Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1 and 2.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1 and 2.

Post by CrypticMirror »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/extremeghostbusters1.php

edit: and pt 2: https://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/extremeghostbusters2.php

In which we are introduced to two legacy characters, the comic relief, the sneery one, the combative one, the weird one, and the black guy. And that is pretty much all the characterisation we get for them. It is very nineties.

Does the show say what happened to the other original Ghostbusters apart from Egon? Because EgRay was a big fanfic ship back then.
Last edited by CrypticMirror on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stryke
Captain

Re: Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1

Post by stryke »

Would have preffered Real Ghostbusters as I remember that being legitmately interesting as a kid being a show that despite being for youngsters could get actually disturbing.

Then I'm not the requester paying for it so hey.
DAv
Redshirt

Post by DAv »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am https://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/extremeghostbusters1.php

In which we are introduced to two legacy characters, the comic relief, the sneery one, the combative one, the weird one, and the black guy. And that is pretty much all the characterisation we get for them. It is very nineties.

Does the show say what happened to the other original Ghostbusters apart from Egon? Because EgRay was a big fanfic ship back then.
The other three remaining Ghostbusters appeared in the series finale, teaming up with the new group to fight the Bermuda Triangle.

It was an interesting show, mostly for the ghost designs and how gruesome they could get. Even had one episode that was clearly inspired by Hellraiser with Cenobite stand-ins. Didn't quite live up to its potential, but it had some good moments and episodes along the way.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I couldn't get into The Real Ghostbusters because I found the animation style so off-putting. Extreme ghostbusters, on the other hand, I loved then and continue to love now.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

A later episode where it kept emphasizing how Egon was "too old" to be a Ghostbuster (ie: in his 30s) stuck in my craw at the time it first aired, and now well, even more so!
But besides that, it's pretty good. I do miss the boppin' 80s background music of the original, but the 90s one was going more for a subdued tone I suppose.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Becca wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm A later episode where it kept emphasizing how Egon was "too old" to be a Ghostbuster (ie: in his 30s) stuck in my craw at the time it first aired, and now well, even more so!
But besides that, it's pretty good. I do miss the boppin' 80s background music of the original, but the 90s one was going more for a subdued tone I suppose.
Uh no, he's significantly older then that. Not a senior citizen yet admittedly but he was in his 30s in the original show by the time of Extreme Ghostbusters he's at least in his 40s.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Becca wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm A later episode where it kept emphasizing how Egon was "too old" to be a Ghostbuster (ie: in his 30s) stuck in my craw at the time it first aired, and now well, even more so!
If the show is using the movie ages (and its in continuity with the movie so yes) then Harold Remis was 40 when the original movie came out in 84, (Ackroyd and Murray were 34 at the time, and Hudson was 39) and EGB moved in real time to after, so it happening in 1997 would have put Egon at 53. Which yes, is absolutely too old to be carrying around a heavy 35+lbs pack and doing lots of running and dangerous activity, especially if he hasn't kept up with physical conditioning for the previous decade.

Sure the character might have been a bit younger then Remis (happens in films all the time) but even if you file off a few years to have Egon be as young as the others it'd still put Egon at 47 by EGB, definitely NOT in his mid 30's. Certainly too old to be running around carrying super heavy gear constantly and jumping around and being in danger. Especially since the cartoon ran for years and that certainly would have been a huge strain over time. The PROP proton packs were 35 lbs, so something with real mini nuclear reactors and metal would certainly be heavier.

A comparable heavy duty job for physical activity and heavy gear would be firefighters (who don't carry 35+lbs packs on their back) are generally only active around age 35-40. They'll remain firefighters until retirement sure, and help in major emergencies, but they'll mostly stick to training and desk jobs once they get older.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

I was sufficiently intrigued by the first review and my vague memories of the series (which I caught like half an episode of when it aired) that I went and watched these two episodes. I find it enjoyable enough but I agree with Chuck they just wrap up the Achira/Akira so quickly and with no real hoot it's just zap her into the trap, no fuss no muss, so anticlimactic and leaves one hanging a bit.

Garrett is voiced by Jason Marsden I always like that. Lemarche's Egon in this sounds more like the Brain then I remembered him sounding in Real Ghostbusters, which was a little distracting to me.

When Eduardo is about is about to kiss Kylie and the others yell stop, Eduardo's response is "What she's legal?" Hmm, yeah as Chuck says Eduardo's character seems to lack redeeming qualities.

Was it Achira or Akira I swear it sounded like it was pronounced both ways, the captions said Achira but the episode blurb where I watched it said Akira. The important thing is that Chuck got his patented offhanded reference/pun joke into the review.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:28 pm
If the show is using the movie ages (and its in continuity with the movie so yes) then Harold Remis was 40 when the original movie came out in 84, (Ackroyd and Murray were 34 at the time, and Hudson was 39) and EGB moved in real time to after, so it happening in 1997 would have put Egon at 53. Which yes, is absolutely too old to be carrying around a heavy 35+lbs pack and doing lots of running and dangerous activity, especially if he hasn't kept up with physical conditioning for the previous decade.

Sure the character might have been a bit younger then Remis (happens in films all the time) but even if you file off a few years to have Egon be as young as the others it'd still put Egon at 47 by EGB, definitely NOT in his mid 30's. Certainly too old to be running around carrying super heavy gear constantly and jumping around and being in danger. Especially since the cartoon ran for years and that certainly would have been a huge strain over time. The PROP proton packs were 35 lbs, so something with real mini nuclear reactors and metal would certainly be heavier.

A comparable heavy duty job for physical activity and heavy gear would be firefighters (who don't carry 35+lbs packs on their back) are generally only active around age 35-40. They'll remain firefighters until retirement sure, and help in major emergencies, but they'll mostly stick to training and desk jobs once they get older.
I recalled the episode in question saying he was in his 30s (37 i think?) which at the time made me wonder how old they were meant to be during the RGB era, because they didn't appear to be that young then.

I got more of the impression that it was leaning into the EXTREME-ness in a way I don't really like in any media franchise: making the original seem bad or past it to make the new team look better. And I liked the new team already! The way Egon was overwhelmed and needed help in this first two parter felt enough as far as that went.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I want to say Egon was 45 in Extreme Ghostbusters as iirc The Real Ghostbusters made his birth year 1957.