Why Walter Peck was wrong?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Re: Why Walter Peck was wrong?

Post by Keyser94 »

Mangod wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:33 pm
Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:21 am Walter Beck in other had clearly had good reason and was portrayed like a buffoon in the movie intentionally, as say the director was a great Reagan lover, and loved his policies not matter how much harm did to the economy, the air and our water, is the reason why we are in this political landscape in first place. Scientist or not, they should have been oversee, they should have regulated, who watch the watchmen, not matter how good their intentions were, accidents happen, corruption happens, anyone could explode Manhattan only joining the Ghostbusters and knowing something about nuclear weapons, hell, they not even needed to use their containment unit, they modified their proton packs to reach critical mass, and bomb, good buy a portion of Manhattan.
Peck had no business shutting them down for the same reason that the Fire Department can't arrest you; it's not their job.

If Peck had any suspicion about the 'Busters using unauthorized nuclear tech, he should have passed that on to the NRC, but he doesn't, so he's either an incompetent or a gloryhound - neither of which make him right, anymore than a plumber trying to perform surgery, even if the "patient" needed operating on.
Or the director and the screenwriter portray him as a buffoon on purpose, because they loved Reagan policies, and how better way to dismiss the EPA and even the Nuclear Commission may making the character that should care about this things a buffoon and secondary antagonist to our "heroes", this is like the early age of movie internet reviews, were you can hide snide comments and bullshit arguments with the arguments: "I not making arguments in bad faith about the EPA without any logic whatsoever, is comedy, is a parody".
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:17 pm
Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:21 am Walter Beck in other had clearly had good reason and was portrayed like a buffoon in the movie intentionally, as say the director was a great Reagan lover, and loved his policies not matter how much harm did to the economy, the air and our water, is the reason why we are in this political landscape in first place. Scientist or not, they should have been oversee, they should have regulated, who watch the watchmen, not matter how good their intentions were, accidents happen, corruption happens, anyone could explode Manhattan only joining the Ghostbusters and knowing something about nuclear weapons, hell, they not even needed to use their containment unit, they modified their proton packs to reach critical mass, and bomb, good buy a portion of Manhattan.
Peck had no business shutting them down for the same reason that the Fire Department can't arrest you; it's not their job.

If Peck had any suspicion about the 'Busters using unauthorized nuclear tech, he should have passed that on to the NRC, but he doesn't, so he's either an incompetent or a gloryhound - neither of which make him right, anymore than a plumber trying to perform surgery, even if the "patient" needed operating on.
Or the director and the screenwriter portray him as a buffoon on purpose, because they loved Reagan policies, and how better way to dismiss the EPA and even the Nuclear Commission may making the character that should care about this things a buffoon and secondary antagonist to our "heroes", this is like the early age of movie internet reviews, were you can hide snide comments and bullshit arguments with the arguments: "I not making arguments in bad faith about the EPA without any logic whatsoever, is comedy, is a parody".
Will you shut up, this meta commentary isn't helping.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Sorry, but they are their words not mine, if you want to discuss this matter seriously you cant do it when the director of this movie portrayed the character like a buffoon, to not be taken seriously, even if he was right, because having clean air and clean water is something dangerous, of course that the peasants wont complain about it when corporations pollute their air and water, not like if families dies of cancer when corporations polluted their water on purpose in the past.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:17 pm Or the director and the screenwriter portray him as a buffoon on purpose, because they loved Reagan policies, and how better way to dismiss the EPA and even the Nuclear Commission may making the character that should care about this things a buffoon and secondary antagonist to our "heroes", this is like the early age of movie internet reviews, were you can hide snide comments and bullshit arguments with the arguments: "I not making arguments in bad faith about the EPA without any logic whatsoever, is comedy, is a parody".
How much for one of those tinfoil hats you're selling?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Sorry, but they are their words not mine, if you want to discuss this matter seriously you cant do it when the director of this movie portrayed the character like a buffoon, to not be taken seriously, even if he was right, because having clean air and clean water is something dangerous, of course that the peasants wont complain about it when corporations pollute their air and water, not like if families dies of cancer when corporations polluted their water on purpose in the past.
He was more arrogant than anything.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:22 am
Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 pm

He was more arrogant than anything.
He was arrogant because the screenwriter and director made him that way, he was just a buffoon, a literal straw man so they can make fun and discredit EPA, because that was against their beloved Reagan.

You can seriously have a serious argument when you only do straw man arguments, Chuck more than anyone should know that, but I think that nostalgia win over reason, and he dares to call himself a professor.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Enterprising wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:38 pm
Keyser94 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:17 pm Or the director and the screenwriter portray him as a buffoon on purpose, because they loved Reagan policies, and how better way to dismiss the EPA and even the Nuclear Commission may making the character that should care about this things a buffoon and secondary antagonist to our "heroes", this is like the early age of movie internet reviews, were you can hide snide comments and bullshit arguments with the arguments: "I not making arguments in bad faith about the EPA without any logic whatsoever, is comedy, is a parody".
It not a conspiracy, just look at the Ivan Reitman interviews and see how much he loves Reagan policies, when you see that, you can clearly see why Walter Beck was portrayed as a buffoon.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:21 am
Enterprising wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:38 pm
It not a conspiracy, just look at the Ivan Reitman interviews and see how much he loves Reagan policies, when you see that, you can clearly see why Walter Beck was portrayed as a buffoon.
https://tenor.com/search/shut-up-man-biden-gifs
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:17 am He was arrogant because the screenwriter and director made him that way, he was just a buffoon, a literal straw man so they can make fun and discredit EPA, because that was against their beloved Reagan.

You can seriously have a serious argument when you only do straw man arguments, Chuck more than anyone should know that, but I think that nostalgia win over reason, and he dares to call himself a professor.
Keyser, I never claimed to be a professor, I said I was a teacher, so stop inventing things to be mad about. Also, let me remind you that this is my place and you are my guest and I have asked everyone to behave in a polite way to each other. If you aren't capable of sharing an opinion without taking a swipe at others, you will be shown the door. This is your only warning, I am too overworked and exhausted to indulge you any longer.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope