VOY - Drive

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: VOY - Drive

Post by Sir Will »

bronnt wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:09 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:45 pm So - it's Harry falls for the wrong girl. Again.
At least THIS time, when he fell for the terrorist girl, he actually was able to stop her plans instead of being used by her as a tool and then pining for her at the end of the episode. So that's an improvement, he managed to make himself useful.
lol, that is true.
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:29 pm Actually it would also be more entertaining if, in a Clouseau-esque pile up, all the various bombers did nothing but blow each other up during it. Man, I'd watch the hell out of that episode.
lol, yes.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:54 pm Couple things, I really like the white racing uniforms. They look neat, a good change of pace, I am sure they exist to be action figures with the Delta Flyer playset, but I still think that they look cool. I kind of wish that the show had more of these kinds of gear changes for event episodes. And for me, the white helps foreshadow a wedding.

Other point, I feel like this should have been a two parter and a season final. I think that encountering each of the space fairing races and helping them with speeches about the Star Fleet gospel, super science chicanery, and heroism would have been a good way to set up Voyager as a peace maker and the idea of having a big sporting event hosted by Voyager as a peace event would be a good story. You would only need 6 episodes to set it up.

And with the juice of being a two part big event they would have been able to throw more money into the race, and enough time for more subplots. Janeway and Chakotay playing diplomat (could even have them take very different positions on when war is justified as he left Star Fleet to be a Masques), Tuvok trying to provide security against terrorists and having to work with a security force mixed of the various races that are now making peace and using the Doctor to help with a forensic investigation, Harry having a dead end love story, Neelix and Seven having a comedy subplot about being race announcers, and Tom and Torres getting married.
Honestly, they could have made that their season 7. They knew it was the final season, why not pull a DS9 and have a full on huge multi-parter to wrap things up? Combine your ideas with the solid "The Void", and show what Voyager was accomplishing something by being in the Delta Quadrant, so if they ARE going to have future Janeway show up, there's a solid argument for why they should stay, as they're really making a difference out there.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Having Voyager accomplish more out there would have been nice. They could have done a lot more with their concept than they did.

The episode where Janeway fell in love with the duplicitous anti-telepathist had some nice character work. Mulgrew was able to show that being betrayed hurt. If he'd been an honest love interest, she would have had to decide between abandoning her duty to her command or keep trying to get her people home, because she's as irreplaceable as the doctor is. Real burden of leadership stuff that should have been weighing heavy on her.

They lose people, and that probably means other people being promoted into positions they lack experience and/or training for.

If they'd kept the torpedo limitation it would have been a nice reminder of how isolated they are. Or someone could have gotten sick with something that they can cure at a starbase or medical ship.
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm Having Voyager accomplish more out there would have been nice. They could have done a lot more with their concept than they did.

The episode where Janeway fell in love with the duplicitous anti-telepathist had some nice character work. Mulgrew was able to show that being betrayed hurt. If he'd been an honest love interest, she would have had to decide between abandoning her duty to her command or keep trying to get her people home, because she's as irreplaceable as the doctor is. Real burden of leadership stuff that should have been weighing heavy on her.

They lose people, and that probably means other people being promoted into positions they lack experience and/or training for.

If they'd kept the torpedo limitation it would have been a nice reminder of how isolated they are. Or someone could have gotten sick with something that they can cure at a starbase or medical ship.
I think the episodic nature of 1990s TV show greatly limited Voyager. Maybe the writers don't want to write themselves into a corner, or they just don't want to take the risk. But insist on keeping the show episodic and not break the status quo hurt the show in the end.

A lot of limitation can be resolve easy and reasonable ways. For example, in any space station/ friendly planet, they can make a lip service that the supplies they purchase include material for building new torpedoes. So in the early season they can make a big deal with their torpedo limitation, knowing they can easily fix the issue later along the way. However, they decide to fix every problem in the episode itself and off screen too often.
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:45 pm So - it's Harry falls for the wrong girl. Again.
They could have used that to their advantage, every-time Harry is an attracted to a woman automatic red flag for borg/illusion/ghost/villain if it goes further and the woman is actually nice/interested in him automatically assume she is up to no good.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That would require them giving the audience some measure of credit and recognizing continuity in anything other the Neelix's jealous rage. =/ So no go.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Hero_Of_Shadows wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 am
They could have used that to their advantage, every-time Harry is an attracted to a woman automatic red flag for borg/illusion/ghost/villain if it goes further and the woman is actually nice/interested in him automatically assume she is up to no good.
Well he had to be useful for something, and not just Janeway's punchbag.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Hero_Of_Shadows wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 am
There was a Star Trek comic where Kirk got a new romantic interest and, when she got on the Enterprise, tracked her movements aboard the ship, discovering that she'd sabotaged the shields. He explained later that he'd been completely fooled by her until the sabotage, but his experience had taught him to be cautious.
cambiata
Redshirt

Post by cambiata »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:01 pm The comment about not being able to make more torpedoes really hit home for me when Voyager uses one as a starter gun. Kind of like using a tomahawk missile as a starter gun for a yacht race. Maybe it was getting close to it's use-by date.
Ha ha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the torpedo. "Guess we don't need this useless thing, throw it out there."

Also, title of this episode has this song running through my head so I'm sharing the earworm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEGd8yS7wVo
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

The song that comes to mind for me is this one:

https://youtu.be/F_HoMkkRHv8