Star Trek Beyond

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
cloudkitt
Officer

Re: Star Trek Beyond

Post by cloudkitt »

Very much agreed with this review. This is far and away the best of the Kelvin films, and it's frankly criminal that Paramount didn't promote it. That motorcycle trailer definitely harmed this movie, I checked out after seeing it too. But then I wasn't even aware the film had come out, and when I finally did see it at home I was both pleasantly surprised and angry that Paramount hadn't told anyone about it. Dealing with some of the shared history from before the timeline spit was a really smart bit of writing, and something I definitely enjoyed. Even if that shared history is Enterprise :lol:

He's got a much more favorable view of the Enterprise's destruction. I can't really disagree with his specific points so maybe my opinion can do with some loosening, but I was annoyed with it. Even if it technically wasn't "destroyed" in the other two movies, it still had it's ass utterly handed to it. And the fact that this movie then tries to make us feel the loss, as though this Enterprise has ever done anything to make us feel that wrecking it is impressive, annoyed me.

But yeah, I loved that this was finally an ensemble movie. The humor was earned, Kirk wasn't an asshat, and though "the Beastie Boys save the universe" isn't a premise I would have personally chosen, it was definitely a film that I have probably grown fond of in the time after I saw it. As opposed to the other two that could enjoyable in the moment if just on account of impeccable casting, but in the time since I came to resent.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 pm
Orel wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:01 pm "Destroy the Death Star once, it's thrilling. Destroy it twice, it's diminished. Destroy it a third time but now we've made it bigger, and now it's just something to check off the to-do list, isn't it?"

A subtle dig at Abrams' other work, I take it.

This is my favorite of the Kelvin-verse movies, and it's a pity that this wasn't the second movie instead of Into Darkness. The first one was a mindless action flick, but I can let it slide for much the same reason I can forgive that other Abrams movie for being a shot-for-shot remake--rebooting a franchise can be risky and it's understandable that the studio wants to play it safe. But once it makes money, that should be a sign to let the creative staff be more adventurous. They have a whole Alpha Quadrant of possibilities, and it's good to see the crew doing something new instead of hanging out in the walk-in trophy closet.

As to the motorcycle, I kind of wonder why it wasn't some kind of futuristic electric motorcycle. Surely a recharge from the ship's power supply is more reasonable than hauling gasoline around.

One of the other things I like about this movie is the larger alien presence on the ship. Into Darkness was almost entirely human (augmented or otherwise), and even [2009] wasn't all that galaxy-spanning. It's good to see them acknowledge the Federation's size and really play with the possibilities the budget allows.

I hadn't thought of the parallels Chuck notes between Edison and main-timeline Kirk, but they make a lot of sense. And I wonder whether the lines Elba asked to redact might have helped flesh him out more. I agree that the villain is the weakest point of this story, though IMO he's still stronger than Nero.

The main question that the deconstruction and reconstruction asks, according to Chuck, is whether there is still a point to Star Trek. IMO, the film answers with a definitive "yes." It shows that there's still potential in this property and these characters, still new stories to tell and new ideas to plumb, and that they don't have to revisit the same old things to be good. Which makes it all the more of a shame and a waste that the Kelvin-verse stories got kneecapped just when they were getting good.
Serious question: has Abrams ever had an original idea? Because I am only familiar with him from Trek and Wars, and from what I can see..,

09 - TOS repackaged.
Into Darkness - The Wrath of Kahn
The Force Awakens - A New Hope
The Rise of Skywalker - The Return of the Jedi

He seems to be great at copying other peoples' work - and doing so poorly yet making lots of money. Kind of like Michael Bay.
He took a lot more for TFA than you might think. Rey is Jaina Solo. Kylo Ren is Ben Skywalker grafted to Jacen Solo. Though others see Xanatos and Brakiss, or Revan. The First Order is the Imperial Remnant. For TROS, it wasn't just ROTJ. It was also Dark Empire and the Thrawn books - in fact, we got a Reddit post where one of the writers, I can't recall who, had one of the Legends books nearby - and it was one of the Thrawn books, so the Death Star Destroyers are the World Devastators meet the Katana Fleet. And while it's cool seeing them on the big screen, I just wish they didn't seem to have fully embraced the "let the past die and kill it if you have to!" management they got now.

