Kannazuki no Miko 12

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
King of the owls
Officer

Re: Kannazuki no Miko 12

Post by King of the owls »

I guess some people just want to see Chuck lose his mind over anime.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:Actually the idea that lovers reincarnate as twins is a long established part of Japanese belief.
Scientists work around the clock to figure out what is the deal with Japan!
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Similar mystical theories about Twins pop up in a number mythologies.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Edvarius wrote:He's what?!

Please tell me you didn't force him to watch every single episode. Please tell me he can dump a whole lotta episodes into one video and not have to do an individual review for each one.

(Also, there are 193 episodes if you include Final Act. Plus 4 movies. There are also some video games, with at least two of them being JRPGs. If you're curious I actually did my own dive through the series here, though it's in text rather than video. For a TL:DR on it, here's the final thoughts post.)
Thanks for the TL:DR. Let it suffice to say that I think you went too easy on Inuyasha.
Omnicrom
Redshirt

Post by Omnicrom »

fundefined wrote:Oh god, he's doing Inuyasha? Fucking why? At best, Inuyasha is interesting for its impact on other anime and manga and its take on Japanese mythology. Chuck is exactly the wrong kind of reviewer for it.
Seconding this to a certain degree.

Inuyasha is not a series that lends itself well to individual episode reviews because there's so much of it and so much of it really isn't that important. There are quite a lot of episode where basically nothing happens, and even more where the stuff that matters is two minutes out of twenty-four. The stuff that's really worthy of discussion is stretched pretty thin through the original run, and then ultra condensed in The Final Act because we have 300 chapters to get through in 26 episodes and pacing is for the weak.

Basically Inuyasha is not a show that lends itself to making individual videos for ever episode, or even videos for every three or four episodes. I mean, you could do it, but at the end of the day you'd put out more content on Inuyasha than there actually was content.

As for the series itself I always treated it like Junk food. It had problems, real serious, obvious, bone-headed problems, but mostly I watched it because nearly every episode had some amount of acceptably dumb fun. Inuyasha is a show with a number of very bad characters, a complete wash on its setting, and a lot of aspects that were profoundly unexplored, but it rarely failed to entertain.

If anyone is interested in a series that's roughly "Inuyasha but good" go track down the manga Sengoku Youko which is a hilariously superior series. That comic is legitimately great and deserves more attention.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

NO YOu'RE DRUNK!!!
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

King of the owls wrote:I guess some people just want to see Chuck lose his mind over anime.
I certainly do (which is why I regret not being able to afford buying FLCL while requests were open), but this is something else entirely. While Chuck is usually quite entertaining when he rants about something, this stopped interesting me somewhere around episode three. After a while, it just becomes tiresome - and I don't mean that as a criticism of Chuck; if anything, I credit his professionalism for finishing out the series as requested.

It's just that it's hard to keep making the same criticisms over and over again for twelve episodes; after a while, you necessarily run out of material (insert Inuyasha joke).
TV-366
Redshirt

Post by TV-366 »

Thanks for sticking through this series to the bitter end, SFDebris! It sounds like a nightmare to watch, but your reviews of it were immensely entertaining to me. One particular minute of this latest review (the "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"/"Let me be your handkerchief"/"as galaxies whirl into existence and then dissolve" section) had me laughing almost as hard as your slightly disbelieving "I'm sorry, I meant hand to boob resuscitation." line from the first episode. So hopefully you can take comfort in knowing that your suffering through the show was not in vain.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

With Anime I think people forget you can just request individual episodes and doesn't need to be the whole series. Madoka is something you couldn't cover without the full picture, but Inyuashi like Sailor Moon or DBZ if something we should only request key episodes or mini arcs.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is something I'd like to see Chuck cover the first episode of. But I can tell the rest would make him miserable.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

fundefined wrote:Oh god, he's doing Inuyasha? Fucking why? At best, Inuyasha is interesting for its impact on other anime and manga and its take on Japanese mythology. Chuck is exactly the wrong kind of reviewer for it.
I know nothing about Inuyasha except secondhand accounts from other reviewers and just ... oh boy. And we thought Full Moon was going to take forever ... 193 episodes? Well, it's going to take literally forever to get through that, because it's going to have to trade off with other things like Full Moon and Escaflowne do and those are not NEARLY as long. I really hope we're misunderstanding here and it's not all of the series because that would have been thousands of dollars in request money.