Voyager - Favorite Son

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Voyager - Favorite Son

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:18 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:59 pm All this talk about golden rice is makin' me hungry.
That was some tangent.

Though, in the end, Harry Kim is less interesting than the crazy things which happen to his DNA.
Which is a shame, he had so many chances to change but by the end they stuck to the status quo, and he is less interesting than rice.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:59 pm All this talk about golden rice is makin' me hungry.
That was some tangent.

Though, in the end, Harry Kim is less interesting than the crazy things which happen to his DNA.
Not sure how I feel about him in general. He seems like the middle cinnamon toast crunch guy, overshadowed by the tall/lanky and short/fat guy.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 pm
That was some tangent.

Not sure how I feel about him in general. He seems like the middle cinnamon toast crunch guy, overshadowed by the tall/lanky and short/fat guy.
Harry Kim is cornflakes. Why? Because the actual Dr Kellogg was a nut that designed cornflakes as an aid to stop masturbation.
Alex
Redshirt

Voyager - Favorite Son

Post by Alex »

...then the abduction of Amilia Earhart or the rape of Kim's mum would require something like warp 9.9999
I'll grant you the part about A. Earhart - but there are two obvious and logical explanations for the rape of Kim's mother being carried out in a believable manner (as told in their lie to the Voyager crew):
1) The "Space Succubi" modified / reprogrammed the DNA of Kim's zygote using "long-range subspace radio" or some such (not an actual physical rape in the usual sexual sense);
2) If the "rape" did in fact require the physical presence of a member of the alien species on Earth at around the time of Kim's conception, then that doesn't necessarily mean that that member had to have gotten to Earth quickly and/or returned to the "Space Succubi" planet quickly. Kim's alien "father" - if you will - may have taken a "slow boat" to Earth, impregnated Kim's mother, and then proceeded to parts unknown (at low warp) to continue spreading his seed. This second hypothesis is predicated only on the need for the "Space Succubi" species to be long-lived.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

This was the 'last' episode of Voyager that I saw, in the sense that, it was the final episode that was 'new to me'. The one-line summaries of the episode made me confuse it with either "Ashes to Ashes" or "The Disease", which I detest, so this episode got skipped every time during straight rewatches. Eventually figured out that this episode was missing from my ratings charts, so had to take the plunge.

Needless to say, it was a huge disappointment. An all-too-typical Harry episode, they give the poor guy something nice for once... but it turns out it's horrible. Be careful what you wish for, I guess!
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 pm Needless to say, it was a huge disappointment. An all-too-typical Harry episode, they give the poor guy something nice for once... but it turns out it's horrible. Be careful what you wish for, I guess!
I like Harry, but this sort of thing is why I haven’t watch the show since it aired. Harry having been an alien would have given him something. It could have easily been done without violating his mother or the “you would have found us” silliness.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Just say that they wanted his father to breed with a local but he decided to travel, and it was a concidrence he returns.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yeah I'm pretty sure the first time I saw this I was on yellow alert the whole time.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/

So as a bit of a coincidence this weeks episode of Delta Flyers (which is the podcast run by Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil) is talking about this episode and they found it sexist and uncomfortable to watch. They also thought that a lot of the dialogue made no sense, there were plot holes and the props were lame.
They don't say it because they actually try to be very nice about every single episode, but you could tell that they were not impressed with it.

Edit: Somehow I missed the end of it where Wang says that he thinks its the worst Harry-centric episode of the lot and McNeil gives it a 4 out of 10 - which for reference is LESS than he gave ''Threshold''. So yeah, they thought it was crap. Not sure that I agree its worse than ''Threshold'' but there you go.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Depending on how they are rating the episodes, Threshold might have gotten a “so bad, it’s hilarious” bonus.