me that the general feeling of season 2 even among those that like the show is general apathy - nothing truly offensive to get the trigger juices flowing, nothing truly remarkable to get people going ''cool!''. Its just kind of there.
Do you just mean here on this board or in general? Because Season 2's reaction has been by and large very positive. Point of Light is more of an episode that moves pieces into place and isn't really one of the more interesting episodes of this season, but I'm sure people will have a lot more to say about the next DIS episode, An Obol for Charon, which is not only a pivotal moment for all the major story arcs but will have repercussions even through season three.

Also I think in general a lot of fans of the show just avoid discussions because of the hostility of some parts of the fanbase, which you can see even from several people in this thread like the post immediately preceding this one.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Chaltab wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 am Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what Chuck thinks of any given Discovery episode since he doesn't have a post episode follow-up for it. Most of this review seemed quite positive, but the (not entirely unwarranted) harsh comments about the cinematography end the review on a pretty downbeat note.
I think it's because of the nature of Discovery. It's not a bad show, but it's not very good either, and it ends up often being less than the sum of its parts even when it's doing things better than its admittedly low average. The things he is pointing out tends to really drag at the good bits, so having a pure "I liked this" or "I hated this" is rare. Personally, I actually rather liked most of this episode.
Chaltab wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 am Also I think in general a lot of fans of the show just avoid discussions because of the hostility of some parts of the fanbase, which you can see even from several people in this thread like the post immediately preceding this one.
Hey, thanks for the nice passive-aggressive shoutout. You call that post hostile? Alright. ::shrug::

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
DisgruntleFairy
Redshirt

Post by DisgruntleFairy »

I agree with the whole "new toy" bit but otherwise I thought this was a good episode. They over use it but my complaint is with the scene in the lab with Tilly that he uses to talk about its excess, its actually well used in that scene. It gives the viewer a sense of strangeness that I think helps the scene.
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

tjfd88 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:24 am Just wait till Chuck gets to the spinning conference room scene in one of the upcoming episodes. I don't remember which one it was, but the camera just seems to be going around and around while listening to the various characters talk.
And now I'm even happier with my decision to not subscribe to CBS Access.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Season 2 is much better than season 1. But it also carries all its baggage and leftover plot problems.

Current staff of writers and directors on a clean slate would be fine, but... and unlike other Trek shows where the first seasons are bad because they're not polished and you can just skip them... Discovery's first season was offensively bad and actively off-putting, and the plot directly carries into the second season, and that's hard baggage to bear.

It'd be like if Next Gen the Ferengi showed up 9 times in season 1 and were jumping hamsters the whole time... and then they continued to show up every episode of the next 6 seasons without ever having the species or character turn DS9 graced them with.
LordUltimus
Redshirt

Post by LordUltimus »

DisgruntleFairy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:54 am I agree with the whole "new toy" bit but otherwise I thought this was a good episode. They over use it but my complaint is with the scene in the lab with Tilly that he uses to talk about its excess, its actually well used in that scene. It gives the viewer a sense of strangeness that I think helps the scene.
Yeah, I think the scene with Michael and Amanda walking through the hallway would have been a better example.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I figure they have the camera moving about like that for the same reason TV shows often have characters hold a conversation while walking somewhere at a brisk pace: it gives the illusion of dynamic action, even if all that's happening is just two people exchanging dialogue.
Rynjin
Redshirt

Post by Rynjin »

Fianna wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:44 pm I figure they have the camera moving about like that for the same reason TV shows often have characters hold a conversation while walking somewhere at a brisk pace: it gives the illusion of dynamic action, even if all that's happening is just two people exchanging dialogue.
The main difference is that "walking somewhere at a brisk pace" naturally implies that something is going on that requires the speaker's (and viewer's) attention and is at least somewhat urgent, because it's a thing people do; talk quickly and move fast in tense situations. It at the very minimum conveys "these are busy people with things to do, therefore taking even a slight delay to speak about this subject means it is important" (and makes interrupting that walk often more dramatic because it does the same thing but more emphatically; "it is now important enough to completely command my attention where it did not before").

Maybe we run in different circles but I've never seen someone unconsciously flip upside down when they're dealing with serious issues.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Chaltab wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 am Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what Chuck thinks of any given Discovery episode since he doesn't have a post episode follow-up for it. Most of this review seemed quite positive, but the (not entirely unwarranted) harsh comments about the cinematography end the review on a pretty downbeat note.
clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:17 pm My experience of the last few DIS reviews is that either almost no one will respond or most of the thread will be about something else. It seems to me that the general feeling of season 2 even among those that like the show is general apathy - nothing truly offensive to get the trigger juices flowing, nothing truly remarkable to get people going ''cool!''. Its just kind of there.
Do you just mean here on this board or in general? Because Season 2's reaction has been by and large very positive. Point of Light is more of an episode that moves pieces into place and isn't really one of the more interesting episodes of this season, but I'm sure people will have a lot more to say about the next DIS episode, An Obol for Charon, which is not only a pivotal moment for all the major story arcs but will have repercussions even through season three.

Also I think in general a lot of fans of the show just avoid discussions because of the hostility of some parts of the fanbase, which you can see even from several people in this thread like the post immediately preceding this one.
I would say in general.
When DIS first started, you could not walk through a comment section or message board without seeing everyone talking about it good or bad. And even though I don't watch the show, I can you pretty much the entire plot of season 1 because of it. But season 2 really is a bit quiet. I know there is some plot about an angel in it, Section 31 have gone from ''an organisation so secret no one knew about it'' to ''having their own ships and uniforms recognised by everyone'', the 1701 Enterprise that looks absolutely nothing like it, and Pike. That's kind of it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.