Rick and Morty: The Hypothesis of Contradiction

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Rick and Morty: The Hypothesis of Contradiction

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Linkara wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:43 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:59 pm
stryke wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm You're entirely right.

On thinking about it more I do wonder though how much the 'parasocial relationships' angle played a part.

The mandated Channel Awesome crossovers pushed a certain atmosphere hard, both with the films, and the more regular reviews, and I suspect did a lot to draw in those who weren't doing so well socially at the time.

Looking back it's probably not a coincidence that I did so much of my binge watching of the Channel Awesome content when I was seriously lonely. Could well have played a strong part as to why this seemingly supportive, all in it together mateyness was so appealing. Probably a reason why it was so damaging to discover just how artificial it was, along how much nastyness and exploitation that it was covering over.

Was quite clever/fiendish really, and you can see others still working similar angles to this day with youtube and twitch by pushing things like having a collective name for your fanbase, using repeated meme phrases like you mentioned, and a bunch of other similar strategies.
In hindsight almost everyone Doug work on was more talented or able to sue their talents than him.
And to be fair, MOST of the relationships and friendships WERE true and real. Most of us are still friends and do stuff together today. The artificiality was that we were all happy with the creative choices being made or even the business ones that WOULD affect us that they never bothered to ask us about.
True true, although I like to say you did a better job of showing off the multiples characters personalities better than Doug, Doug just had them all act like waterdown looney tones.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Really liked the QI reference in the latest batch of episodes, and if anyone is interested, heres Alan Davies Vs. the number of Moons:

youtu.be/CIqOsM6_3Dw
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Freeverse
Officer

Post by Freeverse »

I didn't expect the Gazorpazorp episode to rate so poorly. Not that I thought I was especially good, just that it seemed okayish in my memory.

I will say, though, that I'm not sure what a non-political lens for examining gender roles would even be. Isn't it inherently political? I suppose you could talk about things like pacing and characterization and animation and so-forth... but that would just be side-stepping the overtly political nature of the episode.

Also, this might blow some people's minds, but the thing that Chuck said the right would have a problem with, about the way it portrays men in a negative light... is actually something the left would also have a problem with! Yeah, amazingly, it turns out that being against gender-based discrimination actually includes men!

Joking aside, I find it a bit unbalanced to be so specific with one side when compared to the other. I mean, "not woke enough" could mean all sorts of things, from the fact that the existence of trans people is completely ignored to the more equivalent complaint that it portrays women in a negative light. It would be like if I said "the left won't like this because it's a misrepresentation of what feminism actually stands for and the right won't like it because it's too political" It's not necessarily incorrect, but you can see how the vagueness of it affects the way someone might perceive the two sides.
CMDR_Bob
Redshirt

Post by CMDR_Bob »

Linkara wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:43 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:59 pm
stryke wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm You're entirely right.

On thinking about it more I do wonder though how much the 'parasocial relationships' angle played a part.

The mandated Channel Awesome crossovers pushed a certain atmosphere hard, both with the films, and the more regular reviews, and I suspect did a lot to draw in those who weren't doing so well socially at the time.

Looking back it's probably not a coincidence that I did so much of my binge watching of the Channel Awesome content when I was seriously lonely. Could well have played a strong part as to why this seemingly supportive, all in it together mateyness was so appealing. Probably a reason why it was so damaging to discover just how artificial it was, along how much nastyness and exploitation that it was covering over.

Was quite clever/fiendish really, and you can see others still working similar angles to this day with youtube and twitch by pushing things like having a collective name for your fanbase, using repeated meme phrases like you mentioned, and a bunch of other similar strategies.
In hindsight almost everyone Doug work on was more talented or able to sue their talents than him.
And to be fair, MOST of the relationships and friendships WERE true and real. Most of us are still friends and do stuff together today. The artificiality was that we were all happy with the creative choices being made or even the business ones that WOULD affect us that they never bothered to ask us about.
I once moved in with a friend from previous years, and my prior roommate before I left said it might not be a good idea. Sure enough, a year later, things began to break down. His laziness, whining, etc soured me to him as a person. These are traits I wouldn't normally see when we're hanging out. You can't exactly pretend those traits don't exist when you live with someone, though. Anyways, I left with the intent of avoiding becoming toxic with him and his family. Unfortunately, his mother and him saw fit to corner me despite me telling them I didn't want the drama.

One of the things I found difficult was finding the heart to criticize anyone. I liked these people and didn't want to hurt their feelings, but I also knew there were things that bothered me. At the same time, I sensed there were aspects to my behaviour that bothered them, but they didn't have the heart to confront me. It's an incredibly toxic setting to live in, and I don't doubt that because you were all more than just co-workers, the confidence to confront Doug or one of the other directors about a scene or whichever was hard. You don't want to be a dick, but you also know not saying something could only work to the detriment of both.

I could be far off the track here, but maybe not.
I have a book on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095RXRDGG