Heaven sent

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Heaven sent

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BunBun299 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:35 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:39 am
Sailor Nimue wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:23 am
Chaltab wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:49 am Like, I dunno, maybe just don't fucking kill off the companions and let them part with the Doctor on good terms? Rose, Martha, and Donna all ended their runs alive, if not entirely whole in Donna's case... there's no reason the Ponds, Clara, and Bill couldn't have just decided that they'd had enough and gone home.
To be fair, the novelization for Capaldi's final episode kinda did that with Bill.

That being said, yeah, we need more normal departures. I wonder if Moffat had all of the departures be like this so that there would be no further "guest appearances" by former companions like there were in Davies' run.
Think about it, Rose, Martha, Donna, the Ponds, Clara, Bill, and 13 companions are all the companions from the new who. So far Martha is the only companion to leave of her own Accord, in almost fifth teen years only one communion left on their own. Maybe two if you count Missy.
For that reason, Martha's is the only departure I actually like, in spite her being my least liked companion. She had enough, she ran out her story arc, and she left.

I liked Clara more than most people apparently did. And I think that a better conclusion for her would have been just marrying Danny and saying goodbye (and I never cared for Danny). Or let her just be dead after the Raven thing last episode.
Because she the only companion that was allow to leave, as oppose to over prolonged like some companions. I do wish if they show so much of the companions lives left them go back to them.
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

That's another thing that bothers me: the Companions mostly had families that are just entirely left in the lurch like the writers just forgot about them--like Rory's dad and Amy's whole family, all of whom met the Doctor either at the wedding or after it. Are they just supposed to accept that the Doctor got their kids trapped in 1930s New York? Did they ever even learn about that? Would they just be missing persons forever with the Ponds and Williams forever worrying about them?

Clara had both a family and was a school teacher. Are they just going to randomly find her dead with no discernible cause at some point? I actually liked Clara (which is apparently unusual?) and would even watch her and Ishildur's adventures in Time and Space if that were a show, but the whole 'Clara is going to end up dead in a ditch at the end of all this' would be a pretty big shadow that she show would need to find a way out of.

And lastly, Bill had her foster mother Moira who seems to have just been forgotten about.

Like, sure Rose had to leave the Doctor's side against her will, but at least Davies didn't just forget that Jackie and Mickey existed, and Donna may have forgotten the Doctor but she got to be with her family.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Chaltab wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 pm That's another thing that bothers me: the Companions mostly had families that are just entirely left in the lurch like the writers just forgot about them--like Rory's dad and Amy's whole family, all of whom met the Doctor either at the wedding or after it. Are they just supposed to accept that the Doctor got their kids trapped in 1930s New York? Did they ever even learn about that? Would they just be missing persons forever with the Ponds and Williams forever worrying about them?

Clara had both a family and was a school teacher. Are they just going to randomly find her dead with no discernible cause at some point? I actually liked Clara (which is apparently unusual?) and would even watch her and Ishildur's adventures in Time and Space if that were a show, but the whole 'Clara is going to end up dead in a ditch at the end of all this' would be a pretty big shadow that she show would need to find a way out of.

And lastly, Bill had her foster mother Moira who seems to have just been forgotten about.

Like, sure Rose had to leave the Doctor's side against her will, but at least Davies didn't just forget that Jackie and Mickey existed, and Donna may have forgotten the Doctor but she got to be with her family.
I think Clara over stay her welcome and people found her more more annoying with time. Yeah, I gope the new guy is better.
LordUltimus
Redshirt

Post by LordUltimus »

Honestly, the most interested I ever got into Clara was when she held the TARDIS hostage to force the Doctor to save her dead boyfriend. The idea of a companion becoming a villain, however briefly, is actually kind of compelling.

The irony is that given the "it's not good for immortals to travel with other immortals" thing, Clara and Me will probably end up villains anyways.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Chaltab wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 pm That's another thing that bothers me: the Companions mostly had families that are just entirely left in the lurch like the writers just forgot about them--like Rory's dad and Amy's whole family, all of whom met the Doctor either at the wedding or after it. Are they just supposed to accept that the Doctor got their kids trapped in 1930s New York? Did they ever even learn about that? Would they just be missing persons forever with the Ponds and Williams forever worrying about them?

As far as the Ponds go, there was a little video released, mostly just simple drawings with Rory providing voice, where Amy and Rory's adopted son delivers a letter to Rory's father, explaining what happened. So Rory's dad at least got a little closure. And he got to meet his older than himself grandson.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

BunBun299 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:05 am

As far as the Ponds go, there was a little video released, mostly just simple drawings with Rory providing voice, where Amy and Rory's adopted son delivers a letter to Rory's father, explaining what happened. So Rory's dad at least got a little closure. And he got to meet his older than himself grandson.
Yeah, that was SUPPOSED to be in the episode but it was apparently cut due to scheduling conflicts with Mark Williams (Roy's dad, Brian). The drawings were the scrapped scene's storyboards.

youtu.be/XWU6XL9xI4k
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

That would had been interesting to see. We don't often get that in Dr. Who. I can only think Donna's parents having had chance to react to what happened to they daughter but then again they also got her back.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

If we're talking relatives, I want to see what happened with Peri's relatives back in Classic Who.

"Sorry, she either got brain raped by a slug or married Brian Blessed. I didn't really do a follow up on that. Still, you're better off than Tegan's Auntie, eh?"
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

The next episode of Dr. Who will be both confusing and stupid for how a beautiful culture that can rival the Vulcans be stripped of their own values from nothing but British pride and breaking fundamental cosmic laws that THEY put themselves to govern and protec from lesser or dangerous races. Late 80 and New 10's Dr. Who is just bad to the world-building and the actors acknowledge that the show is better off to be at peace. The current Director needs to let go and release the classic series on the air so the fans can accept that Dr. Who is dead and should be memorialized for all it wonders and teachings it done for people.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

King Green wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:39 pm The next episode of Dr. Who will be both confusing and stupid for how a beautiful culture that can rival the Vulcans be stripped of their own values from nothing but British pride and breaking fundamental cosmic laws that THEY put themselves to govern and protec from lesser or dangerous races. Late 80 and New 10's Dr. Who is just bad to the world-building and the actors acknowledge that the show is better off to be at peace. The current Director needs to let go and release the classic series on the air so the fans can accept that Dr. Who is dead and should be memorialized for all it wonders and teachings it done for people.
Have you never hear of the phrase, 'Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"?