Back to point, that is just a minor example to the tip of the iceberg. But it is really hard to say how much Mr. Abrams has taken from existing lore, or is told to by the studio overlords. With ST and SW, there is a lot of money on the line, since those are considered the two main-line franchises for SF and space fantasy. We also hear insider rumors that Disney meddled with the reshoots to TROS because they wanted to kill his chances for working at DC, but so far, that is unsubstantiated. Got all this from my favorite YouTubers rather than MSM.

I was never a fan of Mr. Abrams' ST work, but I enjoy his SW work far more. I think his style of writing/directing works more for that world than ST. Plus I find his comments to be a double standard. He said he couldn't bring Shatner back in 2009, but... you could literally create a parallel universe, bring in the older Kirk, and there you go. And yet he did bring back Palpatine for TROS, and it's not like he was the first to come up with the idea. But give Mr. Abrams credit. He also admitted he could see why some people would just flat-up dislike TROS, and Mr. Filoni kind of took ownership over the failures of TCW on the featureless. It's not all I'd hope for, but it's something. Especially since, you know, with how narcissistic these big Hollywood types are, that's kinda rare now.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

cloudkitt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:25 am He's got a much more favorable view of the Enterprise's destruction. I can't really disagree with his specific points so maybe my opinion can do with some loosening, but I was annoyed with it. Even if it technically wasn't "destroyed" in the other two movies, it still had it's ass utterly handed to it. And the fact that this movie then tries to make us feel the loss, as though this Enterprise has ever done anything to make us feel that wrecking it is impressive, annoyed me.
Yeah, while it works in a storytelling sense, emotionally it just didn't have any impact on me, especially given that I never really had a sense of nu-Kirk's attachment to it like Prime Kirk's did. Credit for doing it at the beginning of the film and not the end, but there simply wasn't enough goodwill to make it an effective gut punch.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Power laces... alright.
thevirtualjim
Redshirt

Post by thevirtualjim »

1, Ugh! It always frustrates me when he uses whatever video service this one is - i can't fullscreen these videos! Go back to ANY of the other ones please!

2. I agree with his review. This is the first of the Kelvin movies i actually liked. Dont get me wrong, i think the actors (other than Pine) did a great job at portraying the characters in the other 2 movies, its just that the stories were crap; and leaned too heavily upon 'hey, remember how much you love the original version of this?' and didn't do anything else that was good. This one is like a 1/2 decent TOS episode, so I was happy about it. Also, Pine finally figured out how to play Kirk. I have to admit, IDK if this is Pine's fault, if it was the writers, or the directors from the 1st 2 movies that cause the Kirk problems.

I'm glad they got off the Enterprise that quickly as I really was sick of them being in an apple store.

Last note: As a GenXer, I am uniquely suited to fully grok the enjoyment of watching (a variation of) TOS to the tune of The Beastie Boys :)
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

thevirtualjim wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:17 am 1, Ugh! It always frustrates me when he uses whatever video service this one is - i can't fullscreen these videos! Go back to ANY of the other ones please!
I'm afraid that is the site of last resort. If you see it, I already tried everything else first.

I tried getting an invite to Floatplane. Got a form letter rejecting me, saying that as someone just starting out I need to work on building my audience. So that's going well.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Sorry, BitChute is among all that remains as he is slowly pushed further out (I don't understand how other video reviewers seem to be OK while he's pushed further into the video boonies). Barring the Baldurdash-style option, this is all he has for Star Trek.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
TheGreenMan
Redshirt

Post by TheGreenMan »

SFDebris wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 am Got a form letter rejecting me, saying that as someone just starting out I need to work on building my audience. So that's going well.
Just starting out? So how long does one need to be doing this? 50 years? :lol:
tjfd88
Redshirt

Post by tjfd88 »

I noticed no score or prizes for this one. I know Into Darkness didn't have one but since it came out on Christmas it was assumed to be zero. I assume that Easter doesn't carry that same connotation.

So if I were to speculate, the score for this one should be a 7 or 8?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

tjfd88 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:06 am I noticed no score or prizes for this one. I know Into Darkness didn't have one but since it came out on Christmas it was assumed to be zero. I assume that Easter doesn't carry that same connotation.

So if I were to speculate, the score for this one should be a 7 or 8?
He doesn't give a score for STD either. I've always wondered why.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.