Futurama - Where No Fan Has Gone Before

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: Futurama - Where No Fan Has Gone Before

Post by PerrySimm »

I counted and Melvar has got 80 tapes on that shelf, not 79.

Who's obsessed? I'm not obsessed!
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

King Green wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:15 am Futurama smartly parodies and satirizes a lot of sci-fi shows and movies due to how the the 2nd season writers "just winged it" and made clever accurate nods at certain shows like ST: tos.
The ending of season 4,5 and 9 left me unfilled. They could have done more to deconstruct Bablyon 5 and ABC news.
The show's ending was fantastic and heartfelt. All four times. (And all from the same writer.) Devil's Hands, Wild Green Yonder, and Meanwhile were all superb endings, any of them would be good finales, and they all were for a while.. The only one that they wrote as an ending that doesn't feel quite the same is Overclockwise... and that might just be because we knew full well there were more seasons coming at that point so that one never felt like a finale the way the others did.

As for not touching Babylon 5? Well lets face it. Much as any of us here might love and appreciate it, the wider audience just isn't going to get the reference. B5 is just too niche. It's one thing to make a random Cylon joke or the setup of Logan's Run, and later on the Matrix (which they were about a decade late on) but what are you going to do with B5 outside of maybe get Bill Mummy on to do a Lost in Space rif where you then do some B5 jokes? Wacky Centari haircuts? Mysterious walking toilets that speak ominously about the future? I think in one episode they showed the Babylon station getting blown up, but a quick visual gag is all you can really do.

There's certainly stuff in B5 to poke at, the show itself did all the time, but there's not much there broad enough to build an actual full episode around that the general audiences would get.

And I have no idea why you think ABC News should have been a target?
tjfd88 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 am This is one show I would love for Chuck to review more of, it's surprising as hell that it took until 2020 just to get to a first review. As noted elsewhere there's plenty of Star Trek's influence on Futurama throughout the show's run.
Comedy is harder to review than anything else might be a factor.
PerrySimm wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:58 am I counted and Melvar has got 80 tapes on that shelf, not 79.

Well obviously the extra tape is the pilot episode the Cage which was later spliced into the Menagerie. Or they count the Menagerie as two episodes instead of one as the official sources do. Or it includes the first cut of "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

Plenty of reasons!
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:58 am I counted and Melvar has got 80 tapes on that shelf, not 79.

The 80th episode is The Cage. It shows the love of Star Trek that the Futurama writers have that they not only included that but made it a bit of an Easter egg that no one drew attention to.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:23 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 pm This is something that ''certain people'' on this forum don't get when talking about STD and PIC. The hopeful future of Star Trek meant a lot to us - including I might add, Martin Luther King. And now its gone.
And I thought you couldn't get anymore hypocritical and arrogant than you already had you just had to go and write that sentence and prove me wrong. Maybe I should give you benefit of doubt but I can't help to think that you pretty much said "this is how I prefer Star Trek and anyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong for not agreeing with me".
The irony is that you are doing the exact same thing.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:33 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 pm This is something that ''certain people'' on this forum don't get when talking about STD and PIC. The hopeful future of Star Trek meant a lot to us - including I might add, Martin Luther King. And now its gone.
And I thought you couldn't get anymore hypocritical and arrogant than you already had you just had to go and write that sentence and prove me wrong. Maybe I should give you benefit of doubt but I can't help to think that you pretty much said "this is how I prefer Star Trek and anyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong for not agreeing with me".
Hmmm...
Wikitionary wrote:Noun

irony (countable and uncountable, plural ironies)
  1. (rhetoric) A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean something different from, or the opposite of, what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention, often in a humorous context.[1]
  2. Dramatic irony: a theatrical effect in which the meaning of a situation, or some incongruity in the plot, is understood by the audience, but not by the characters in the play.
  3. Ignorance feigned for the purpose of confounding or provoking an antagonist; Socratic irony.
  4. The state of two usually unrelated entities, parties, actions, etc. being related through a common connection in an uncommon way.
  5. (informal)[2][3] Contradiction between circumstances and expectations; condition contrary to what might be expected. [from the 1640s]

Nope, I'm not seeing it. Perhaps you meant to accuse them of hypocrisy? Because I'm not really seeing that either. Perhaps you should reflect on what the first flaw Chuck pointed out in Melvar was in this episode, I think it will enlighten you as to why they find your use of "certain people" to be offensive.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

What he explained was why he prefers older Trek to the current, arguably less optimistic Trek, and that certain people don't understand that emotional investment.

Nowhere does it say that you're wrong for not agreeing with him. Nor do I see any hypocrisy nor arrogance. If you'd be so kind as to point them out...?

Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for you to substantiate yet another accusation.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Formless One wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:43 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:33 am
Hmmm...
Wikitionary wrote:Noun

irony (countable and uncountable, plural ironies)
  1. (rhetoric) A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean something different from, or the opposite of, what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention, often in a humorous context.[1]
  2. Dramatic irony: a theatrical effect in which the meaning of a situation, or some incongruity in the plot, is understood by the audience, but not by the characters in the play.
  3. Ignorance feigned for the purpose of confounding or provoking an antagonist; Socratic irony.
  4. The state of two usually unrelated entities, parties, actions, etc. being related through a common connection in an uncommon way.
  5. (informal)[2][3] Contradiction between circumstances and expectations; condition contrary to what might be expected. [from the 1640s]

Nope, I'm not seeing it. Perhaps you meant to accuse them of hypocrisy? Because I'm not really seeing that either. Perhaps you should reflect on what the first flaw Chuck pointed out in Melvar was in this episode, I think it will enlighten you as to why they find your use of "certain people" to be offensive.
Irony, hypocrisy. Ultimately it is irrelevant to the fact that my last years' worth of interaction with Mecha is him making out that everyone in every fandom we share is toxic with the exception of himself. He has the self-awareness of a spoon.

And hey, he assumed that I was talking about him. I never confirmed it.
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:12 amIrony, hypocrisy. Ultimately it is irrelevant to the fact that my last years' worth of interaction with Mecha is him making out that everyone in every fandom we share is toxic with the exception of himself. He has the self-awareness of a spoon.

And hey, he assumed that I was talking about him. I never confirmed it.
When you have a known history of mutual antagonism with someone, the best way to avoid the appearance of a vendetta is NOT to make allusions to that history with that person. Not even vague ones, all that accomplishes is summoning that person to argue with you pointlessly. And if you have a history with multiple people? The same advice applies. That's why Chaltab called you out before and I'm calling you out now, because your approach does suggest that you have put too much of your ego on the line, allowing this to become Drama rather than mere disagreement. No one else wants to see Drama, we want discussion-- about Futurama, not Discovery. I don't know which one of you is in the right or in the wrong, and I don't even care. I just know that your approach is at best counterproductive, and at worst both of you are jerks. You can always back off and those of us who prefer to see discussion of Discovery limited to threads that are actually about that show will respect you more for it. Or you can be Melvar. Its up to you.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

No wonder it’s banned in the 30th century ... :)

I’d like to see more Futurama reviews, but of the more “straight” episodes. Despite this episode’s apparent popularity, I’m not that keen on it because of the reliance on references to something else. I much prefer the ones that work with the show’s own history. OK, there’s plenty of references to other stories throughout the series, but not usually tho this extent. It’s good, and I can agree with the message, but it’s not one I’m going to seek out for a re-watch.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

So has paramount tried to claim this video yet?