The Lost World: Jurassic Park

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Meushell
Officer

Re: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Post by Meushell »

I like the San Diego scenes myself. Common sense was long gone by then anyway, so why not?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

It was honestly a treat to see Chuck go into angry reviewer mode. It's not what I'd want everytime, but as long as it's genuine, it's almost always enjoyable when the reviewer is truly passionate about the work they're discussing, whether that passion is love or hate.

Only gripe I'd have is that I can kinda see Hammond's rationale for wanting Ian Malcolm on the expedition. Since Ian's been their biggest critic, if they can get him on board, it'll look great from a PR perspective. And since Hammond already knows that the lady Ian's got feelies for is already on the island and that he'll want to get her to safety, he's got leverage to get Ian to go along. John Hammond is a lot savvier than he's given credit for.
A romantic comedy involving just one person locked in a small room.
Is it so wrong to want to see our lifestyle reflected on the big screen? :)
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Dang guys, I don't think Chuck liked this movie very much.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Man, its been a long time since Chuck's done a review this angry.

ANd that's BEFORE youtube refused to let it through without 52 hours of editing. Wow.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:34 am I genuinely like three things about this movie:

-Roland's introduction, and just Roland in general. ("Friar Tuck's on the move")

-The line, "Now you're John Hammond."

-The shot of a bunch of Japanese businessmen running from the T-Rex always makes me laugh.

I can enjoy these things in isolation if I pretend the rest of the film doesn't exist xD
I too feel that the other things are great, but what is that line supposed to mean?
That Peter's actions got people killed? Because I'm pretty sure that's all on the "heroes".
That the T-Rex escaped from the cage he was sedated, killed everyone on board without damaging anything, plotted a course for the ship to head straight for the exact dock where the press conference was held, then locked himself inside the cage waiting to be conveniently released by the people on the docks before going on a rampage in the city? Because that's all on the film writer.
I never got what that line was supposed to mean.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mabus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:47 am
SuccubusYuri wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:34 am I genuinely like three things about this movie:

-Roland's introduction, and just Roland in general. ("Friar Tuck's on the move")

-The shot of a bunch of Japanese businessmen running from the T-Rex always makes me laugh.

I can enjoy these things in isolation if I pretend the rest of the film doesn't exist xD
I too feel that the other things are great, but what is that line supposed to mean?
That Peter's actions got people killed? Because I'm pretty sure that's all on the "heroes".
That the T-Rex escaped from the cage he was sedated, killed everyone on board without damaging anything, plotted a course for the ship to head straight for the exact dock where the press conference was held, then locked himself inside the cage waiting to be conveniently released by the people on the docks before going on a rampage in the city? Because that's all on the film writer.
Remember, the script has painted everything the heroes have done as in the right. The line means exactly what it sounds like: ''literally everything bad that has happened today is you and not us.''

What does not make sense to me is that film John Hammond is a kindly old grandfather type who was screwed by Nedry. He's not even the evil capitalist that Malcolm paints him as given how John ''spared no expense'' in building JP. It had everything an early nineties installation could possibly want. And if this is what Spielberg was going for, I am reminded of Chuck's review of ''TNG: The Neutral Zone'' where he points out that having someone stinking rich tell you that capitalism is wrong whilst selling you a product that is going to make him richer is hypocrisy at its finest.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:35 am

Remember, the script has painted everything the heroes have done as in the right. The line means exactly what it sounds like: ''literally everything bad that has happened today is you and not us.''

What does not make sense to me is that film John Hammond is a kindly old grandfather type who was screwed by Nedry. He's not even the evil capitalist that Malcolm paints him as given how John ''spared no expense'' in building JP. It had everything an early nineties installation could possibly want. And if this is what Spielberg was going for, I am reminded of Chuck's review of ''TNG: The Neutral Zone'' where he points out that having someone stinking rich tell you that capitalism is wrong whilst selling you a product that is going to make him richer is hypocrisy at its finest.
Ah yes, I forgot that the script pushes the idea that everything the "heroes" do is good and that everything the "bad guys" do is bad, logic be damned.
Drooling Iguana
Redshirt

Post by Drooling Iguana »

The embed for part 1 doesn't work. It's viewable through the playlist, but when I hit "play" on the individual video it says that it's been removed.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Sometimes, a movie is just that bad.

Chuck hasn't had to do this in AGES, barring the Archer review.

EDIT: For the puns used in this review... *RIMSHOT.*
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Oh, no, I wasn't saying in context it was great, just in a better movie it would have been iconic xD