Ghostwatch

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mountain_King
Redshirt

Ghostwatch

Post by Mountain_King »

I'm mostly a lurker on these forums, but I must step out of the shadows for one moment.

Ghostwatch? Chuck's going to review Ghostwatch?

This thing is legendary here in the UK, but I'm not sure how big it is over there in the US. It's right up there in the urban legend stakes with the Orson Wells War of the Worlds broadcast and the Goodie's "Ecky Thump sketch (in which a demonstration of the "ancient" Lancastrian martial art of hitting people with black puddings actually killed a man resulted in one of the viewers dying of laughter)

It's going to be interesting to see Chuck's response to this.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Ghostwatch

Post by Riedquat »

Hadn't spotted it in the queue. I remember it from the time, I was around at my cousin's house that year and we all watched it. It was certainly pretty effective but I was a sceptical so-and-so even then so I'd already come to the conclusion it was all scripted part way in. Nice job of it though.
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

“Legendary” to who in the UK? I’m looking forward to this video to find out what it was. 😀 it’s certainly nothing I or any of my friends and family have mentioned in the last twenty-odd years.

Edit : 1992, so not something I’d have watched as a 13 year old, and not something my dad would have been interested in.

As for why Chuck’s doing it, he does seem to be more aware of British telly than I’d expect of the typical yank 😀 but then, that’s been obvious for a while , what with the Doctor Who reviews and all the Mitchell & Webb and The Thick of It references in various videos. I was also going to mention the Red Dwarf reviews, but the early videos sound like he’s not so familiar with that. And, of course, nowadays he’s doing it because someone’s paying him to do so; aBrit in their late 40s, perhaps.
Mountain_King
Redshirt

Post by Mountain_King »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:31 pm “Legendary” to who in the UK? I’m looking forward to this video to find out what it was. 😀 it’s certainly nothing I or any of my friends and family have mentioned in the last twenty-odd years.

Edit : 1992, so not something I’d have watched as a 13 year old, and not something my dad would have been interested in.

As for why Chuck’s doing it, he does seem to be more aware of British telly than I’d expect of the typical yank 😀 but then, that’s been obvious for a while , what with the Doctor Who reviews and all the Mitchell & Webb and The Thick of It references in various videos. I was also going to mention the Red Dwarf reviews, but the early videos sound like he’s not so familiar with that. And, of course, nowadays he’s doing it because someone’s paying him to do so; aBrit in their late 40s, perhaps.
You probably don't remember the Panorama Spaghetti Harvest then, or the other one Chuck should really do... Alternative 3 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_3 ) Then again the whole point of that one is THAT ending scene.

There is a bit of a heritage of TV Hoaxes in the UK where usually respected presenters go out of their way to do something incredibly crazy in retrospect.
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

I’m aware of the spaghetti harvest, but I don’t remember it.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

A very thin review of Extreme Ghostbuster, he seems that he is doing than doing a general review than actually discussing the substance of the cartoon, that have the same problem as the Real Ghostbusters and the movies. Hell, you can expect something with more substance with Renegade Cut.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Go to bed and once your head is sober, come back and post your actual critique again. You're not making much sense at the moment, if any.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
IronySandwich
Redshirt

Post by IronySandwich »

He hit on one of my pet peeves in this reviews. The incessant need of shows about the supernatural to include straw skeptics. It really does take me out of the illusion.
For example, if you're making a world where magic is so commonplace that 'Wizard for hire' is its own section of the yellow pages, someone going around saying "magic isn't real" is about as off as someone going around saying "electricity isn't real".
Ghosts in the ghostbusters universe aren't rare events easily explained away by promiscuous teleology. This story takes place about a decade after a spectrally animated gigantic marshmallow man roamed the streets of New York.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I've started a dedicated Extreme Ghostbusters Thread for discussions of that show and its reviews.
https://sfdebris.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=91508#p91508
Mountain_King
Redshirt

Post by Mountain_King »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:54 am I've started a dedicated Extreme Ghostbusters Thread for discussions of that show and its reviews.
https://sfdebris.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=91508#p91508
Thanks Crypticmirror

Although watching the review on Extreme Ghostbusters he did hint at Saturday's review being difficult to suspend disbelief.

I get the feeling he's not really going to have enjoyed it too much...