Dragon Age: Inquisition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Dargaron wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:13 pm Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who SF Debris ends up befriending this time around. IMO, the companions in DAI are a lot easier to work with than the ones in Origins or DA:II. For example, you can disagree with Cassandra or Solas or Bull, and as long as you aren't a jerk about it, they won't hold it against you, while companions like Morrigan or Andurs will resolutely disapprove if you aren't "on their side." Solas can even gain approval if you challenge him gently.
He's going to hate Vivienne. Everyone hates Vivienne. For good reason.

I mean maybe there's a playstyle and approach you can take where she's tolerable, but I didn't manage it on either of my playthroughs.

Inquisition was always rough for me because I loved Varric in II and so he was auto-include for me in III. He never once left my party which made it harder for the others. But it was a long game so most of them got some rotation in one of the runs.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Dargaron wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:13 pm That's basically the opposite of how I tend to play games like Mass Effect or DAI. The first playthrough is the "canonical" one, where I go in blind and don't concern myself too much with doing literally everything on the map (after all, there's usually something you're supposed to be doing, and running off to kill some unrelated mercs is kind of out of character when the threat of The Collectors is hanging over everyone's heads).
I very rarely play games twice, especially lengthy open world RPGs... who has the time anymore? Its either do everything the first time or not at all.

And I *really* liked DA at the time so I was okay with doing everything (and then being horrifically overpowered on the final boss...), but it really was a bit much.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Anybody also feel the war table operations were just way too long. I swear I like parts of that mechanic because you have to pick an Advisor's method of dealing with it but they should have only taken an hour at longest. I swear there was one that took over 1400 hours later in the game and I just couldn't believe it.

I also felt the mounts were pointless and didn't add anything to the story except a used slot on tactics menu or whatever the thing is when you click for potions. I mean the only time I ever used the mounts other than the race thing when you get them is for that stupid halla quest because on foot it kept getting away from me.

How cool would it be able to ride a griffin in mounted combat against an ogre? Or even better a group of griffins against a flying High Dragon to not have that plot hole of the dragon not just flying away everytime? It's probably near impossible to program but I can dream.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

"In charge of ordering paperclips." I understand that reference.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:18 am Anybody also feel the war table operations were just way too long. I swear I like parts of that mechanic because you have to pick an Advisor's method of dealing with it but they should have only taken an hour at longest. I swear there was one that took over 1400 hours later in the game and I just couldn't believe it.

I also felt the mounts were pointless and didn't add anything to the story except a used slot on tactics menu or whatever the thing is when you click for potions. I mean the only time I ever used the mounts other than the race thing when you get them is for that stupid halla quest because on foot it kept getting away from me.

How cool would it be able to ride a griffin in mounted combat against an ogre? Or even better a group of griffins against a flying High Dragon to not have that plot hole of the dragon not just flying away everytime? It's probably near impossible to program but I can dream.
You can either get the mod to make them finish almost instantly, or just advance your OS's system clock ahead to the finish time.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Even with the mod so you don't have to wait the war table is just a tedious chore with no worthwhile payoffs.

One thing I'm curious about is how he'll handle the Winter Palace. The "good" endings are basically impossible unless you know ahead of time where every statue is and which plot coupon is behind which door.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Oh I already did the system clock thing on my second playthrough. On the first playthrough it was tedious as hell.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:18 am Anybody also feel the war table operations were just way too long. I swear I like parts of that mechanic because you have to pick an Advisor's method of dealing with it but they should have only taken an hour at longest. I swear there was one that took over 1400 hours later in the game and I just couldn't believe it.
Those were a mixed bag for me. One the one hand, if you NEEDED one to finish it was incredibly frustrating. A good excuse to world explore, but stopping me from what I wanna do.

On the other, being able to send my minions out on long, high-reward missions before I quit the game for the night really fit the way I tend to play games, in tiny bits with occasional marathons.

Seeing how Bioware transitioned into a live-service husk of its former self I have to wonder if it wasn't supposed to be a micropayment hook originally, but was just kept in because they had already tied in story progression to the mechanic before some suits were convinced no.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

The War Table missions - I'd set some off when I started playing, then set off some longer ones to run when I'd finished.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:30 am I very rarely play games twice, especially lengthy open world RPGs... who has the time anymore? Its either do everything the first time or not at all.
Me! I'm just as likely to play a game again as listen to music again. Why not? Although admittedly anything story-based never has the same impact the second time around (mind you the same can sometimes be said for music). But I'm convinced that the sort of people who are always searching for ways to save time usually just end up trying to cram more in to it and feel even more pressed to save it. I've little patience (irony intended) for making things faster!