TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Re: TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

Post by Taurian Patriot »

Apologies if I've overlooked someone else mentioning this idea in the thread, but...

I've also been rewatching TNG from the beginning, and in Code of Honor, Picard stops himself from launching into a speech about how humanity "evolved" out of its backward ways because nobody tried to impose their own values on us.

I suppose somebody in the Federation decided to either write off Apollo as a charlatan or ignore the greater implications of his claims, because otherwise humanity eventually came to where it is specifically because these aliens imposed themselves on us. If they did lay the foundations for classical Greek culture, then they're responsible for creating the environment that allowed western philosophy to flourish, which eventually led to Islamic advances in mathematics and science, which led to the development of empiricism and scientific methodology that we use today.

Sure, humanity would probably have figured it out eventually (15th century Korea was really big on scientific advancement, for instance), but how much longer would it have taken, and what kind of culture would have dominated humanity through it? Would anybody in the Federation want to consider the implications of that?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

I've also been rewatching TNG from the beginning, and in Code of Honor, Picard stops himself from launching into a speech about how humanity "evolved" out of its backward ways because nobody tried to impose their own values on us.
I desperately hope it's because someone there realized how incredibly offensive it would be for a white person next to a pretty white crew to tell an all-black civilization how much more evolved they were. I mean not that Code of Honor WASN'T a racist shitshow, but that'd just be icing on the shit cake. That episode earned its zero the hard way, it doesn't need to go mining deeper.

Also I think that Kirk and co have a standing policy of writing off the superpower beings various claims as overblown. There's a later TNG episode where there's a con artist pretending to be a God, and Picard proves she's just committing fraud, which is about how I feel about most of these super beings. They're not actually gods, they can just play them on TV.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

GreyICE wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:56 pm There's a later TNG episode where there's a con artist pretending to be a God, and Picard proves she's just committing fraud, which is about how I feel about most of these super beings. They're not actually gods, they can just play them on TV.
If it's "Devil's Due" you are thinking of, she does not pretend to be a god, she pretends to be the Devil. (That review was done only a month or so ago).
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Eh, God, Devil, it’s all about the same. The Devil is pretty much an evil Deity in current Christianity, similar to Apophis and Ra.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Void
Redshirt

Post by Void »

Are you gonna look at Pilgrim of Eternity?
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

This is why I could never take TOS seriously and still struggle to. Them constantly running into earth things in the vastness of space all the damn time just obliterated all my suspension of disbelief.
Elric4985
Redshirt

Post by Elric4985 »

I take it Chuck has never heard of Mogo
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

planescaped wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:03 am This is why I could never take TOS seriously and still struggle to. Them constantly running into earth things in the vastness of space all the damn time just obliterated all my suspension of disbelief.
Well, you do kind of have to roll with this a bit. For me it's the identical Earths out there that they keep running into. But part of this is being of it's time and some of it is about wanting to tell the story they want to tell instead of scientific accuracy.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Robovski wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:15 am
planescaped wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:03 am This is why I could never take TOS seriously and still struggle to. Them constantly running into earth things in the vastness of space all the damn time just obliterated all my suspension of disbelief.
Well, you do kind of have to roll with this a bit. For me it's the identical Earths out there that they keep running into. But part of this is being of it's time and some of it is about wanting to tell the story they want to tell instead of scientific accuracy.
The fact that we nearly had the borg be from Earth more than once suggest that haven't really change in over fifty years.
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:07 am
Robovski wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:15 am
The fact that we nearly had the borg be from Earth more than once suggest that haven't really change in over fifty years.
I could handle goofy aliens and campiness, and even plots with parallels to the present of that time... I see all the "Earth thing in deep space" plots however as just lazy, unimaginative and poorly written. >__>

At least Omega Glory tried being a parallel... until it went full derp.