DIS: Light and Shadows

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Ikiry0
Officer

Re: DIS: Light and Shadows

Post by Ikiry0 »

"Now Micheal, the best thing for your brother is to hand him over to the terrorist group."

I am so sick of writers forgetting that Section 31 isn't actually a proper Starfleet group.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

lol on the part with getting a timelord to help with Sarek and Amanda's situation good luck there ones in jail probably having an identity crisis and the other is probably running around with the Cybermen (and lost what little sanity he had left).
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:05 pmThere is managing, then there is ''Spock in Star Trek 4 being able to take three massively difficult tests simultaneously without a single mistake''. I just don't buy it.
Shoot, I'd completely forgotten about that scene. But that just means I can't bash the writers too much for that. Everybody else is more than welcome to, in my stead.

On another subject, we're looking at some kind of malicious AI/sentient machine that hijacked and repurposed human tech for its own ends. Is there any chance this plot could end up referencing V'Ger from The Motion Picture? It's always nagged at me that apparently none of the other TV or movie writers ever wanted to dip into the mystery of who or what turned the Voyager probe into... whatever it was in that movie.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Ikiry0 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:40 am "Now Micheal, the best thing for your brother is to hand him over to the terrorist group."

I am so sick of writers forgetting that Section 31 isn't actually a proper Starfleet group.
Not only that, but it's just bad logic. Bad enough for a human, but boneheaded for a Vulcan.

The claim "They want the information he has, therefore they must save him" is easily countered with "If they only want the information, they won't care about the methods used to extract it". It's clear that, even for people operating under the delusion that S31 is a legitimate organization, they function entirely with ends-justifies-the-means thinking. That's never going to work out well for the individual in the way of something they need.

Everyone in this episode's Spock plot is an idiot.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah, I wish they didn't make her Spock sister I know that not true. Don't act like it is.
Poipoi
Redshirt

Post by Poipoi »

I'm less bothered by the idea of Spock having a sister of sorts. It does feel more like we're watching fanfiction, then expanded lore. I have read better-handled fanfiction.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Poipoi wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 pm I'm less bothered by the idea of Spock having a sister of sorts. It does feel more like we're watching fanfiction, then expanded lore. I have read better-handled fanfiction.
Spock's secret sister is one of the oldest fanfic plots in Star Trek fandom, to the point that it has not just been mocked to death but fallen all the way down to groans of despair whenever it pops up in fanfic. To see such an old and hoary fanfic idea hauled out for actual canon makes me think that not only were the writers seemingly ignorant of Star Trek fandom, they obviously thought they were a lot smarter and more original than they actually are. I cannot get excited over concepts that I used to write myself when I was an angsty little teenager. Even the whole S31 and (and in Picard the Romulan gibberish agency) was stuff I wrote when I left the overwrought wangsty self insert melodrama phase and moved into the edgy grimdark phase of my teens. We deserve better than my old fanfic.
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 pmSpock's secret sister is one of the oldest fanfic plots in Star Trek fandom, to the point that it has not just been mocked to death but fallen all the way down to groans of despair whenever it pops up in fanfic. To see such an old and hoary fanfic idea hauled out for actual canon makes me think that not only were the writers seemingly ignorant of Star Trek fandom, they obviously thought they were a lot smarter and more original than they actually are.
That's a special level of ignorance they've achieved in this case. I'm not a writer, nor into fanfic, but even I know the term "Mary Sue" started with a Star Trek story mocking characters who seem created specifically to upstage the established ones.

These professional - and presumably educated - writers unintentionally created the kind of character being lambasted by an amateur Trek writer nearly fifty years ago. I want to find out where these people picked up their alleged skills, so I can tell any aspiring writing students I have to never, ever go there.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Taurian Patriot wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:50 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 pmSpock's secret sister is one of the oldest fanfic plots in Star Trek fandom, to the point that it has not just been mocked to death but fallen all the way down to groans of despair whenever it pops up in fanfic. To see such an old and hoary fanfic idea hauled out for actual canon makes me think that not only were the writers seemingly ignorant of Star Trek fandom, they obviously thought they were a lot smarter and more original than they actually are.
That's a special level of ignorance they've achieved in this case. I'm not a writer, nor into fanfic, but even I know the term "Mary Sue" started with a Star Trek story mocking characters who seem created specifically to upstage the established ones.

These professional - and presumably educated - writers unintentionally created the kind of character being lambasted by an amateur Trek writer nearly fifty years ago. I want to find out where these people picked up their alleged skills, so I can tell any aspiring writing students I have to never, ever go there.
I'd avoid the use of the term Mary Sue, as it has a lot of other baggage tied to it which tends to end up diverting the argument onto unhelpful tangents, but you've got the general thrust of it.

I find it staggering that they couldn't know that Spock's secret sister was one of the oldest fanfic plots out there, and most mocked, the only thing about it that makes sense is if they were deliberately trying to provoke fan-criticism under a no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity ploy.
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

Has Discovery ever mentioned Spock's OTHER secret sibling? Like, Micheal and Sybok have to have known each other.