Futurama - Where No Fan Has Gone Before

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: Futurama - Where No Fan Has Gone Before

Post by Nealithi »

This was one of my favourites. Fry isn't dumb for the sake of being dumb. He doesn't know because his cryo-sleep skipped past the details. And in the end his awe at things inspires those around him. Like the second episode where they went to the moon and no one cared. Not till he explained how unattainable it and the universe was in his time.
So to do I feel for him when he says. "Back when I didn't have any friends. Star Trek made me feel like I. . did." Is so fitting. And the first two times I saw this episode I lost a scene because I laughed so hard at Jonathan Frakes.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nealithi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:28 pm This was one of my favourites. Fry isn't dumb for the sake of being dumb. He doesn't know because his cryo-sleep skipped past the details. And in the end his awe at things inspires those around him. Like the second episode where they went to the moon and no one cared. Not till he explained how unattainable it and the universe was in his time.
So to do I feel for him when he says. "Back when I didn't have any friends. Star Trek made me feel like I. . did." Is so fitting. And the first two times I saw this episode I lost a scene because I laughed so hard at Jonathan Frakes.
This is something that ''certain people'' on this forum don't get when talking about STD and PIC. The hopeful future of Star Trek meant a lot to us - including I might add, Martin Luther King. And now its gone.

Ah, well, like CrypticMirror says. Hopefully the world getting bleaker might mean we end up with brighter stories again.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Blaze Rocker
Redshirt

Post by Blaze Rocker »

Whoever requested this...

An excellent choice. Thank you. :)
I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.
prof_membrane
Redshirt

Post by prof_membrane »

I teared up at the end. Thank you, Chuck.

PS: Obsession. Heh
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 pm
Nealithi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:28 pm This was one of my favourites. Fry isn't dumb for the sake of being dumb. He doesn't know because his cryo-sleep skipped past the details. And in the end his awe at things inspires those around him. Like the second episode where they went to the moon and no one cared. Not till he explained how unattainable it and the universe was in his time.
This is something that ''certain people'' on this forum don't get when talking about STD and PIC. The hopeful future of Star Trek meant a lot to us - including I might add, Martin Luther King. And now its gone.

Ah, well, like CrypticMirror says. Hopefully the world getting bleaker might mean we end up with brighter stories again.
I certainly find little joy in DSC, and the first half of Picard seemed to follow suit. The back half though, after Seven's little Murder One, that did seem to get it. That is why I describe Picard as the longest pilot that Trek ever did. It really was more a two-three episode pilot only stretched to a full season. I can understand them starting Picard in the doldrums, but I just think they spent too long wallowing in them before getting on with it. The final two episodes were actually pretty good Trek and almost (not quite, but close) felt like classic TNG. It just took too long to get there. And Raffi's "pension and benefits" line needs to be retconned as her being high or something, that was lazy writing without a shred of imagination beyond modern America, but by the end of the show she felt more like a Trek character.

Star Trek Picard? Nice pilot, when do we get the rest of the show? I hope it is more Elnor centric and just him, Picard, and the crew being space-musketeers swashbuckling around the galaxy with a new planet every week. That really is the show I want to see, and it is almost like that is what the last couple of episodes were.

Fry's sentiment is one that struck the chord with me though. Star Trek was the family that seemed to have it together when my own was falling apart; and Doctor Who provided me with a dad who could still go out on adventures when my own was dying of cancer and could no longer go camping with me.

The current state of both shows is why they really no longer work for me. You can't go home again, I guess.
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

"Certain people" huh... Sounds an awful lot like "Those Fans"

You know the ones. The ones you're better than.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Futurama smartly parodies and satirizes a lot of sci-fi shows and movies due to how the the 2nd season writers "just winged it" and made clever accurate nods at certain shows like ST: tos.
The ending of season 4,5 and 9 left me unfilled. They could have done more to deconstruct Bablyon 5 and ABC news.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 pm This is something that ''certain people'' on this forum don't get when talking about STD and PIC. The hopeful future of Star Trek meant a lot to us - including I might add, Martin Luther King. And now its gone.
And I thought you couldn't get anymore hypocritical and arrogant than you already had you just had to go and write that sentence and prove me wrong. Maybe I should give you benefit of doubt but I can't help to think that you pretty much said "this is how I prefer Star Trek and anyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong for not agreeing with me".
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:45 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 pm

I certainly find little joy in DSC, and the first half of Picard seemed to follow suit. The back half though, after Seven's little Murder One, that did seem to get it. That is why I describe Picard as the longest pilot that Trek ever did. It really was more a two-three episode pilot only stretched to a full season. I can understand them starting Picard in the doldrums, but I just think they spent too long wallowing in them before getting on with it. The final two episodes were actually pretty good Trek and almost (not quite, but close) felt like classic TNG. It just took too long to get there. And Raffi's "pension and benefits" line needs to be retconned as her being high or something, that was lazy writing without a shred of imagination beyond modern America, but by the end of the show she felt more like a Trek character.

Star Trek Picard? Nice pilot, when do we get the rest of the show? I hope it is more Elnor centric and just him, Picard, and the crew being space-musketeers swashbuckling around the galaxy with a new planet every week. That really is the show I want to see, and it is almost like that is what the last couple of episodes were.

Fry's sentiment is one that struck the chord with me though. Star Trek was the family that seemed to have it together when my own was falling apart; and Doctor Who provided me with a dad who could still go out on adventures when my own was dying of cancer and could no longer go camping with me.

The current state of both shows is why they really no longer work for me. You can't go home again, I guess.
There no place like home.
tjfd88
Redshirt

Post by tjfd88 »

MerelyAFan wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:29 pm https://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/futurama1.php

This definitely has to be up there as far as affectionate Trek parodies go. TOS is obviously the most iconic and it getting this sort of episode makes sense, though I do wish TNG and DS9 could have gotten something like this in a show at some point.
I do believe Professor Farnsworth destroys DS9 at one point in the show, using the high beams of the Planet Express ship, so there is that. And Earth does have the Klingon Embassy, which looks like something straight out of Barbie.

This is one show I would love for Chuck to review more of, it's surprising as hell that it took until 2020 just to get to a first review. As noted elsewhere there's plenty of Star Trek's influence on Futurama throughout the show's run.