Superman V.S The Elite

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Superman V.S The Elite

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

like really, I am surprised that anyone in Gotham City besides Batman and the Joker are still alive because the latter murdered everyone else. and if it's the society's job to deal with the Joker, why don't they? if they literally can't, then yes, it is hopeless and Batman should take the responsibility for it.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Fan on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Linkara did a review of the comic recently, and even tho I had written out my thoughts on the movie, I still posted a comment on his site that I will report here.
Linkara Site:
http://atopthefourthwall.com/action-comics-775

My thoughts on the movie (which, holy shit, this blog is almost 7 years old):
https://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/2013/06/my-thoughts-on-superman-vs-elite.html

---------
I have some issues with this comic and the story that surrounds it.
The point it is trying to make gets really muddled and ultimately there isn't enough of a grey area to work in.
There is too much of a gulf between Superman and the Elite, where is the middle ground? Straight laced heroes who don't have all the power of Superman and might be put into a situation where killing is the right call? Or where are the guys who find killing abhorrent, but are still all about the vanity and hedonism that comes with being a famous hero?

Not everyone is Superman and Superman is not always around to solve all the cyborg gorillas. In point of fact, Superman does not win the argument, he just wins the fight. If he were less powerful than the Elite, if they had killed him, then his values would have disappeared. The only point he makes by winning is that, "it would be really bad if someone with absolute power was an asshole" which is obvious.

There are tons of powerful evil guys in the universe. Superman beating up the Elite does not in anyway disprove their underlying point that the endless cycle of thwarting villains like (in the animated movie) Atomic Skull is not a productive way of handling things. There are beings for which death is the only reasonable response, and that should be the ultimate point. That the Elite have a place, but that there use of so much violence and with such disregard for the fallout is unacceptable... But that is not the point they make.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:53 am and if it's the society's job to deal with the Joker, why don't they? if they literally can't, then yes, it is hopeless and Batman should take the responsibility for it.
I don't think there is any reason the society won't or can't deal with the Joker other than it's a comic book world.

I'm not talking about the trial system. In real life, people like Joker will just be shot dead by the police during an arrest, and the investigation will conclude that police had used appropriate force during arrest, so are not responsible, and that is that.

Sadly, it is a comic book world, so the police were given the guns Voyager got: "Can't kill anything."

For the same reason, Batman should not take the responsibility for Joker's crime. Because if Batman can deal with the Joker, then the society also can, and vice versa.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Police can murder a man on camera for selling loosies. I think the PR flack for the beat cop who shot the Joker would not be too high.

Or it doesn't even need to be the police. Any random person with a gun could manage it. Somebody whose boyfriend was killed in one of the Joker's schemes. The Joker is a leading figure in Batman's rogue's gallery because, theoretically, you don't need millions of dollars and expert training and bat-gadgets to kill him, but you do need to be a great detective to unravel or foil whatever scheme he has set in motion. He's not a super-strong freak with crocodile DNA or the Ten Eyed Man or a hulking shapeshifter; he's just some guy with a sick sense of humor.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

word

I've spent a bit of time noticing how, for the general list of Batman's competencies, there's often an adversary that rivals and probably excels at one of those competencies. Like, Deathstroke is supposed to be a better fighter and Batman finds himself having to fight him. Batman arrives out of nowhere much of the time just like how Joker competently slips away in reverse fashion. So naturally another part of that gag is him getting out of prison as easily as Batman infiltrates situations.
..What mirror universe?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:20 pm Police can murder a man on camera for selling loosies. I think the PR flack for the beat cop who shot the Joker would not be too high.
The argument that the police in Gotham are not being as corrupt as the ones in real life is not as winning as you think it is. We should be striving to remove that corruption in real life, not demanding even fictional characters sink to it. I congratulate the Gotham PD for obeying at least some of the law, in contrast to real police who think it is all optional. What was it Mark Twain said about the difference between fiction and reality?
Or it doesn't even need to be the police. Any random person with a gun could manage it. Somebody whose boyfriend was killed in one of the Joker's schemes. The Joker is a leading figure in Batman's rogue's gallery because, theoretically, you don't need millions of dollars and expert training and bat-gadgets to kill him, but you do need to be a great detective to unravel or foil whatever scheme he has set in motion. He's not a super-strong freak with crocodile DNA or the Ten Eyed Man or a hulking shapeshifter; he's just some guy with a sick sense of humor.
Murdering someone, even someone who murdered a loved one, is harder than most people think. We're hardwired to try and avoid murder, it takes a lot to get over that basic bit of biology. That is part of the reason the Joker is so ill, that he finds it so easy. Also, unless you have a tiger park then it is a devil of a time getting rid of a body.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:30 pmMurdering someone, even someone who murdered a loved one, is harder than most people think. We're hardwired to try and avoid murder, it takes a lot to get over that basic bit of biology. That is part of the reason the Joker is so ill, that he finds it so easy. Also, unless you have a tiger park then it is a devil of a time getting rid of a body.
This kind of amounts to details also though since what he's saying is relevant. The issue in SvE is that people like Atomic Skull are threats that ordinary people have no measures against. That doesn't hold true with the Joker.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

OK, what's stopping a judge from sentencing Atomic Skull to Death by Superman?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

They could try but I doubt he'd do it.

The point of this movie is them trying to say that he should, I mean are we even trying here?
..What mirror universe?
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Actually the real question is why hasn't one of his henchmen killed him already? I mean he casually murders his henchmen all the time and not once has any of them just up and shot him because they had enough.